AMD Radeon 7000 Series Constant Crashing

7900XT here, with constant crashing, all drivers fully updated, game reinstalled, etc.

Two days ago, I reset game features, switched to DX11, turned off all features in the AMD game config and turned off Vsync. I don’t know which of those things fixed the crashing problem, but the game hasn’t crashed since. As in all things, YMMV.

I had this issue myself for a bit. I reseated my GPU and didn’t have any issues afterwards.

I never had a positive experience with AMD gpus, they always f up in some game and they are abhorently slow to fix it.
There is also a high probability most people here be suffering from
faulty hardware.

Blizzard can aid AMD but at the end of the day its the hardware producer responsability to make the video card works for games not the other way around, thats why they always hard code drivers for new games launching and sometimes f things up while doing it.

AMD as you noticied also takes a long time to do anything about windows games having issues.

1 Like

ddu your drivers and try the windows default driver on windows update. it seems to be working for me. 7900xtx dx12, 5800x3d

I’ve had this issue happen on a 7900 XTX and 7600 AMD cards in multiple different systems and I finally found the fix. Turn off Hardware-accelerated GPU Scheduling in Windows.

Search for Display Settings, then go to Graphics. Under Default Settings, click Change default graphics settings. Set the slider to off for Hardware-accelerated GPU Scheduling.

DDU , driver updates, clean OS install, different computers, etc, nothing worked. I did notice that running Wow in Linux didn’t have the issue either. It wasn’t until I was resizing some videos and had a driver crash, I read a suggestion about turning off hardware GPU scheduling. When I did, I got a lot more activity out of my GPU when resizing my videos whereas before I had virtually none and I have had 0 driver crashes since turning off Hardware accelerated GPU scheduling.

1 Like

Interesting suggestion! Thanks for adding this. :green_heart:

1 Like

Update. Almost a week now and not a single driver timeout or crash. It ended up being the drivers. Im using Windows update drivers. 31.0.14000.58004 driver version.

1 Like

Those are two year old drivers, by the way. They might cause other compatibility issues now, due to so many changes with Windows over the years, so keep an eye out. Windows drivers tend to only care about being stable and don’t care about things like your gaming performance or the quality of your gaming experience.

There will probably be new drivers soon and hopefully they fix the issues for people playing WoW on AMD GPUs.

yea i got that. but i needed to something to work with wow for now. its was crashing for months. no one from blizz or amd will say anything about it excpet to install latest drivers.

Have you tried turning off Hardware-accelerated GPU Scheduling? I have the top end 7900 XTX and the low end 7600 of the 7000 series and that was the only thing that fixed the driver crash for me. Completely stable afterwards and have done 3 or 4 driver updates since turning it off and this was living with it for over 4 months.

i tried everything. gpu scheduleing, turning off discord and other background apps. reinstalling windows. used linux for a bit, then decided to the windows driver.

When you turned it off, did you completely reboot the PC? It’s a setting that requires it. It’s the most recent “big” change that AMD made to their drivers a while back and is likely one of the big factors affecting the driver stability across the gaming ecosphere. They flipped HAGS on for the 7xxx series with the December drivers.

HAGS was introduced recently to the amd drivers, these dx 12 crashes have been happening for many months before hags was even out.

3 Likes

I was about to say this. HAGS came very recently, but if it’s somehow fixing the issue that’s great.

There’s a new 24.2.1 driver, though, it’s unlikely to have any changes related to WoW. However… There’s fixes specifically for driver timeouts in other games. Perhaps it’s for an underlying function shared with WoW. [See below.]

Maybe I’m just huffing some Hopium™ on behalf of my fellow AMD users suffering from this problem that I never have.

Edit: I skimmed the notes and miss that World of Warcraft was explicitly mentioned for its long initial load time.

• World of Warcraft may experience extended initial loading times with DirectX 12 API on some AMD Graphics Products, such as the Radeon™ RX 6800.*

So, evidently, AMD is aware of this issue, at least.

1 Like

they are aware it takes long to open

Anyone here tested dx 12 with the 24.2.1 drivers to see if the issue is still occuring?

Mixed reports from the other thread. I have a 7900 XT arriving on Monday and plan on testing with the latest driver, as well as the one I’ve had running stable with my 6700 XT.

Edit: Poking through the other, much older threads stuck on the same problem with Driver Timeouts and GPU crashes, it’s roused my suspicion of the singular time I triggered this problem: My undervolt crashes.

I’m curious if a power or clocking spike is triggering this, as stock settings have zero issues, but under heavy loads I’ve caused undervolt/underclock setups to break and cause the driver to implode. Outside of that niche situation, the only driver that was causing this was the brief moment I attempted to use the mainstream non-AFMF enabled driver, in which that repeatedly crashed inside Throne of the Tides in various spots for me.

As a result, I continue to use the AFMF preview driver, since it’s completely stable for me (after the long initial startup for building the shader cache). I will attempt to use the latest driver first, and then revert to preview driver should it fail. If that fails, I’ll probably ride out the rest of tier with my 6700 XT before deciding what to do in the absence of more fixes from AMD. Clearly, something changed on their 7000-series architecture for a lot of people, or something under the hood of WoW coincided with it (specifically in 10.2).

2 Likes

My 4080 Super fixed my 7900xtx not working. Took a few hundred dollar loss on the trade but I’m just glad I’m not randomly crashing out anymore. I really hope the devs and AMD come together to get this fixed for you guys cause it is insane.

1 Like

I have a 7900XT using 24.2.1 and dx 12. After clearing shader cache and waiting for the LONG startup, I haven’t had a crash yet.

I did see something from AMD finally in the release notes for the driver that mentioned WOW, but oddly they references the 6800 series.

The other side note is this time I did not tune the fan curve. I prefer a more aggressive curve (IOW: cooler temps) and don’t care about noise. I don’t know if there was a voltage issue as well.

1 Like

The fix for WoW is supposed to be the long startup, but I suppose manually clearing the shader cache might still trigger a long rebuild (I’m not using the latest driver, yet, but my Pulse 7900 XT arrived. Probably Sunday night before I can start testing it, though).