Anduin with PTSD. What am I missing?

That was actually pretty funny.

Drink! :beer:

1 Like

He did bad things. It’s extremely forbidden for alliance characters to be bad or to be punished by what they did.

Just look how fast he was forgiven. The record holder before was Grom in the end of Hellfire Citadel, from zero to hero.

1 Like

I felt the same way they should have made him a little more Arthas-y. Like when he was dominated he should have culled a city or something. If that boi went on an elf slashing spree and then was like yeah i sorta liked it tho i would have been like alright yeah go take a walk my man

1 Like

If I had someone forcibly making my body and mind do things I didn’t want it to do I’d be pretty messed up myself even if I didn’t do all that messed up stuff, and continue to worry that the presence never truly left

2 Likes

nope meatloaf. because i will do anything for love but i wont do that

1 Like

(EDIT: I’m terrible at being concise. So there’s a TLDR at the end)

Don’t know if this is an unpopular take or not, but I don’t have an issue with him being traumatized/depressed and lashing out.

I do have two issues though.

My first issue applies just the the cinematic specifically and how he comes across like the issue is so unique to him. Obviously can’t speak for anyone else, but to me he came across as so incredible pretentious when talking about what he’d seen/done.

Most if not all the things he’s gone through are quite common in WoW. Both the orcs and forsaken had to deal with being controlled and forced to do terrible things (and for much longer in most cases).

Many if not most citizens of Azeroth have had to deal with the deaths of family and friends. Many have been forced into roles they weren’t ready for. Many have had to deal with betrayals.

I understand that just because a person’s trauma isn’t unique that doesn’t mean it’s any less painful when experienced personally. However, from the POV of an audience member to the story, having to see the same character arc multiple times just because it’s happening to different characters is quite dull and draining to me. Especially cause these type of scenes are almost always delivered in the same slow, somber, and melodramatic fashion.

This leads into my 2nd issue which is with the method of wow storytelling as a whole currently.

Right now it feels like most the characters have the same personality, the same conflict/trauma to deal with and the same arc in regards to solving those issues.

Naturally there is a very high amount of subjectivity to this. Perhaps other people really enjoy these moments and if so that’s good and I guess that means Blizzard is doing a good job. Though for me at least I feel like these sort of conversations and moments are all the storytelling is recently.

I’m not saying everything needs to be tough and macho and gritty all the time. However, I do believe you can tell an emotionally evocative story without the majority of the scenes feeling so overly introspective and depressed every time.

I guess if I were to summarize my issue it’s that the storytelling rarely feels like it has impactful moments that are exciting. Even our triumphs often have a somber feel to me IMO. Again, it doesn’t need to be rage and violence to be exciting. A variety in the type of personal conflict the characters experience and a variety of way in which they handle them would make for a more exciting story IMO.

TLDR/Conclusion: I don’t expect award winning story telling from an MMO but I do expect and engaging/exciting story. The current way that character trauma, doubt, and weakness is handle feels like it’s the same thing every time with every character. This is naturally subjective so perhaps I’m in the minority but currently this is my biggest issue with wow storytelling

2 Likes

I get ptsd of being called the Mall walker, I think even Anduin feels the same.

He wasn’t deserving of being a leader when he lead the attack on UC and failed to take into account it’s the blight capital of Azeroth. Truthfully, everyone involved in that whole debacle was pretty dumb and it’s because of that I have a hard time feeling sorry for his character and far too many others. Don’t expect me to have sympathy for a character when you make them do really dumb things that cause others to die or put them in situations they never belonged.

1 Like

The safe word is always, “harder.”

Everyone knows that.

Nah its obvious you have problems with attention span. lol This guy must have a lot scars…cutting himself with his own edge. :roll_eyes: Anduin was forced to attack people and steal their sigils and he did indeed kill people too. They may have been nameless NPCs but he killed people. He also seemed to enjoy it at times. Once again you are wrong.

2 Likes

Anyone who played Shadowlands can relate to Anduin’s PTSD.

3 Likes

Yes, I have literally had both for over 20 years now.

And I feel completely justified in saying this is an unrealistic portrayal of 99.9% of it.

1 Like

haha… yeah… sure… I bet Arthas is dying of envy. :smirk:

1 Like

That’s the truth.

1 Like

Shadowlands did a fine job showing it, yes it was subtle but people not being able to catch subtle isn’t blizzards fault

1 Like

Something so important that gets a CGI cinematic shouldn’t be subtle… This is my point.

3 Likes

Completely agree!

2 Likes

It is obvious that you have zero comprehension on mental illness. Yes it is a real thing and yes I know many people suffering from it and they were not taken over by an evil tyrant. Get over yourself.

4 Likes

With your six posts I feel so honored that you chose to use one of them on my thread!

3 Likes

#TheFirstForsaken

I mean a large number of the races are descended from robots and they have souls right? I mean the soul is just the programming that inhabits the body.

We’ve seen this with the titans and they’re very likely the same thing.

1 Like