AMD Radeon 7000 Series Constant Crashing

The long startup issue is a seperate issue than the driver / timeout crashes that are occuring just while using DX 12 not on startup.

This is a different problem than the blue post. The game launches fine.

The game CRASHES with a black screen on AMD 7000 GPUs.

Still happening on 7900 XTX.

But only crashes with DX 12.

1 Like

AMD FSR has been broken since November 2023 for me.
7900XT latest drivers. Win11 23H2

1 Like

I found a specific place that crashes my AMD GPU driver when set to DirectX 12: Tideskorn Harbor in Stormheim. I flew over it and got stuck crashing until changing to DirectX 11. The dmesg error message is ā€œ[drm:amdgpu_job_timedout [amdgpu]] ERROR ring gfx_0.0.0 timeout, but soft recoveredā€.

So, this was a lie. Long initial startup on my 7900 XT.

I flew all around here for several minutes, and I was unable to trigger any crashes. 24.2.1 driver on my 7900 XT.

Completed a (+15) Waycrest Manor with no crashes, and then manually went to Throne of the Tides through the Vashjā€™ir portal and cleared it on heroic. Previously, a TotT key with the mainstream WHQL driver (the one right before the AFMF full release) was constantly crashing me in a Throne key. Somehow timed it with me being offline for 80% of it, and trying to carry someone.

Iā€™ve flown around the Emerald Dream, killed the world boss, and used an Inky Black Potion.
Edit: Have since cleared multiple Dawn-Fall / ADZ keys, and mythic Fyrakk progression. Still stable.

Windows 10 LTSC 2021
ASrock Steel Legend X670E
7900 XT (Sapphire Pulse), and formerly 6700 XT (also Sapphire Pulse)
7800X3D
Corsair Vengeace, 6000 Mhz, CL30 (32 gigs)
Samsung EVO 990 Pro x2 (OS and Games separate) (Samsung Magician was used to update firmware)

Everything is running at stock settings with default boost (no Undervolt or Overclock).
Iā€™ve used O&OSU, disabled MPO, and a bunch of other bloaty services I donā€™t use.

Hopefully, this is a good omen that I can continue with this card without issues.

This hangup still exists today on launch

1 Like

Brackenhide Hollow on mine, Iā€™d get even near that place and itā€™d start crashing.

1 Like

Same AMD XTX issue. Single and duo open world play is mostly stable for me. Dungeons crash maybe once an evening.

Discovered today that fighting Undead Ravagers in Desolace reliably triggers the crash.

Strong chance thatā€™s a bad shader crashing the driver. Try clearing the shader cache in the Adrenalin settings. Youā€™ll have to dig through the menus to find it, I canā€™t remember exactly where they moved it to when they shuffled the tabs around a while back. It might not fix the issue, but itā€™s worth trying first. If it continues to happen after clearing it, then itā€™s probably on the GPU driver end of things since they handle compiling the shaders.

1 Like

Testing new drivers. The game still stalled when switching to dx 12, but it was a 5-10 second wait. I am testing on manifested timeways and havent crashed yet, 20 min test so far. need more to test

testing, crashed after 30 min.

One thing that has worked to fix the crashing for me is to turn raytracing on. Since turning it on a few weeks ago, I have not had a single driver crash. The obvious downside of this is performance can and does take a massive dive in many areas, but itā€™s usually fine in most dungeons.

Makes me wonder if the driver crash is possibly power related, similar to how the 6000-series had some massive transient power spikes when it would switch from low usage to high usage very fast. Or something that is just being triggered by similar conditions.

1 Like

I kinda speculated this, but Iā€™m unable to replicate the problem outside of a specific driver in a niche situation on my 6700 XT. After switching back to the driver I was using, everything was fine. Iā€™ve since upgraded to a 7900 XT, and still donā€™t have any issues.

If it was a power thing, you could increase your minimum clocks or/and increase your power limit. However, I ran both cards at stock with no issues (I did run my 6700 XT on an undervolt for a while, but those never seem to play nice with WoW, specifically). I tab in and out a lot, and WoWā€™s FPS minimum is 20, and max is manually set to 240.

go into your windows settings and disable the xbox and or windows game bar this cured the issues i was having with constant crashes

Looks like after 440+ days game still has issues with Radeon gpuā€™s with both AMD and Blizzard ignoring the issue, even if you spam bug report tool for about an hour every 1 minute with same bug report it keeps being ignored, and if you bug report for another game like Dying light 2 they get so confused they think the bug only happens with RT and not without, making a known issue that does not match the actual bug while still somehow managing to fix 90% of the bugs.

This may sound controversial but i would start sending a bug report every day least about any wow issues, ramp up reports if they ignore it even with next driver release, no point spamming on the forums here looks like Blizzard been already aware for a couple of months, they probably have more luck reaching out to AMD to figure out what the issue is.

Most defiantly bad shaders causing issues, still want compensation from Blizzard as my sub already expired, once they fix all the issues, if not im gonna boycot Blizzard for life.

6900 XT can spike to like 1000w and a good 1000w psu can handle transients way above their rating even, and if been thru 2 power suplies 1300w and 1200w both tier A rating, altho i wonā€™t argue if this could be issue for others, i am 100% certain this is a game / driver issue.

AMD has a way to optimize the graphics pipeline down in their driver even block certain broken shaders and use a more optimized shader something that Blizard should fix usually not AMD but AMD can defiantly fix, and i know from Experience NVIDIA does this as well but they have to do this for every expansion, which is why at launch NVIDIA users had a lot of shader issues, which is defiantly Blizzard fault.
Its kind of hard to fix an issue when you keep firing staff that handles these fixes let alone handles feedback right before launch of an expansion.

This no longer can be disabled since recent updates, it also handles important things like game mode and forcing the game to utilize the right cpu threads for optimal performance especially for x3D chips but also other Ryzen cpuā€™s so defiantly do not recommend, using some tweak to uninstall game bar but that is defiantly possible, you can ask bing ai chat how to uninstall game bar thru winget if you want to try that still.

Agree with pawgwalker on this defiantly shader issue, if had no luck my self tho triggering any crash yet just started testing, if always just had freezes in world of warcraft rather then driver timeouts, now i run a 7900 XTX these days if not played in months cos if completly given up on game cos of ignorance from devs including AMD on the issues.

I donā€™t recommend that and there isnā€™t a way to disable it without doing some hacky stuff in powershell. If it was what was causing your problems, then you were probably having an overlay issue(probably hardware accelerated). There hasnā€™t been a way to safely remove it from Windows since like Windows 10 and probably some old 21h1 build(many years old) of it. Itā€™s an integral part of Windows and has been for a long time now.

What version/build of Windows are you on? Press start+R->Type winver->Press enter->Line with version.

1 Like

Still crashing in DX 12, crashed at Manifested timeways (DOTI)

2 Likes

Im willing to bet that AMD never test longer then 1 hour for issues and then assumes its fine, in my case i can play couple of days with no issues maybe 1 or 2 maybe even 3 or even 7 days atleast that was case in past then suddenly start crashing non stop couple of times a day or least once a day.

If AMD or devs are not willing to investigate issue then its over soon enough, who is willing to pay for a subscription for broken game anyway, AMD has tools for devs to optimize their games for AMD figure out source of crashes which can be helpful in optimization to make game more stable.

If not seen this for 440+ days how long it took for AMD to fix the long launch issue that took about 10 minutes or so ? 4 months ?

Anyway i started testing wow again using my last bit of wow gold on a token 8 hours no crashes yet, this does not mean i do not have issues, it means stability is random and may chance over time.

If had issues since 22.5.2 or so on 6900 XT and upgraded to 7900 XTX around 23.2.1 and my issues never went away, after 2 more freezes i just gave up playing while my 1 year sub was expiring in Januari, thanks for the the ignorance btw, keep on reporting problems, and keep on bug report to AMD as well maybe its time to gradually increase our anger in our bug reports maybe things will change.

Btw i am on 24.3.1 latest that fixed shader caching issue for accented user names, i do not have an accented user name but there probably more causes for caching to fail like your region and language settings in Windows giving your alphabet weird characters that make caching act weird perhaps who knows, if there is a camp of users with issues and a camp with issues there is always a reason for it.
Its almost never user error or hardware issue.

Please do not give up while i probably give up in a month cos i am unwilling to keep paying or unwilling to re sub without proper compensation and a fix.

Good luck devs, if helped Sons of the forest community dev in past with driver timeout issue in past it was a water shader that caused the issue we found out thru debugging and disabling the water in that particular area, i suggest devs contact Lucias in this topic since if he can reliably crash he can reliably least find crashing cause in Desolace with the Undead Ravagers, it could be as simple as changing the mobs to something else and testing it crashing stops just saying.

Maybe ask Microsoft to hire more QA that focus on these type of issues as well since last CEO kept firing QA team probably, i am probably wrong but i am very angry believe me.

1 Like

Has anyone tried manually setting their PCIE in the bios?
Iā€™m running a 7950x3d and a 7900xtx on a ROG CROSSHAIR X670E HERO. I went into my bios and changed two settings from Auto.

Under ā€œAdvanced\Onboard Devices Configurationā€
PCIEX16_1 Bandwidth Bifurcation: Set it to ā€œx16ā€ (this disables my second PCIe slot)

Under ā€œAdvanced\Onboard Devices Configuration\PCIE Link Speedā€
PCIEx16_1 Link Mode: Set it to ā€œGen 4ā€ to match my card

Havenā€™t crashed in a while so weā€™ll see. Just thought maybe there is a conflict between the bios and the card when set to auto.

1 Like

Bifurcation is for when got raid card that needs to be split to 4x / 4x / 4x / 4x for a raid card so 4 nvme on 1 raid card each has x4 speeds and they all become detectable.

Would just leave everything on auto, as for setting it to gen4 when its gen4 may speed up post times and in odd case resolve some sleep or powersaving issues as in some cases it can go down to gen1 for power saving but i am not sure, would not mess to much with bios or experiment, you end up just introducing new problems to the mix, stability is random as well its gonna be least couple of days maybe weeks until we know for sure if the crashes are fixed, especially dx12 related crashes.

I cant motivate my self to play as much so me saying if not crashed yet says nothing if all i do is play for 2 hours, most my issues have happened when playing 10 hours a day and leveling many alts to max level once a day.

on EU forums users report crashes again, it probably needs to reach certain shader cache age, i will eventually check in desolace with undead ravagers and see if i can reproduce Lucias crash to hopefully figure out if everyone can potentially crash on the same location cos that says a lot about this issue and should make it easier to find out whats going on.

for devs to reproduce the issue they have to mark all the check boxes and understand every step before being able to reproduce cos seems last time i checked had no crashes, probably cos the cache is not old enough perhaps it corrupts over time due a bug in wow or with the AMD drivers

To name example how this happens it could be you go desolace where undead ravagers are first time you have no issues, but as shader cache gets older and goā€™s thru bunch write cycles it could end up corrupt and eventually when it loads in or after it ran couple of times it leads to crashes, lucius mentioned it especially happens when fighting undead ravagers