An Eye on Player Behavior and Reporting Improvements

In your post, that Kultiran is almost as big as the Tauren.

Are Kultirans really that big? Seriously, are they supposed to be the same size as Tauren?

I’m sorry to burst the bubble here. WoW is not known as the toxic community in the gaming industry. (Truth) There is a reason for this. That behavior has never been acceptable. It’s one thing to have an opinion, it’s another to harass people.

I honestly was completely taken-aback when I read about individuals that worked at that company getting death threats. I was even more hurt that I seen a young man in our community commit suicide and then I watched some of his previous videos. With certain individuals literally typing out to kill himself. I’ve seen the odd videos of harassment for streamers too.(Even tho I don’t watch much content creators) I would say more so for Asmongold. I’m not even a streamer and I have been harassed for a very long time. (Just a customer. a literal customer. Yes Blizzard that is your problem) I have been active on forums tho and I am still posting unlike a majority of our playerbase that just… doesn’t anymore for some weird reasons?

Let’s make this clear again guys. Harassment and having an opinion are two separate things. Let’s clarify this again, WoW has never been known and never will be known as the most toxic community. So you get what am I saying here right…?

So yes I am happy they have been trying to take extra precautions ensuring their customers lately that they are trying to combat the awful rise in hatred the past couple of years. (Ya like that hasn’t been suspicious at all… ultimately the company ended up getting bought out…) It’s not cool to be inhumane. It never will be. Hate trains are not cool either guys, grow up. I personally want the ignore feature to work properly. (When players are in a guild.) I am willing to see if they address that issue.

1 Like

Yet, some (not all) will just retort “oh, they’re just words” :roll_eyes:

As an RPer I am very worried about things like this because of the use of automated systems after the firing of most of their GMs.

And it won’t be enforced evenly of course. Some guild leader who is completely toxic out-of-character and just a big jerk IC beyond the bounds of roleplay will continue to enjoy things as usual. But if they choose to pick on you/your character with their guild buddies? Mass report and ban.

That’s not fair.

If this reporting system has a lower threshold and no carve-outs for RPers on RP servers in RP chat channels /say /yell /emote (even /tell and /party) then the RP community is going to suffer devastating chilling effects from this.

I am already aware of people impacted by automated bans/mutes through abusive mass reports. Same thing with people impacted with forced name changes because of abusive mass reports.

And I really doubt the reports are human reviewed and if they are it’s by overworked people with unfair quotas who have about 5 seconds to make each decision and aren’t going to take the time to mess up their metrics (and get a write-up or fired) to carefully spend a couple minutes trying to determine whether the character on an RP server is acting in an in-character basis or not to spare them.

I don’t think this will make a difference, at least not in places like trade chat where people frequently just leave it.

My inner chaos goblin is tempted to make an addon that helps people who care see when others slur for ease of reporting.

Wait. Isn’t there a constitutional right to stumble around mindlessly?

Sure they have. “Every Voice Matters.” Remember that one? Certainly doesn’t hold true anymore. And no they have NOT had the same rules for the past 17 years. There has been a slow creep towards clamping down on freedom of expression, and towards them acting as corporate “nannies”. This has happened in lock-step with the advancement of the current political paradigm.

One thing about paradigm shifts, the faster and more abrupt the initial swing to one extreme, the faster things will rebound in the other direction.

So I’ll just leave it there. I don’t need to overstate my position. All I need to do is wait for it. It’ll happen. History is a cruel teacher to those who refuse to listen.

3 Likes

More like Big Brother is Watching You from 1984

Is gatekeeping through combat addons considered a toxic behavior?

Not yet. It is in ff 14.

this new reporting system is not going to solve much then

back in the day a lot of thier call center Gms were texan.

If people are still getting down and dirty in goldshire then this isn’t going to stop it either.

They still are. The main CS support for Americas is done out of the Austin, TX office.

1 Like

Reminder to Blizzard that the squelching system is ripe for abuse and negatively impacts players who do no wrong. Report abusers and the toxic players behind false reporting should never have been given the power to kill the ability for other players to use group finder, mailbox, etc.:

The false flagging that runs rampant on the forums should be a clue to you.

What exactly do you mean when youre talking about the filter? Like…what are you saying we can and can’t say because I’m lost here is it against ToS to use curse words

Lmao Typical, you’re famous for mass reporting on all your alts (Humanbeak,tuulunn)

Yes it is. It is also against the rules to use masked profanity which is using a different spelling or symbols to say something.

There is a profanity filter in game so some people think that gives them permission to break the rules. It does not, hence why I linked the Blue post reminding folks of that. That is for parents to protect kids from people who can’t follow the rules they agreed to.

WoW has had a no profanity rule on the forums and in game since 2004. However, Blizz only acts on it if it is reported and for mild stuff most people don’t report.

3 Likes

You’re my alt.

2 Likes

So, Gameplay Sabotage. Forgive me for not reading 800 posts and an article here, but-- If I’m out and about haphazardly killing things as I am want to do and some lowbie/dood on a quest needs x number of things and I murder a few, is this gameplay sabotage?

2 Likes