Anyone else repudiate M+?

I plan on heading into 25s atleast sometime this season. Got a pretty good m+ group recently been having fun with it.

1 Like

Idk I feel like blowing through the same raid bosses every week with the same exact mechanics with no shift or change at all isn’t necessary fun after like, 2 weeks.

Dope transmog though.

1 Like

would feel slightly better if the 11 bosses raid were like 3 raids (3-4-4), with different art style all over them.

Edit 1: Imagine if you had a quick raid of 2 bosses in shattrath back in wod, and 1 boss raid in skyreach, that would at least make it look better, than what it was (which people tend to go overly hard against wod)

1 Like

what to you think 10.0 will be a hella world gated grind…lol.

I would say that’s because that’s exactly what it is. Affixes aren’t designed for dungeons, they’re designed generically and then duct-taped onto the same old dungeon maps but with all the knobs turned up to 11. It’s a very “gamey” system bodged into an older, less-gamey formula.

It would come off as a lot less artificial if each dungeon had its own set of “hard mode” mechanics tailored to that dungeon’s look/feel/etc.

5 Likes

M+ is my favorite content in the game… as long as I’m running with my friends. I’ve had better experiences with PUGing low keys the last couple weeks on a fresh 60 Alliance in anticipation of cross-faction, but historically it’s been a nightmare that I do my damnedest to avoid, because while M+ being a high pressure environment is part of what makes it so fun for a coordinated group, it’s the same factor that condenses a ton of stress and toxicity in a PUG.

I think this really comes down to the binary reward/punishment of keys either upgrading or breaking, and making changes to that system would go a long way to relieving a lot of that pressure for PUGs without taking it away from coordinated groups.

My thought would be to split the death counter off from the timer and make it a second success metric. Instead of simply inflicting a time penalty, keys would have a permitted death threshold (perhaps lower the higher the key) which would act as a second success metric. At the end of the dungeon, beating both the timer and coming in under the death threshold would award a key upgrade. Beating the timer but exceeding the death count, or vice versa, would maintain the key’s original level. And failing both would downgrade the key.

One of the most frequent complaints about M+ is the forced pace to beat timers to avoid key downgrading. This change would allow groups who aren’t concerned about pushing key levels to play at their own pace, ignoring the timer, and as long as they play well and don’t die constantly, not be punished for it.

(Or we could just do away with keys entirely and let groups go into whatever dungeon they want and select their level from a menu like a game that doesn’t hate its players.)

1 Like

I don’t even know why they’ve stopped doing that. I loved this concept in Cataclysm and MoP.

I would also prefer some more mini raids with one boss or something like Crucible. Just some fresh air when progression in the current raid gets a bit exhausting.

2 Likes

According to whom? Jerks who think, like, well, jerks? Do what you want. You don’t need M+.

For others, like me, M+ is pretty much the only thing I participate in actively and set goals for.

Raiding takes HOURS and is grossly unrewarding if you don’t have buttloads of time and a dedicated crew.

PVP is… gross.

M+ on the other hand (yes, I’m cherry picking of course) is… doable in a very short window of time, has a consistent and constant way to progress, has clear milestones one can set, has rewards for different levels of achievement commensurate to the work put into it, is demanding of greater spatial awareness, mechanic knowledge, and class kit knowledge.

M+ is a place where I feel like I can tell if I know what I’m doing. It’s THE place to see if someone is being carried by others (even in a raid, this can be hard to spot on the meters) or if they know what they’re doing.

I like M+ because it gives me a quick and relatively easy way for me to measure my own performance.

It does, I’ll admit, lend itself heavily to hyper competitive people who are very loud, making for a crap experience for a lot of people unfortunately.

Brewa had a 10k IQ theory that I think makes sense that Sepulcher was originally supposed to be two different raids, but they got merged together and that’s why the ending of the raid feels rushed in comparison.

2 Likes

I’m afraid so, but there’s like 10% chance they listen, the problem would be, who they listen to; there are tons of player who ENJOY grinding.

Every expansion since MoP, has shown us the alpha version of systems that are introduced in the next expansion.

• MoP: The clock questline became the Ring, which became the Artifact. Scenarios became (Chromie quest, Visions, Islands, Warfronts and Torghast)
  • WoD: The ring became the artifact, the passive leveling “perks” became part of the Artifcat talent and the unpruned spells from MoP. Remember apexis? Artifact power now

(btw- they ere all glyphs and/or talents in wrath)

• Legion: M+, the seat of the triumvate thing where you upgrade a talent tree of like 3 spells… yeah that became the azerite gear. Chromie instance ? Alpha Visions

• BFA: Essences? you mean the SL conduits ?

And i’m sure the list goes on

2 Likes

lmao

Nope. I hate it too. I hate time trial stuff though in general. Im not a Sonic player.

8 Likes

yeah, i just remember i hated my self in a way, because i missed that raid tier.

That raid look so dope, it was the ultimate descent into madness, a piece of what should have been Ny’alotha.

If you asked me, Ny’alotha should have never being about visions in capital cities or in some random zones. We should have gone deep into the opening N’zoth left at the end of eternal palace, down to the bottomless abyss.

I think i have read it, and that would have been better. I remember reading something like we lost a Drust raid tier.

I’m not asking to have every single encounter be different, hey we can get a 1 boss raid to fulfill that lore ending, and give player more diversity when it comes to art style in raids, more portals to go.

More people overall moving in the raid.

Extra idea: Oh you lost roll or didn’t have loot drop from X boss in the sepulcher? don’t worry the drust tier has a duplicate of a single piece… go do that one to. have fun!

I’m hearing this so often, but it’s not really about “Well you don’t need it”.

Maybe I don’t want to do it and I keep telling myself that I don’t need it. Maybe that’s even true. But there is a lot of social pressure in guilds and random groups. Someone is a Heroic raider only and he keeps falling behind because the other people who also do Heroic raiding are doing easy M+ keys on top of that and are running around with Mythic raid gear because of that. That means that the bar is raised and there are expectations.

Also better gear is a great help to kill bosses. Having Mythic gear in a Heroic raid often makes the difference between kills and wipes. Technically one could say “No one needs this gear for Heroic raiding”, but in reality it’s such an important advantage that a lot of people can’t understand why some players wouldn’t take this advantage.

6 Likes

:man_shrugging:

It is what is.

:face_with_hand_over_mouth: it is the way they found to time gate passive leveling abilities

You’re definitely not alone. I despise timed, go-go-go content and have since the day I beat Metroid as a kid and had to precision jump my escape.

6 Likes

I have never done a single Mythic+ dungeon. I don’t even know how to get a key. I will probably never run a Mythic+.

5 Likes

10.0 time gated world system inc some of the leaks showed that as well.

1 Like