An Eye on Player Behavior and Reporting Improvements

in spirit of solidarity with the players who do not think this new social contract is a good idea, i will be withdrawing myself from the Newcomer Chat as a guide when 9.2.5 launches.

This is actually disgusting.

wow used to be about community

now its about policing “wrong think”

7 Likes

i know right? double-plus good!

1 Like

my favorite line from the post is “this is only the beginning”.

they’re going to automate silencing “wrong think”.

thats where this is going.

2 Likes

:roll_eyes:

Ah yes, the tyranny of making people…/checks notes…not use profanity, not call each other names, not throw around slurs, and not be openly hostile to one another in a community-based MMO with general audiences.

The tyrrany. Can you imagine if there were basic steps taken so that people from a variety of backgrounds and circumstances weren’t actively disparaged and driven off by hostile players? People might actually feel okay spending their money to play such a game.

Sorry that the spaces where you can safely call someone slurs and have people shrug and say that’s just how it has to be are shrinking to no longer include giant, mass-marketed game communities. It’s a rough ol’ world, what can I say?

7 Likes

Why just new players?

Because the Social Contract doesn’t have anything new in it. It has the existing TOS with no modifications, worded differently, and then a set of suggestions that aren’t rules.

If existing players were going to refuse to agree to the TOS, they had that opportunity when they first established their accounts, and a few times afterward depending on how long they’ve been playing.

2 Likes

I think people that talk politics in general chat should have their characters drawn and quartered then that account banned. I will take a few bias slurs any day, not like any of this automated system that already exists anyway will change anything. The only thing I am hopeful for is this new drop down options to reports makes it harder for multiple friends to get someone band if they don’t all select the exact same thing.

It’s good to watch for toxicity. It’s even better to clean out the toxicity from your game. Stop the boosters / sellers and protect the integrity of your game.

The system isn’t automated now, and the changes don’t include automating moderation. The only part that’s automated is that you can have a temporary “squelch” placed on your ability to chat if a lot of reports come in at the same time. After that, actual humans look and see if the reports were for anything that needs action like a temporary ban.

If there wasn’t, the squelch is lifted and no action gets taken against the reportee’s account. If people coordinated to falsely report someone, though, they can get actions against their own accounts.

People don’t get banned now for no reason just because a lot of people reported them. To catch a ban, you need to have actually done something to break the TOS. Even if people tend to think that the thing that they did “Wasn’t that bad” and “Other people say/do worse all the time”.

2 Likes

Yes, and that shouldn’t be automated. As it does get abused regardless if it gets fixed in time. I been banned for some pretty stupid things. And when I appeal it all I get are the pre-prepared statements. Hard to tell if someone took even a minute to look at it or just assumed the temp auto ban is working as intended and sent the auto response. Can you prove otherwise…

She’s a boosted trolll ignore em.

is this the worst we can find on bobby? cauz that’s pretty tame.
asmon pointed to some more juicy stuff in a couple streams already lol

Other than that the blues over in Customer Support have said over and over again that it’s not, and every time someone has posted there claiming that they were autobanned for something inoffensive the blues have helped them remember by pointing out the actual TOS violations that got them a ban?

I have never heard, in all my years of hanging out on the Customer Support forum, of someone having a ban lifted off of them because it turned out that they were auto-banned by mistake. I’ve seen some penalties get lighter on appeal, and I’ve seen a couple of human error mix-ups, but never the lifting of some kind of nonexistent auto-ban when nothing that broke the TOS was done in-game.

1 Like

Well hey, if the blues say so…

While the term “social contract” is probably to draw attention to it, the rules are the same as they were essentially in 2004.

So, if you want to be upset about it you have to go way back to the start… profanity, hateful speech, slurs, etc are all not allowed in WoW. Never have been. Not even masked/mispelled versions.

4 Likes

Boosting is fine unless you don’t want guilds carrying their own members either because of “integrity”.

What does a guild carry and boosting have in common… oh ya, nothing.

1 Like

Or how about “everything except gold changing hands”?

I’m dying to know why you think getting carried by a guild and getting boosted (carried) by a booster (which is often a guild as well) have nothing in common.

:clown_face:

Guild carries are done for a variety of reasons I suppose, but I will stick with the one I feel is most relevant.

If you are building a raid group, PvP or M+ group or groups in guild, giving carries can benefit everyone that participates. Once the carried member or members is done they can help progress. A team thing, to help each other.

Boosting is a transaction, one gets gold, the other gets gear, achievements, rating, whatever it is you are paying for.

Edit: I think this is why boosting is frowned on and many want it removed. It’s a social game, to bypass the social guild part of earning to some degree your way up the progression ladder is sad for one, and unfair is some ways to those that progress naturally.