AMD Radeon 7000 Series Constant Crashing

Interesting find, but would be hard to filter out the results from statistical background noise since sometimes just restarting a PC was all you needed to fix some broken driver state that would have led into a crash. Though it definitely wouldn’t be the first time BIOS bugs have caused problems for stability. Maybe by “soft-disabling” the second slot, Windows or AMD drivers and schedulers can skip some branch of code that’s causing the bug.

From my understand of what I’ve seen so far, this really seems like a shader compilation/cache bug though because there are too many specific instances to reproduce the crashes with. Like what he said:

When you have specific things like this that can reliably trigger a crash, across a variety of hardware(sharing the GPUs in common though), it’s probably driver related. AMD drivers have pretty much always been sub-par and they’ve pretty much always been super slow at fixing things. I mean I know they’re only like 15% of the gaming GPU market and all, but they’d secure more of the market if they’d create more stable drivers. I gave them a shot for about a year with a 6600 in one PC and a 7900xt in another. Regretted them both :confused:

1 Like

AMD proces is slow to a point you feel like why you even bothering might as well buy NVIDIA gpu, in this game tho you just end up with the other end of the problems which leading into my frustation even more, the issues NVIDIA is having as even worse atleast to a point they manage to fix it 1 year after expansion release, it will all come back all of it next expansion and you be waiting again 6+ years of ongoing re occuring issues.

AMD on otherhand i suspect they strugle with envorimental effects and shaders.
Im being really annoying right now on AMD Bug Report tool, and i also encourage others to just nag once more users start having more issues again.

I wish AMD would just list least 3 issues with world of warcraft, so i know i can give up on wow for good and play something that has no known issues.

I personally blame devs more then AMD but both are not helping each other so the problem stays around for longer then it should be.

With lords of the fallen AMD and devs cooperate and assist each other

with World of warcraft nothing happens or everything is one sided, or atleast we hear nothing back just silence.

edit: i wanna note one thing tho please anyone having these issues, disable Windows Driver Updates, Windows Update is gauranteed to replace gpu drivers at some point even while you are gaming, this most annoying thing ever and should not even happen when game mode is working properly.

Ever since the 24.3.1 update, it seem like I hasn’t had any crashes or timeouts. But I’ll keep y’all updated and see if it happens again. The graphic setting I am using now is HYPR-RX Eco and so far, it seem to be working well. I’m still wary about it though.

1 Like

Fun reminder that the only “fix” is using DX11 and making sure all system wide accounts of “Hardware Acceleration” (browser/discord) are disabled.

Doing anything else in an attempt to get DX12 to not crash is a colossal waste of time.

Turn on DX11 and move on with your life if your not already trying to sell your AMD card.

1 Like

never worked for me and if been having issues for 482+ days and i am now on 7900 XTX the frequency of crashes have gone down tho since upgrade but still happening, i also know from experience switching to linux always worked for me but i dont want to play on linux and with worse performance linux uses dxvk which can be used on Windows as well just do not use the async one especially not online games.
Anyway what may not work for me may work for some one else.

If seen users claim it fixed before then couple of days later report back they still have the issue cos of the randomness of this issue, not to jinx your chances hopefully it is fixed.

I’ve had one crash with the latest drivers on my 7900xtx. Definitely an improvement.

Don’t forget to send that bug report to AMD via their bug report tool, appearntly call of duty devs are working with AMD since recently to adress stability and probably other issues as well as their some visual glitches since MW 2019

Hopefully Blizzard decides to work together with AMD which saves a lot of time, not just for this expansion but next expansion as well, as issues always arise around pre patch for next expansion just like it did last time.

It should not take 482+ days to address this.

While there may be 5 to 7 million WoW players right now, according to recent leaked presentation slides that were going around, only ~15% of people use AMD GPUs. So that puts WoW at around a million AMD users. Probably significantly less because that 15% is counting integrated GPUs. According to a lot of stats out there, there are something like 1.5 to 1.8 billion PC gamers out there (though what constitutes gaming, not sure). So in theory, that means there are something like 250 million AMD PC gamers, which would put WoW at around <0.5% of their userbase. Oh and also, not everyone has these problems and of that 15% of the gaming market using AMD GPUs, probably only 5-10% of them are 7000 cards(you can tally up the numbers on steam hardware survey, I didn’t bother), so realistically, that 0.5% is probably more like 0.05-0.1%.

I know WoW may seem super high priority to you, but when you look at this from AMD’s standpoint, it’s probably not worth their time or money to fix it in a timely fashion. Yeah, it sucks, but that’s just how it goes.

Meanwhile, over at the Nvidia camp, Halo Wars still has some graphical bug that’s been there for like years now lol… I think they actually recently took it off the known issues list, even though they never fixed it. I want to some one of the batman games was up there for years as well.

1 Like

Im not spending a single cent on wow until compensated properly after spending upwards 200E on world of warcraft and nothing but issues for 482+ days and spending most months not playing at all due to predictable crashes that Blizzard / AMD cant seem to work out, the crashes started since pre patch right before expansion.

If been to naive to think they will fix this least within 3 months instead its still ongoing for 482+ days

Just tip for anyone with issues, well up to them atleast just unsub and do not resub until its fixed, if this made you quit wow for months as well while sub kept ticking, you have any right to ask for compensation as well.

Not gonna play wow and ruin mythic+ dungeon groups or raids for fellow players as i predictable crash daily or more then once a day, im sure their some of you feeling the same.

1 Like

Selling my 7900xtx and buying a 4080 super fixed my problems.

3 Likes

So my issue is the same as others have stated, with Discord crashing, black screen for 15 secs, then wow crash. I just started playing wow again, all other games on my 7900xtx have been rock solid.

One thing I noticed with wow is my fan speed was staying around 700-800 rpm and the hotspot temps on my card were hitting 90C. The Adrenalin software wouldn’t let me adjust the fan curve at all. I uninstalled Adrenalin, reinstalled with the latest drivers.

Now the fan curve setting works and my temps are way lower. I disabled Zero RPM and set the min fan speed to 1500. You can set a custom fan profile for any game. Also I noticed the stutter in game was gone. Might be something to check if you haven’t been monitoring your fan speeds. My fan speeds were fine in other games so I didn’t bother checking them when I ran wow. Just hoping wow didn’t damage my card. Haven’t had a crash for 4 days now, before it was every 30 min.

1 Like

The 7900 XTX shouldn’t reach critical until the 110ºC range, so it should be fine. It might’ve been thermal throttling, though, as 90ºC is still very spicy, even under load.

1 Like

once pre expansion patch releases you be enjoying visual bugs and flickering shadows all over, just switch to dx11 when that happens or be prepared to clear shader cache before launching the game cos that fixes the flickering shadows issue, it would probably been better to just cancel your sub cos game has issues with NVIDIA as well, they may be gone at the moment but will come back trust me it always will.

Flickering shadows have been around since BFA and has returned every pre expansion patch so far including dragonflight which had even worse issues you can easily google.

If users believe discord is causing issues they been pushing ads and reddit been suggesting alternative apps that can run as discord client which may adress some issues, anyway its probably all just placebo.
I run watercooled gpu my self gone thru 2 AMD gpu’s with same issues so fan control is kind of non issue, that still sounds really bad as if wow anti cheat is blocking Radeon Software from working which in turn breaks fan control perhaps something devs should look into, remember AMD has got users vac banned before due anti-lag+ so its always posibility that warden is causing AMD drivers to break as result, anyway dont consider my post fact only Blizzard can confirm what is really happening or AMD but so far it looks like least one side has refused to do so.

My liquid devil 7900 XTX before repaste hit these temps at those temps pumpout is strong posibility but it should never affect stability unless you hitting around 110c even then its probably not causing stability issues unless card is faulty.
im skilled enough my self to repaste but ended up using PTM7950 which fixed the issue, for most its probably easier to RMA if card is hitting towards 110c hotspot which defiantly not normal but still within spec but not something you should hit.

I was having this issue. What fixed it for me was going into AMD adreniline software and removing WoW from the games list. I read that the software will try to optimize/boost efficiencies and I have not had a problem since. Im on a taichi 7900xtx

Are you sure this fixed it, most users come back reporting they still have problems, last thing we need is placebo fixes, altho i will tell you right now what you remove gets added back next boot or on refresh do keep that in mind, so if you gonna try this check before launch if its in list and if it is then remove it, but it probably comes back as soon you start the game, it will however reset user configuration settings for that game.

I just bought an amd 7900 gre, used to upgrade my old geforce 1660 ti, no issues at all, not even did a clean install, running like a champ. The model i got is the gigabyte model. No regrets on my new card at all.

Probably a placebo but try set resample quality to bicubic and keep renderscale at 100% see if this eliminates the crashes bad implementation of FSR can lead to crashes as well.
I am still testing at times my word that i have not crashed does mean its fixed, cos the nature of this issue is first couple of days after shader cache is clear or new driver is installed that invalidates shader cache i stop crashing for those days and after its of age i start crashing, this is my experience not everyone probably, but if seen reports popin after couple of days not instant, so i might be onto something, anyway just pretend i am crazy person.

Still happening on DX12

2 Likes

Why is blizzard completely ignoring this thread? It’s an obvious issue. I started having memory cant be read errors and can’t get any help anywhere. I’ve never had these problems.

2 Likes

Their are tools from AMD that help developers investigate issues, while at it the game has also had many issues with NVIDIA many of these issues keep coming back and have existed for 6+ years now.
So perhaps the problem is the game rather then AMD/NVIDIA

I would show a video about the AMD vs NVIDIA issues in wow but forum wont let me link here, i cannot link AMD tools either i did link them in the EU thread over at EU forum about crashes, also crashes not exclusively happening to just 7000 series past 482+ days their have been many issues for 6000 series and 5000 series gpu owners as well, they all reported the same problems that been ignored even today.

May wanna look into it.

edit:

tools
https://gpuopen.com/tools/
https://gpuopen.com/radeon-gpu-detective/
meme their more memes in my YouTube shorts about AMD driver issues.
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/q-28yoFmG4Y?feature=share