Anduin Fight, what's up?

It is the hardest fight on normal, except for tanks who have tighter mechs on the later 3 bosses from what I understand.

1. You need to be coordinated. Callouts in vc, addons, etc. help. Everyone needs to do their part, because 1 goofball can kill 4+ people, if not cause a wipe.
  2. Smaller groups help with blasphemy. I’ve done 20m PuGs that were a mess and my first kill was 13m I believe. We have people with gold stand still, people with purple run to a match for cleaner/quicker execution, until theres 1-2 matches left and they can more-or-less freely run to their match.
  3. Everyone should stack in barrier, except for people who need to run out stars.
  4. Assign CCers (long CC that breaks on dmg > short stuns), we do hunter frost trap.
  5. Groups for circle, there are addon timers for every mech and so people should have an understanding of where they need to be, when they need to be there in order to do the mechs.

My guild has normal Anduin on farm and usually one-shot, but there’s always the occasional goof.

There are DPS check bosses and mechanics check bosses. Anduin is a pattern. Barrier > blasphemy > groups downstairs > barrier > blasphemy > groups downstairs

1 Like

It’s not an easy boss. You have both a raid co-ordination check (blasphemy, split groups), a personal responsibility check (blasphemy), and a numbers check (have to kill/heal enough of the adds in each down phase to have 100 energy)

2 Likes

It is quite a bit more difficult than the fights leading up to it. I’ve tried a fair amount of normal pugs and I’ve had more than one group one shot every boss up to Anduin no problem, then fall apart after wiping on him for an hour.

It’s really quite doable though, but I’d say he feels more like a final boss than anyone else in the raid.

2 Likes

The issue is Anduin has one shot mechanics in Normal, which are normally not until Heroic+.

If a Blasphemy explosion occurs, it almost always kills both people. Then the 2 people they were SUPPOSED to pair with die as well.

Which means one mistake kills 4 people, which is almost always a wipe.

Mechanics like this are not for Normal. They’re for Heroic and Mythic. The damage is significantly overtuned for a Normal Mechanic.

One mistake should not kill 4 people in Normal. Especially when the mistake is as simple as 2 people running the same direction away from Anduin when he starts Blasphemy. Cause you literally can’t call out every single way everyone is running.

It’s significantly easier if your entire raid is ranged, but the more melee you have, the more punishing Blasphemy becomes.

I’ve yet to be present for one of the days my guild downs Normal Anduin - they have no trouble with Rygelon, Lords, or Jailer from what I’m told, but Anduin always gives trouble because it’s such an unforgiving fight in Normal.

They’re on Heroic Halondrus, I believe? Almost at Heroic Anduin. So there’s no reason they should be struggling on Normal Anduin.

4 Likes

Anduin is very much a mechanics fight, tuning isn’t really an issue.
My personal response would be to see what your raid is dying to, or if you feel open to it you could share your logs for the fight and others can have a look.

The big 4 things of Anduin in my opinion are

• Blasphemy, are people not getting these dispelled by moving to the opposite colour. Are you losing many to the mechanic?

• Befouled Barrier, are people stacking and absorbing the healing absorbtion or is it being allowed to explode?

• Anduin’s Hope, when you reach the Lich King intermission does Anduin have 100 energy? If he does not have 100 energy the fight is a wipe as it provides a massive defensive boost for the Remorseless Winter of the Lich King

• Phase 2 adds, I can’t recall the name of these but they cast a raid wide fear if their cast gets off. Are they being interrupted and CCd or are you getting feared?

Those are probably the biggest wipe mechanics during the fight in my opinion.
Other things may contribute to a wipe and the overall damage being high, but those mechanics have to be done successfully to beat the boss.

2 Likes

Blasphemy on normal will kill players who don’t use a defensive, yes. but you can survive it with even just a minor defensive on normal with the amount of gear that raid has.

I remember when normal Sepulcher had more one-shot mechs. I think the Xy’mox rings aren’t one-shots anymore, but they certainly were when the raid was released.

Meanwhile in LFR, you can completely ignore Blasphemy, because the damage it deals is less than those slap bracelets.

1 Like

Wellll anduin is basically designed like an end raid boss, i love the anduin fight, one of my favorites in the raid (other then jailer).
Anduin is just a heavy mechanics fight, doo you have a proper raid leader making calls thrpughput the fight?

1 Like

Anduin fight was supposed to be the final boss of 9.2 but they cut it short to end SL because it was a wreck.

1 Like

It’s the first real mechanics check.

Damage is irrelevant until you get to the Arthas phase, but most people pop all their cooldowns on Anduin (e.g. First Sigil on pull which will not be up for Arthas) and save none for the downstairs if they’re designated to go down.

lmao.

2 Likes

Anduin is the true endboss. Its also a mechanic fight. if you screw up the down parts, and each part after, even ones then it can lead to a wipe. If you say where you getting upto/screwing up we may be able help you

On the flip side, i have pugged it a few times. If a guild cant do now then you/they suck or somone/some people are screwing you up, even more so if your on discord together

I am not doubting you, but were did you get this information from I really like to find out more about was planned and then scrapped.

As many have stated it’s mechanics but the big issue is at what part of the fight does the boss give you troubles?

Is it the phases when the raid has to split to go into the down phase to kill and heal adds? Do you have the crowd control on that phase and the adds after the first lich king phase? Is your dps saving big CD’s on the Lich King Phases to pump as much dmg as possible? Are people getting confused with the dark and light circle matching game?
Are people hitting others with stars? Is the raid team soaking the bubble (health stones and pots and Healing CDs help there).

So you can see there is a number of things you need to ask yourselves, what are you stuck on? I know we found a mechanical bug with the dark and light circle chat bubbles, which made people shout out the wrong color they had in bubble chat. Once our raid leader removed that option to not show the bubble chat, it cleaned up that mechanic as a problem and we started to get through it all.

This is a very good point, many dps players (healers too to be fair) run entire dungeons and raids without ever using their defensive cooldown. They may not even have it hotkeyed to be honest.

1 Like

From what I can tell, blasphemy does about 70k magic damage on normal. My 236 alt hunter can either just turtle it, or survive with regular devo, rally, fort, and survival of the fittest. This isn’t taking into account stuff like resilience of the hunter, or marksman’s advantage. And from what OP has posted, the rest of the guild has an extra 10-25 ilvls on this alt.

1 Like

If you’re having trouble on an encounter, be sure that everyone’s got a Vantus rune.

It goes without saying that everyone should be fully enchanted, gems in all sockets with double legendaries, and should be pre-potting on the pull, esp as it is progression.

We usually have raid groups 1 & 2 go downstairs first, then 3 & 4 second. CC adds downstairs as the big add is killed then clean up.

Save hero/timewarp/lust for when the Lich King appears and use all your AOE abilities to whittle down Anduin’s HP% superfast.

Last phase is mostly about avoiding the walls of dead and finally, separate groups going into the middle to clear their debuff "group 1 go! – now 2 " etc… so that not everyone goes into the centre and wipes the raid.

Win!

PS, if people are missing their set pieces and haven’t got them by now, they really should be running LFR for those pieces / trading in Sandworn Relics from ZM to convert for the Creation Catalyst (do the Legs first so as not to be forced to do 3 bosses then Halondrus wing) > the set pieces are a big buff up for dps!

1 Like

Not really a mechanic anymore. pots are a 5 min CD that doesn’t care about combat, so using one on pull will just mean it’s going to be on cooldown when you actually want it for anduin (intermission 1, about 3 min in when you lust)

1 Like

Naw its been nerfed a lot alrdy

2 Likes

You dont need 2 equal halves

You can either

Kill big add 20 points, kill 4 little adds 20 points and heal all 4 healer adds 20 points

Which means team 1 does everything, team 2 just single targets the big guy and heals the healer adds 100 points easy

You can literally ignore dps while doing the colors phase (most of the fight damage is done in the lich king phases).

Sometimes running +1 healer to deal with the shield phase helps if thats your struggle but overall the fight is quite simple on normal.

I absolutely agree. Anduin is still much better than the last two on heroic. Ever since Jaina the last fight of every raid has been unnecessarily convoluted. Probably m+ carries a lot of the blame. By the time you hit last boss of a heroic raid a lot of players are mythic geared from vaults. So they had to tune the fights accordingly.