And that kids is why sharding is unacceptable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx9cSwgsbKQ&feature=youtu.be
34 Likes
Very immersive
6 Likes
THATS EXACTLY WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT...

They were sharded off in a shard with barely anyone at all. When there were tons of ppl.
3 Likes
11/07/2018 09:47 PMPosted by Raggnnar

They were sharded off in a shard with barely anyone at all. When there were tons of ppl.
Yup. There was obviously some major player-driven event taking place exactly where he was and he didn't get to see any of it.
6 Likes
11/07/2018 10:50 PMPosted by Aranhod
11/07/2018 09:47 PMPosted by Raggnnar

Yup. There was obviously some major player-driven event taking place exactly where he was and he didn't get to see any of it.

This is what I am talking about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It murdered my current wow server! We did this stuff all the freaking time! NOW NOPE! Just no sharding whatsoever, I don't mind launch like said because launch but once that phase is over NO FREAKING SHARDING EVER.

It literally, kid you not, killed massive guilds on my server...
1 Like
How can anyone think this is good for the game?
10 Likes
11/07/2018 10:54 PMPosted by Raggnnar
I don't mind launch
Hell no. Launch is when people are the most hyped up for Classic, and when people who never experienced Vanilla will get their first taste of what it's like. If they shard launch that's just going to prime the community to expect that they should be playing Classic with the exact same "maximum efficiency" mindset that they're used to from retail. Launch is the best time to showcase what kind of shenanigans players can look forward too in Classic, and those who enjoy it will be hooked.

11/07/2018 11:01 PMPosted by Mogar
How can anyone think this is good for the game?

It honestly feels like the devs are set on trying to prove that players don't actually want Vanilla (like they have claimed), and so they're going to sabotage Classic by cutting out probably the most important feature: a persistent, immutable world.
9 Likes
Hell no. Launch is when people are the most hyped up for Classic, and when people who never experienced Vanilla will get their first taste of what it's like. If they shard launch that's just going to prime the community to expect that they should be playing Classic with the exact same "maximum efficiency" mindset that they're used to from retail. Launch is the best time to showcase what kind of shenanigans players can look forward too in Classic, and those who enjoy it will be hooked.

I get your point. I am not one sided either way. If the numbers are there for it I think it'd be okay for launch just not this "oh look only 4 ppl" crap. Like if sharded there still needs to be good numbers. But if there's a better way to avoid the server issues(with that I am fully sure there is) and avoid the competition for things (i.e. the defias traitor... I can only imagine that) then yeah.

That said I do not want it at all whatsofreakingever in general. I just think we need at least something for the issues we will deal with in launch. As to what I am open to hear.
I hate shadring. I do like diamondrings though.
11/07/2018 11:05 PMPosted by Raggnnar
But if there's a better way to avoid the server issues(with that I am fully sure there is) and avoid the competition for things (i.e. the defias traitor... I can only imagine that) then yeah.
We can deal with them exactly the same way we dealt with them in Vanilla:

Server issues? Go do something else and come back when it works.

Competition? If you don't want to fight over it, go find something else to do in game.

These have already been proven to not be game-breaking issues, because Vanilla WoW not only survived them, but thrived to become the single greatest MMO of all time.
6 Likes
Wow. That was unpleasant to watch.
For launch day it might be acceptable, or for a bit, but I feel like dynamic spawns would be a better approach. Everyone being in the same instance but being able to get their spawns.

I'm personally fine with everything taking ages to get credit, but I worry that most won't be and Classic will take a severe hit.
11/07/2018 11:21 PMPosted by Espur
For launch day it might be acceptable, or for a bit, but I feel like dynamic spawns would be a better approach. Everyone being in the same instance but being able to get their spawns.

I'm personally fine with everything taking ages to get credit, but I worry that most won't be and Classic will take a severe hit.

Folks from retail might complain but anyone who has played on a pserver is totally used to it and knows how to adjust and that the herd will thin out by level 35 or so.
11/07/2018 11:25 PMPosted by Brockthorn
11/07/2018 11:21 PMPosted by Espur

Folks from retail might complain but anyone who has played on a pserver is totally used to it and knows how to adjust and that the herd will thin out by level 35 or so.

Lol itll thin out by like 12 because it'll take people hours to get there and most will stop for the day or whatever. After week one at most people will be all over.
I do agree that this is a big problem if sharding is used at any time beyond the first days of launch in the 6 starting zones.

As I mentioned in another thread, there's a variety of places where Blizzard is likely to suddenly decide sharding is needed:
- AQ event in Silithus
- at any time in the primary capital cities (Org and IF)
- in places like Blackrock Mountain when a dozen raid groups show up flagged and an all out brawl starts
- TM/SS, Crossroads, Sentinel Hill, any capital city raid
- any player created event, whether a dueling tournament or a running of the gnomes/bulls/zombies
avoid the competition for things (i.e. the defias traitor... I can only imagine that)

Why would you want to avoid competition? That's one of the points in old MMORPGs that is missing from the modern ones. You're not the center of the universe, you compete for things with other people.
5 Likes
11/07/2018 11:27 PMPosted by MĂ«dicinal
11/07/2018 11:25 PMPosted by Brockthorn

Lol itll thin out by like 12 because it'll take people hours to get there and most will stop for the day or whatever. After week one at most people will be all over.

Not if classic launches on the weekend. I actually skipped some quests in the starting area and just killed wolves, boars and troggs. Got me some 6 slotter bags and a good amount of vendor trash. When I hit level 5 I had 10 silver !
1 Like
11/07/2018 11:10 PMPosted by Aranhod
But if there's a better way to avoid the server issues(with that I am fully sure there is) and avoid the competition for things (i.e. the defias traitor... I can only imagine that) then yeah.
We can deal with them exactly the same way we dealt with them in Vanilla:

Server issues? Go do something else and come back when it works.

Competition? If you don't want to fight over it, go find something else to do in game.

These have already been proven to not be game-breaking issues, because Vanilla WoW not only survived them, but thrived to become the single greatest MMO of all time.

Thrived.... because it moved on.
Could have been no sharding and he'd have seen those people to begin with.

With no sharding, either you choose a low-pop server intentionally and hope others don't have the same idea, or you will be competing for resources such that it will be an endurance contest between you and them and you're hoping that the herd is thinned-out by level 30 or so.

If you were lucky enough to find a low-pop server that stays that way, you'll discover that buying and selling in the AH will be problematic.

I'm just saying that, if anything, your example shows really only the positive side of sharding. He actually found a place that was relatively ideal for leveling.
11/07/2018 11:30 PMPosted by Falnear
avoid the competition for things (i.e. the defias traitor... I can only imagine that)

Why would you want to avoid competition? That's one of the points in old MMORPGs that is missing from the modern ones. You're not the center of the universe, you compete for things with other people.

I get competing, don't get me wrong, but the word is being used in a different stance.

I don't mind general mob competition. But I feel like waiting for hours upon hours to hopefully get a npc that spawns like every 10-15minutes right clicked in time while 1-200 or more ppl wait for said npc is just ridic.