And that kids is why sharding is unacceptable

11/09/2018 10:38 AMPosted by Ratsmats

Here's the thing about it though, I'm not worried about the launch rush because they are having sharding. You are the one that's worried. Tell me again how this post is suppose to make sense?

You're worried about the launch rush if they do not have sharding.

Wow nick was right, you do have TERRIBLE reading comprehension. I even explained myself in the next post and you still embarrassed yourself by posting this lol.

I am not worried about launch rush even without sharding, I could personally care less if its mayhem and it crashes. I just UNDERSTAND that blizzard is worried about it so they have sharding.

You're worry is about the first brief period of time, while my worry is about the long term game as a whole. I'm looking at the big picture and am willing to put up with a little inconvenience and competition in order to give the long term game a better chance of remaining true to vanilla.

I LOVE IT THAT YOU KEEP SAYING THIS!!!! It really does warm my heart because when I am being rude to someone, sometimes I stop myself and say "Man maybe I am going to rough on this guy maybe he just needs it explained better to him", but then you say something this dumb and it just warms my heart knowing that you are in fact, that stupid.

I really want you to read this and understand this. YOU are the ones that are worried about the short term, WE are the ones worried about the long term. I know this is hard to wrap your head around but let me explain.

You want your vanilla RIGHT NOW and you CAN'T wait 2 more weeks to have anything other than what YOU want. We want server populations to be healthy throughout vanilla and sharding, believe it or not, may help with this.

How? Well go back and watch the Ion video where he talks about sharding. Do you even know why he brought up sharding? It was when he was asked a question about what their plan is for dwindling of populations and how they plan on dealing with potential dead servers. He implies that having bigger servers that allow for 'tourists' to come in they can allow for server caps to reach a healthy limit once everything is in a solid state and the server is mature.

Let me explain THAT to you just so you really get it. Lets say they want 3k people on the server. Well 3k people on release, they could probably handle, but this also means you will need more servers than you would normally so lets just says we have 20 servers. Well... what if... lets say 20% of those players are tourists. Now this would mean 600 players per realm is going to leave, but you all know this isn't what actually happens. This could mean 20-50% of your server could actually just die because of populations and now you have to merge servers, which ruins the experience EVEN MORE.

Well lets says sharding is here to save on some of the server instabilities that comes with increasing caps. Well now we can have 5k players on a realm. So instead of having 20 servers, now we can have 12 server. Well now when those 20% tourists leave.. guess what? Most of the servers are going to be exactly at the population they need to be at!

Now this doesn't mean sharding is good beyond that, but it could help at the start to prolong the servers life. I just find it funny, because you think you are actually looking for the health of the server long term by getting rid of sharding when in reality it will do the exact opposite.
11/09/2018 10:46 AMPosted by Hermywerm
11/09/2018 10:40 AMPosted by Oldallagala
I just understand that there may be a necessity for it. Others can't wrap their brains around that for some reason as if they are experts on server capacities for World of Warcraft classic.

Thanks for the reply and yeah I agree with this statement. I'd absolutely adore if Blizzard released an authentic 1.12 experience but I knew this was not a possibility when they chose to use the new hardware.

I feel as though the conversations on this board would become far more constructive if those against sharding moved their viewpoints to "Okay. But if they shard lvl 12+ we're gone and your servers are dead now". I think like that's a more fair compromise and more threatening to Blizzard than threatening not to play at all; which is simply not true for most of us. I think most people here will at least try it no matter WHAT they do.

For sure, but agreement across the board doesn't make for good forums posts unfortunately. And yes I totally agree, if they extended sharding past a certain point or added it later in the game for events I would 110% be out
11/09/2018 10:35 AMPosted by Ratsmats

We're just asking Blizzard to give us a reason to believe that they may actually intend to give us "the best" by starting out on the right foot and not adding sharding, which has such a detrimental affect on community.

They won't commit to something they don't know.
They cannot predict it won't be needed later on.

Server stability trumps all my friend.
11/09/2018 10:38 AMPosted by Ratsmats

Here's the thing about it though, I'm not worried about the launch rush because they are having sharding. You are the one that's worried. Tell me again how this post is suppose to make sense?

I'm worried about what will happen after the initial rush if they even get a toe in the door with sharding.

You're worry is about the first brief period of time, while my worry is about the long term game as a whole. I'm looking at the big picture and am willing to put up with a little inconvenience and competition in order to give the long term game a better chance of remaining true to vanilla.

So their fear is based on a certain outcome, to which your solution is telling a large portion of the community not to play.

Your fear is based on.... fear? You do realize that Classic will always run on the same architecture as Live, and they can enable sharding at any point in time?

I think the person with the most inclusive mindset should win, and that's not you Ratsmats. Your solution is to tell the people who made this possible (not you, not the people who cancelled subs in 2007 and went to illegal pservers) to not play the game you so clearly think is yours.

I suggest you just sit this one out. Go back to pservers. They do it so much better, right? Blizzard is just going to lie to you, disappoint you, and muck it all up. You can't trust them. Brack is a liar and Ion didn't pwomise. So crawl off back to your hidey hole and carry on as you have for the last 10+ years.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Wow nick was right, you do have TERRIBLE reading comprehension. I even explained myself in the next post and you still embarrassed yourself by posting this lol.

I am not worried about launch rush even without sharding, I could personally care less if its mayhem and it crashes. I just UNDERSTAND that blizzard is worried about it so they have sharding.

I LOVE IT THAT YOU KEEP SAYING THIS!!!! It really does warm my heart because when I am being rude to someone, sometimes I stop myself and say "Man maybe I am going to rough on this guy maybe he just needs it explained better to him", but then you say something this dumb and it just warms my heart knowing that you are in fact, that stupid.

I really want you to read this and understand this. YOU are the ones that are worried about the short term, WE are the ones worried about the long term. I know this is hard to wrap your head around but let me explain.

You want your vanilla RIGHT NOW and you CAN'T wait 2 more weeks to have anything other than what YOU want. We want server populations to be healthy throughout vanilla and sharding, believe it or not, may help with this.

How? Well go back and watch the Ion video where he talks about sharding. Do you even know why he brought up sharding? It was when he was asked a question about what their plan is for dwindling of populations and how they plan on dealing with potential dead servers. He implies that having bigger servers that allow for 'tourists' to come in they can allow for server caps to reach a healthy limit once everything is in a solid state and the server is mature.

Let me explain THAT to you just so you really get it. Lets say they want 3k people on the server. Well 3k people on release, they could probably handle, but this also means you will need more servers than you would normally so lets just says we have 20 servers. Well... what if... lets say 20% of those players are tourists. Now this would mean 600 players per realm is going to leave, but you all know this isn't what actually happens. This could mean 20-50% of your server could actually just die because of populations and now you have to merge servers, which ruins the experience EVEN MORE.

Well lets says sharding is here to save on some of the server instabilities that comes with increasing caps. Well now we can have 5k players on a realm. So instead of having 20 servers, now we can have 12 server. Well now when those 20% tourists leave.. guess what? Most of the servers are going to be exactly at the population they need to be at!

Now this doesn't mean sharding is good beyond that, but it could help at the start to prolong the servers life. I just find it funny, because you think you are actually looking for the health of the server long term by getting rid of sharding when in reality it will do the exact opposite.

*standing ovation*

I wish I could like this more than once. well said.

This is why Brack says things like 'you think you do, but you don't'.

I don't agree with him when he said that, but people are so sure about what they want but if you let them have their way things basically go to !@#$.

It is why retail is so watered down and just not as immersive - people spoke loudly about what they wanted and Blizzard answered them. People complained all the time about access to gear, progression, the game taking too much time, etc. Now we have a game where your quest rewards almost always have loot, and they frequently roll into epics. What a shift from Vanilla, and not for the better.

Then you have Ratsmats here advocating for something he doesn't even comprehend the full extent of. Dead servers are a big problem, and why we ended up with CRZ in the first place - to even out populations between active and dead servers (which had a nice side effect of reducing costs by more effectively leveraging the servers they do have). Keep speaking so loudly and you guys will have dead servers and server merges in the long term, and it will be entirely your own fault.
Sharding is a population solution that comes at the expense of community, immersion, player-driven events and social interactions.

Those of us who are willing to endure the hardships of login queues, server stability and questing completion should have an option to relive the classic experience as it was.

Blizzard needs to seriously consider a select group of servers that have sharding disabled, permanently.
Don't u entitled H8rs know Blizzard is incapable of lying!?! It would break the god damn laws of physics for them to lie!! It cannot happen, it is impossible!! Nick and that other whatshisname guy or doing God's work calling out these whiny h8rs!
11/09/2018 11:34 AMPosted by Meowitzer
Don't u entitled H8rs know Blizzard is incapable of lying!?! It would break the god damn laws of physics for them to lie!! It cannot happen, it is impossible!! Nick and that other whatshisname guy or doing God's work calling out these whiny h8rs!

I have never said that Blizzard always keeps their word. I have asked for an example of where they have not kept their word on Sharding, and haven't found one.

I have asked, however, why you are so eager to support a company that lies to you and you can't trust to keep their word. I have also asked why they need a promise from Blizzard about sharding if they have zero faith in the promises they make.
11/09/2018 11:34 AMPosted by Torgash
Sharding is a population solution that comes at the expense of community, immersion, player-driven events and social interactions.

It really won't effect of any of those things for the limited time they are going to have it active. You are overacting and you know it.

11/09/2018 11:34 AMPosted by Torgash
Those of us who are willing to endure the hardships of login queues, server stability and questing completion should have an option to relive the classic experience as it was.

Blizzard needs to seriously consider a select group of servers that have sharding disabled, permanently.

*Should* according to you. There is nothing written in the stars that makes this so. That's like, your opinion, man. Your desire does not entitle you to the object of it.
11/09/2018 11:56 AMPosted by Nickamus
11/09/2018 11:34 AMPosted by Meowitzer

I have never said that Blizzard always keeps their word. I have asked for an example of where they have not kept their word on Sharding, and haven't found one.

I have asked, however, why you are so eager to support a company that lies to you and you can't trust to keep their word. I have also asked why they need a promise from Blizzard about sharding if they have zero faith in the promises they make.

What are ya talking about? I'm agreeing with ya, bruh! These h8rs make my head spin! If they can't handle a bit of sharding or loot trading then they're not true classic fans imo. anti-sharding h8rs needs to !@#$ off with their fake news.
11/09/2018 12:01 PMPosted by Meowitzer
11/09/2018 11:56 AMPosted by Nickamus

What are ya talking about? I'm agreeing with ya, bruh! These h8rs make my head spin! If they can't handle a bit of sharding or loot trading then they're not true classic fans imo. anti-sharding h8rs needs to !@#$ off with their fake news.

This is what happens when people on one side of the fence realize their arguments are all invalid. It's quite a shame.
11/09/2018 12:08 PMPosted by Oldallagala

This is what happens when people on one side of the fence realize their arguments are all invalid. It's quite a shame.

I'm trying to call out the h8rs! Who's side are u on, bruh?

What are ya talking about? I'm agreeing with ya, bruh! These h8rs make my head spin!

You aren't.

If they can't handle a bit of sharding or loot trading then they're not true classic fans imo. anti-sharding h8rs needs to !@#$ off with their fake news.

I'm all good with no loot trading if they disable GM requests to transfer items.

'True fans' would want whats best for the game. They would get over themselves and do whats best for the game. Taking their neckbeard and going home doesn't make them a true fan.

Still unacceptable in december. Sharding has absolutely no place in classic. Blizzard needs to have servers powerful enough to handle big community events from day 1, if that means using full server blades instead of a cloud solution than that’s what they need to do. Even if it costs them a little more money

2 Likes

No sharding. Temporary dynamic respawns MAYBE, but no sharding.

2 Likes

Temporary sharding in the starting zones during a limited launch period is still preferable to any other suggestion put forth here. Do it Blizzard!

FTFY.

Also, no sharding.

3 Likes

FTFY. And I agree. Yes sharding at launch.

How did Vanilla ever survive without sharding?

It wasn’t needed than, it isn’t needed now.

2 Likes

Vanilla also didn’t have the number of people playing at launch that Classic will. It wasn’t needed then because of numbers, it is needed now. For a limited period at launch.