Anyone else pumped for the LotR tv series coming?

:roll_eyes:

5 Likes

As long as they somewhat respect Silmarillion it should be good and go on for lots of seasons.

Unlike WoT, which for some inexplicable reason, altered major characters and storylines and tried to cram 3 thousand page books into 8 episodes with zero tension.

1 Like

no doubt it was a time thing. Its more that Im kind of a purist with Tolkein. We used to run Middle Earth campaign in our RPGs. lol. I had a friend who i let GM once…once. lol. We had been a few years keeping to the lore and this joker decides to have Sauron make a surprise visit to Rivendell that never happened and certainly not in the timeframe we were playing in (1640 SA, if memory serves).
I backtracked by telling everyone it was a bad dream that magically they all had together, lol.

1 Like

They only have rights to the movie productions of the Hobbit and LoTR, they don’t have rights to any of the original source material or books.

It’s not a LoTR series, it’s going to be a bad fanfiction just like Season 8 of GoT.

Female Dwarves are literally male dwarves and have beards, but no we can’t have that.

Yeah, I used to defend Jackson because despite it’s flaws, I still love Lotr, and that’s probably the best interpretation I’ll see in my lifetime, but after The Hobbit, I get it. He spent more time on an Elf/Dwarf love story than Beorn.

All I wanted was some dancing bears and a two hour extended war with the Battle of Five Armies. He didn’t even do that (Really, dude, you’re gonna take the camera off a largescale battle for a WWF fight on a mountanside?!) Jackson didn’t even do Smaug right. Dwarves dropping gold casts on a dragon?! What?!

6 Likes

you play a death knight

Literally in the source material

wearing gear and armor not faithful to the source material of warcraft

Incorrect again, there champ.

In an expansion touted as the least faithful to source material

Considering the Shadowlands and Zovaal are mentioned in the original concept books you are wrong yet again. Just because Shadowlands sucks doesn’t mean it wasn’t conceptualized long ago.

it angers the heteronormative people like this one

The comment you replied to had nothing to do with someone’s world views, just that it wasn’t faithful to the source material. So you’re a bigot and making discriminations against someone unprompted.

0/3 and discrimination?

You certainly are on a roll today.

3 Likes

Nope, again.

I want to see Galadriel go void form again and Kamehameha some bad guys

:ocean: :dragon: :ocean: :dragon:

It’s not my fault your reading comprehension is subpar and you have the inability to use google to simply find the WoW source material which was published in 90’s.

Also you still acted as a bigot.

1 Like

Talking to yourself again? I’ll leave you to it, human male paladin.

Imagine being JRRT, and after living a life disgusted with the treatment of Jews in Germany and Blacks in apartheid South Africa, he goes into a time capsule and wakes up today.

To find a bunch of lore purists arguing that the only way to be true to the spirit of his work is to keep black skin color off elves and other races he portrayed as heroic.

Think about how many iterations of new fictional worlds were inspired by his. And how many of them also only had white elves for the longest time because of his. Because no one stopped to think, maybe minority kids deserve to see their likeness reflected in heroes of all kinds, and not just Orcs.

The sad part is if he could see the future he made he would’ve retconned it himself in a heartbeat (as he repeatedly thought about doing with Orcs in particular), but many of alive today with the advantage of hindsight are still so opposed to introducing diversity despite nearly no downside simply to appease our own subconscious desire for keeping things the same, even if the time for the old ways has passed.

1 Like

Highly recommend Prancing Pony Podcast for Tolkien lovers. They’ve also started companion series The Rings of Power Wrap-Up specifically for the TV series.

1 Like

That is what those who saw the book told, they were horrified to see that it has a context when it comes to changes in time and attitude, depending on the time, something that would repeat the same thing in this series, seeing that it is from different time before the creation of the ring.

I tell you that they are not going to respect the book, instead of representing what the book was about, they will arbitrarily create new stories, lengthen the story for its supposed 5 seasons, and it will have nothing to do with the fact that Bezos got his own Game of Thrones 2.0 in your streaming.

this not we can’t have that, but they don’t feel like it, and they won’t do it because they only care about their interest in bringing Afro-descendant women.

And worse when there was already a new controversy in the Horizon Zero series about Aloy and her cat furs on yours face I wouldn’t want to see a bearded woman like the Wolverine musical Hug Jackman in Great Showman, because they will only see her as offensive to WOMEN…

Yeah, most likely…I’ll never understand why movies and books “adapt” something, then practically ignore the source material. It’s pretty obvious films that are closer to the source material almost always end up being more successful than those that aren’t.

The sad part is if he could see the future he made he would’ve retconned it himself in a heartbeat

He’s dead, also the LoTR series is based off European folklore and tales so extremely unlikely.

so opposed to introducing diversity

People aren’t opposed to adding diversity to the LoTR universe, they are against retconning existing descriptors and lore.

lore purists

You mean people who want the thing that was originally published and not changed because then it isn’t the same item? You mean people that simply enjoyed something as it was?

many iterations of new fictional worlds were inspired by his. And how many of them also only had white elves for the longest time because of his

Probably because it’s based off European folktales?..or you know it was the author’s vision of a world? Just change things, make your own things. It isn’t a hard concept. If you want diversity then write a best selling novel and create your own fantasy image. Don’t change something because you don’t like it.

to keep black skin color off elves and other races he portrayed as heroic.

You made it racist when it’s about the existing descriptions left by the original author.

No one gives a damn about them adding diversity, people don’t want existing characters with finalized descriptions changed.

The issue with the dwarven queen isn’t her skin color, its because the Dwarves were a MALE led monarchy and the women literally look like men and have beards.

You can only see a problem with skin tones, and when in reality it’s because a woman doesn’t have a beard which is cannon.

You’re kind of a racist ngl

2 Likes

Lol the show is gonna be hot trash. I have friends who are Tolkien diehards, and they are basically pretending this abomination doesn’t exist.

4 Likes

I think if one pulls away from the books and just looks at the movies as stand alone, not being based on the material we love, that the movies are pretty fantastic.
Its just as a life time JRR fan we’re over analyzing every detail and letting it ruin the movies for us.
One thing for me that I didnt like, books or no, is those blob looking ‘trolls’ in LoTR.
Really looked like very lazy work.

3 Likes

They can be and will be reflected as heroes of many races, but, and I know it might be controversial, you don’t have to have every single human race represented in every single fictional race. Otherwise we’d have to have white, black, brown, Asian, Native American, etc. represented in elves, dwarves, orcs, goblins, trolls, etc.

There are some races, such as TOLKIEN’s elves, which were described as being pale and fair-skinned. Is it a sin these days to have a fictional race that is composed of only white skinned people? It’s also strange that this is only an issue when it comes to white only adaptations.

Just a straight up lie, trying to paint everyone who opposes this as racists, when we’ve said MULTIPLE times that diversity isn’t an issue and there are multiple races and cultures in Middle-Earth that are POC.

The race change for Elves in particular is not a show ruining issue. But the way they’ve made him look, the way they’ve made the Dwarven princess look, the way they’ve made Elrond and Galadriel look, people have the right to be extremely concerned with the direction this show is taking.

2 Likes

Jackson’s movies wouldn’t have taken liberties with the source material. The Amazon LOTR showrunners discussed some of their changes with the Tolkien estate, we’re told, but in the end there are numerous retcons we already know of before it’s even released.

Dark-skinned elves and other races (aside from orcs and their ilk) have existed across related lore, and were even alluded to by Tolkien. But they weren’t in Lord of the Rings.

It never bothered me for an instant that I didn’t see or read of black elves in LoTR. And, to the points made by many above, this isn’t all about black elves. It’s about the array of changes they’ve made.

This might - might - be a neat argument if not for the fact that it’s only ever applied to the works of white artists.

1 Like