Anyone else hate guild cliques?

you want the same treatment as the guy who put sweat and tears into 23463 m+s and showed up to every raid for 10 years?

suck it up buttercup that’s not how life works :wink:

just partake and youll make your place, like everyone - unless youre some kind of weird boy.

tbh if you just partake in guild activities and are showing up 100% of the times youre expected to - and pull your weight - youll be “cool” too.

2 Likes

I’m kinda guilty of this within my guild too. The only time I run keys right now is low keys for newer members and the only time I’ve ran anything over a 10 is with the older folks I’ve been running with for a while. I don’t mean to make anyone feel any kind of way by doing that but I’m sure I do and I’m not the only officer guilty of it. It’s just right now there’s no point in running keys for me other than the fun of it so I haven’t been running anything that I have any chance of dying in. I know my attitude will change when slands drops, maybe your guild will be more active at that point too

like waman!

As a woman I would like to make it clear to every person here that my goal is to make you feel as bad and excluded as possible because I am waman.

I am singular in my purpose. I will not relent, I will not compromise, I will not rest until everyone here feels good n excluded because feemaleeleleleleleeeee

2 Likes

Exact reason why it was hard to find a decent guild.

1 Like

Yes, I experience that quite often. But it’s just part of the game. Either you’re in the “in group” or you’re pretty much ignored.

1 Like

I don’t mind cliques. They are completely natural and normal and feel amazing to be a part of.

The yuckiness you feel when on the outside of one is almost always just your own insecurities haunting you. They don’t dislike you - they don’t even know you!

Ultimately if you are friendly, patient, confident and most importantly, not too clingy or needy, eventually you will likely find yourself smack dab in the middle of a clique of your own. :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

yeah man, it’s defo there, and it’s a weird situation in video games

the guild always has this “accepting” atmosphere, like they just wanna chill and have fun, you get in and it’s all memes or inside jokes between like 6 people, and the 20 or so others are just quiet. so many times i get invited to guilds, legit ones too, not just ones who invite everyone to bloat the numbers and i make sure to talk, even voice sometimes, and after weeks i still rarely get a reply

yeah i know cliques form and all, but plenty of people i met in real life that I’m in good terms with has been part of a friend circle, the difference is if we get along, they invite me to hang with that circle, i don’t get left out

it feels like a ton of people on wow are antisocial but found a friend by chance, and now just don’t feel like making anymore

why have a friendly guild invite, have discord links, and all this jazz but still refuse to say a word to new people

how did they make these cliques in the first place if they don’t talk to people they don’t know

6 Likes

I do think it’s weird and self-defeating when guilds form a clique that you have to be part of in order to get any value out of the guild. That being said, it’s normal for cliques and popularity to exist in any sort of social setting. People are going to find other people they vibe well with, and interact with those people more than they interact with others. Some people are really charismatic and will easily pull responses from others when they try to strike up a conversation.

I’m not trying to defend guilds where you have to be in the “in” crowd in able to get invited to anything, because again, that’s stupid and defeats the purpose of a guild. I’m just saying that you can’t expect everybody to always be your best bud instantly.

Speaking for myself, I don’t always want to be “on” socially when I’m playing WoW. Sometimes I just want to keep to myself and farm or something. So if somebody I don’t know that well says something in guild chat, there are times when I’m just not going to respond unless it’s a question that I can answer. However, there are some people in the guild with that I am close friends with, so I am much more likely to throw myself into a conversation or small talk when they’re involved. Same goes with Discord. Sometimes I’ll check to see who is on before joining a channel. Not because I’m trying to avoid or exclude anybody, but because interacting socially with a bunch of complete strangers takes more energy from me than interacting with people I know well. This isn’t to say that I never interact with random guild members, because I definitely do. I’m just trying to make a case for behavior that some people might call “cliquey”.

If you’re truly feeling like guild members are stonewalling you, then it’s probably best to find a new guild. But I feel like in a lot of scenarios people just need to put a little time in to build some relationships and make your presence known. It takes time to build a rapport.

1 Like

This happens in 99% of every guild i have ever joined since i started WoW back in early MoP. Its truly a problem how antisocial some guilds can be to new members. If you find a good one, stick with it.

1 Like

maybe just be more interesting. i never have this problem but im amazing so

maybe they just don’t like you

Brb while I put 10 years into the guild. Jk once that happens the vets will have 20 years.

What i’m feeling is your only options are to join a brand new guild where nobody knows each other

1 Like

Not doing that would be a mistake, the players that are interested in progressing will be reoccurring and will start signing up for events and keys and you’ll eventually start to group with them on high keys as well. While the more casual player that probably can’t handle high keys will be content with sticking with lower keys. It’s kinda a bad idea to invite a newer guildmate whom in some cases you know nothing about to a high key, some people will see it is an invitation for a carry and you could be stuck wiping because of it. Frankly, it’s up to the newer guildmates to include themselves into stuff.

Same…when i do talk to people there are high chance i end up with i knife in the back anyway.

1 Like

Just embrace the clique, if they ask if anyone wants to go on a dungeon run speak up. Ask them stuff, engage in what they are talking about. The case could also be that you were just posting small talk in the guild chat, if that is the case then the effect is that nobody was interested in small talk. Which isn’t surprising.

1 Like

Yeah I get that but we’ve been inviting a lot of people that are more than qualified to running 15s and higher, I just don’t know them and don’t bother. I’d rather try them out once our roster is back up in full swing where they are the x factor instead of some people from outside the guild. Right now there are a handful of active people from our raid team and 3 active officers in my guild, me being one of them and the other 2 are on running 18-22’s in pugs just messing around.

Basically I’d be more apt to do things like checking out the new folks if there were more of our core group to join us. It’s just very hit or miss with everyone waiting for the expansion.

Seems more like a social experience thing.

This is how it usually is when you join a new group in anything. You’re new. They don’t know you, they haven’t got to know you.

And most of the time they’re not gonna actively try too. It’s something that comes naturally, I wouldn’t stress out about focusing on it or trying to psychoanalyze it.

1 Like

“I just got these new pants but I can’t put them on. I drag them to the head slot and my toon sighs saying something about “that doesn’t go there you noob”. How do I fix it?”

/gkicked

Finding a guild you click with is probably the hardest part of the game! Recently returned at it’s my priority #2.

1 Like

Cliques happen I’m not going to deny that. But are they responding in chat? We use discord and I’m always in voice and I get a notification sound if someone texts in discord. My monitor is just to large to notice the chat frame on the side unless I’m bored and trolling trade.

So again I’ve been guilty of this, but for the most part its not intentional. I have shared experinces that makes me friends with some of the people in my guild. If they ask for a quick run I feel an obligation to do so because they do it for me in return and have done so for a long time. On top of this a lot of groups have specific ways to pull dungeons and teaching someone new can be difficult/irritating (and this can be something as simple as Al always interrupts star, I get x and Gar gets skull.)

Finally there is a huge difference between pushing keys with players you know and bringing in someone that may or may not be a carry. Normally I find out from others if someone is good enough to run x, otherwise I don’t run keys unless I’m looking to specifically gear up guildies or carry random people.

So in a way yeah you are basically a pug until you run enough dungeons to get to know me.

Put yourself out there. Join voice and crack jokes. Run people through keys that you know you can three chest for free, this gives you a good enough reputation in the guild that you’ll be one of the first people they look to when a regular player can’t make a key.