Anyone whining about limited time (ie Mage tower) think of your own collectibles

This works both ways: The only people that are jealous because they can’t have an xmog that some other people have are also middle-schoolers.

1 Like

That’s something I find a people underestimate.

See, it’s not the shiny pixels that are the reward, it’s the memories.

I once played a little game called FFXI … not to be confused with FFXIV.

There’s a Ring, called the Rajas Ring, in the game. It was one of the best rings and it was unique at the time, because it was the only ring that was good to wear at Level 30 as it was Level 75 because its stats scaled (it was one of the only items to do this) with your level.

To get this ring, you had to do the entirety of the game’s Second Expansion, clear up to the final boss. Now, a small thing about FFXI, is that you needed a group to do ANYTHING at all in the game, and some of these fights required an Alliance (that is, 7-18 players).

Doing the content in that game was rather difficult, and it took a very, VERY long time to go through that expansion’s story quests, like, it took months.

Anywho, I got that Rajas Ring when it was current content, and that means I did all of the hard battles associated with it, some of them were eventually nerfed.

I did this with an amazing group of friends, and had an awesome time doing it overall. Some of my fondest memories of FFXI.

Later on, in Seekers of Adoulin, the game’s final real expansion (not counting the addon story content in Rhapsodies), they removed the level cap of these fights, letting Level 99 players solo these fights with ease, which meant that one could solo the Rajas Ring (it still took hours upon hours to do).

Was I mad that every new player could solo the Rajas Ring? No.

Why? Because I still had the fond memories of doing it. The Ring itself? It was cool and all, even after they raised the level cap to 99. I still used it, I still loved it. But the Ring Itself wasn’t important, it was the memories of getting the ring that matter to me. I had fun getting that ring, and I had good times with the TaterTots.

Nowadays I don’t play FFXI, I had pondered booting up the game once or twice, but… all the meaningful content still requires groups and I don’t know anybody there and I’m not a social person, and I’d be starting from nothing and it takes hours upon hours of Abyssea grinding to get anywhere in the game last I checked.

But, the memories of doing Chains of Promathia with TaterTots? That will always remain.

3 Likes

There’s evidence that they considered having new flails drop from the Sanctum of Domination raid but apparently decided against doing this, presumably to keep flails unique to the people who earned them from the Mage Tower.

As much as I’d like to see more flails added to the game, I suspect that the Mage Tower appearances will be the only flail transmogs we’re ever going to get.

I couldn’t care less. But that’s me.
I grew up appreciating what I have and what I earned. Not what Timmy and Tommy down the road have.

There’s a lot of people that would have a meltdown. It’s what happened to Beanie Babies back in 2001 or so. They released a lot of the original ones again and completely destroyed their collectability market. Believe it or not people do take pride in those things. Reckful took a lot of pride in having rank 1 title every pvp season until he quit in early cata until MoP but then got it every since he played afterward. First edition holographic Pokemon cards go for 5 figures.

Those are just titles but those actually mean a lot to people. Speaking of MoP, Blizzard made the second season of pvp gear’s elite set earned by just capping conquest, no rating when prior it was like 2200. It soured a lot of opinions. This was also why Blizzard decided back in Legion to not go through with the idea that getting 2000 in one season enabled you to access all the previous season pvp elite sets for transmog. People were pissed.

Ad hominem attacks on people for valuing a unique reward is schoolyard - and the same for insults directed to those who are appealing to get those same pixels.

But the all out onslaught of ridiculous insults to people that advocate for time-limited rewards is quite incredible. What does that help exactly? I think if I was a developer tasked with reading these comments I’d be inclined to say, nope, T20 one bear, that’s it you’re done.

I think if people want to get a chance at even a recolour of the original rewards then they might want to adopt a more diplomatic tone, because they’re not doing themselves any favours.

To be honest, both sides fuel ire against the other, but I’m pretty sure it was the Pro-Time Limit side that started it.

The time limits were set and people asked Blizz to reconsider and then that’s when the Pro Time Limit people started with the insults. Obviously the Anti-Time Limit people responded in kind and now the two sides very much dislike each other in general.

1 Like

I’ve been called things I can’t repeat here, (I’m sure that dude got a vacation), elitist, childish, selfish, scum, mean-spirited, a troll, epeen flexed, narcissistic, immature, god I must be missing some - I’ve been slumming it in a lot of these threads and people sharing my position have, by and large, shown far more restraint and maturity. You can go peruse them yourself.

I don’t really care that people start having a digital-temper tantrum and hurl mud at me - the heat doesn’t bother me. But from the perspective of somebody who (considering the bear release especially) actually advocates for the release of all recolours - I read your comments and I think, well you are definitely not helping the cause at all.

If you really want those recolours - then try not to descend into full-on histrionic meltdown. You’ll be more credible, be taken more seriously that way.

1 Like

I am hoping that the “you” is not referring to me specifically because I didn’t insult you at all.

1 Like

LOL no it was not directed at you - not at all - it was intended as global. Sorry if I worded that in a way where you thought it was at you :wink:

I didn’t think it was at me, but I wanted to make sure.

1 Like

wanders past

What, wait a sec … I’m part of the global.

1 Like

Lol - you’re golden

Some stuff should stay limited but not essential ones, like the Mag’har Orc flail (!) which suits the race you play. No to fomo. Put it in the store and be done with it.

I can live with this when everyone has a chance to get something they truly want. We all talk about being inclusive in our lives and this rings also true in video games. It’s time for a change.

I have Tyrael’s Charger.

I couldn’t care less if it became available to others again. I don’t even use it. If someone would get even a tiny spec of joy from riding that thing they’re welcome to it as far as I’m concerned.

Generating artificial prestige through, ‘limited time items,’ is such a scummy thing. It’s preying on FOMO (Fear of Missing Out). Especially when it comes to transmog. Transmog is one of the layers players employ to customize their characters, and is the one thing that should never have content removed or limited time to obtain it.

The prestige in these things should come from having it first, while its current. I got the 100 Exalted Reputations mount at the end of BFA. With Shadowlands there are a lot more reps added that make it easier to get it. Again, I am completely unbothered that I see more people with the mount. If anything, I smile knowing they’re just as happy as I was to get it.

1 Like

Exactly. People should be allowed to have fun and get the loot they want to. Everyone talks about gatekeeping the designs but I’m pretty sure 80% of the players here don’t even use their unlocked designs anymore besides some Druids.

I always found it stupid to gatekeep artificial transmog items. Especially the faction items (Alliance/Horde themed cloaks, mounts, transmog). They should make everything available for a price. You all want for WoW to run longer? There is your chance. Give the Blizzard WoW shop a true meaning to exist where people can buy former limited stuff for a premium price. Would be a much better deal than the new store mount they put out every six months.

Who was there first got it for free, the rest has to pay. Simple system, money-oriented and everyone wins.

1 Like

If they were smart, they’d turn the Mage-Tower into a way to collect old removed transmog options entirely.

I can’t recall how many times I completed the quests on Fenris Isle pre-Cata and got this robe, but when transmog finally came around, I didn’t have it on any characters and it never unlocked for me.

Can’t get that one anymore, and it’s a shame. There are plenty of other items you just can’t get anymore.

Imagine making the Mage Tower a permanent feature where you can complete challenges in different difficulties to earn tokens to buy some of this old stuff.

1 Like

This exactly this, THIS is why things should be brought back and allowed to be collected by other people. We just think they look cool, and we want one too.

If you want to boast about how rare something you have is, go and get achievements because that’s literally what they’re for. Don’t moan about people getting access to more cool looking things that they can get excited about.

2 Likes

Here’s the thing. If you bought an original 1978 Incredible Hulk action figure like this:

Would you be upset if a toy company reproduced it in 2021? Of course not. Your action figure would be worth more, because it’s older. Adding a new version of an old thing doesn’t depreciate the original version, even if it’s an exact replica.

Don’t tie your self-worth to an “exclusive” item or product.

I used this specific item as an example because I actually do have one. Though, mine’s well used and I think I have red acrylic paint on the rubber head, so it’s soaked in and completely destroyed the value of the figure. C’est la vie.

2 Likes

I remember how I met someone in game who was so upset about the Gul’dan staff I have which was obtainable during the Warcraft movie as a promotion item. It’s the only staff which suits the Blackhand Mythic Warlock set. Such items should be available for all players.

I’m absolutely against this gatekeeping policy. Nothing good comes out of it.

2 Likes