AMD Radeon 7000 Series Constant Crashing

24.5.1 is out and claims in the release notes that it has fixed the crashing in WoW. Time to test. Will report back.

1 Like

They changed the release notes to mention it as fixed issues or improvements so if its really fixed we will find out probably in the next 2 weeks.

Anyway for me it looks like they just skipped known issues and just listed it as improved or fixed right away, some users already reported crashes in other forums as well, highly recommend to keep bug reporting crashes include location of crash and also the number of times you crashes in the location, because if you crashed many times at same location that is very relevant.

If having trouble reproducing driver time outs try have imgur open on unmuted section in Firefox with hardware acceleration on, seems to do the trick for other games i often get driver timeouts in.

1 Like

Thank you all for your awareness and reports over that last ~year.

Looks like it’s been fixed according to the latest 24.5.1 notes on AMDs website. Time will tell

1 Like

*fixed for the newer cards, older AMD with this issue still experience it, unless they include them in the upgrade.

Edit—ok my issue may not be related, i found other possible reasons for mine.

But definitely leaning towards Nvidia now.

1 Like

So it seems AMD released a new driver 2-3 days ago. They finally acknowledge in the new drivers notes “Fixed issue where driver timeouts would occur with World of Warcraft”.
The sad news is, despite this fix, people are saying the issue is still occurring.

1 Like

If it’s still happening and isn’t related to the Intel i9 issue, users should try clearing the shader cache in the Adrenalin settings and try again. It’s possible that the older version’s shaders are still cached and are causing the same crash due to not being recalculated with the new drivers that may have fixed the problem (though 99% of the time, new drivers will force shaders to be recompiled).

On the AMD support forums, I saw someone mention they have two identical PCs and only one of them crashes, but the other doesn’t. This leads me to believe that it could be some kind of shader caching issue. The best bet would be to do a DDU(in safemode) uninstall of the drivers and then reinstall the drivers to make 100% sure it’s some some kind of issues with vestiges of old drivers and settings.

2 Likes

Pretty obvious the shaders are broken in World of Warcraft when clearing it used to fix flickering shadow issue that has been fixed and re appearing with pre patch for upcomming expansions, first during shadow lands then during Dragonflight, previously experienced even during BFA at times as former NVIDIA user.

Only thing i blame AMD for is ignorance, the thing i blame Blizzard for is also ignorance, how can they ignore these issues for such a long time is it not about time they start talking about these issues, like what is going on ? and what can we do ?

I spend 200 euros on a game i ended up not playing for most part, i feel ripped off and scammed suffering these issues even with the 6900 XT and other users have experienced issues even with rdna1, but nope AMD has been ignoring it for a long time, Blizzard is still ignoring it and it looks like it likely won’t be fully fixed and will break again by the next pre patch for the next upcomming expansion the war within, so please Blizzard do me a favour refund me compensate me and never put me thru this crap again.

Yes i am mad really really mad, and ignorance will only fuel this anger stop ignoring these issues, even if AMD fixes it i am still gonna be mad because i wasted 16+ months on these issues and even longer on past issues, how dare you…

Blizzard’s shader code was likely just fine and I’m pretty sure they followed the API correctly. They weren’t exactly reinventing the wheel of runtime shaders… The drivers are what take that high level code(HLSL) and then compile them for the appropriate hardware. That’s where things were breaking and Blizzard has zero control of that blackbox.

You have to realize that a GPU is essentially a mini-PC that has almost all the same components as the rest of your PC. Your PC doesn’t actually “control” the GPU in the way you think, it interfaces with it through the drivers(and some BIOS level interfaces) and requests the GPU do things or supply information. They are equally as complex as the rest of your system and are also vulernable to problems and exploits, same as any system. On top of all of that, AMD/Nvidia/Intel/Microsoft have to play round-the-clock whack a mole for security exploits. So sometimes it takes time for them to rectify issues in a manner that doesn’t then open things wide open for exploits. Sometimes they have to pick the lesser of two evils, like for instance, maybe there’s some driver bug that affects 0.5% of the userbase for X game, but to correct it quickly, it might expose 35% of the overall userbase to a potential 0-day exploit. Which do you think they are going to go with?

2 Likes

24.5.1 drivers seem to have fixed the issue for me finally. I’ve done multiple dungeons and raids without an issue over the last few days. I would have had many driver timeouts by now using DX12 on the older drivers.

I have an RX 7600

1 Like

I am still crashing apparently twice now, but I am glad it seems to be working over all. had second crash today just now. but its better then locking up computer like it was.

1 Like

I seriously doubt that.

And their has been plenty of proof of Blizzard failure to address this, even at launch of pre patch for dragonflight they had to step in and correct things, but it only broke things further, Blizzard them self know this, they just did not know how to properly fix it.

Windows Driver Updates is very famous for replacing GPU drivers make sure Windows Driver Updates is disabled and also run DDU from safe mode between driver installs, Radeon drivers somehow easily corrupt so its better to use DDU for each update.
to keep user settings just export snap settings and import them again upon installing the new driver when using DDU in safe mode.

Well you’re free to think whatever you want, but that doesn’t actually make it true.

Are you talking about the shader stutter issue related to Windows MPO, security apps and settings and people that set their WoW client to cacheless shaders(the fixed the cvar bug within a week)? There were a lot of transitionary issues going on with Microsoft and Nvidia/AMD around then. Microsoft ended up hammering out some of the kinks eventually (think it was some kind of issue with perfmon stuff or counters). I think there was also some issue with the security counter stuff as well, the name “counter control” comes to mind and I think it was made by the people who make throttlestop. Nvidia had some kind of security issue with performance counters as well that they corrected pretty quickly as well.

Anyways, I debunked a ton of claims people made about it as well, proving the game worked just fine with tons of video examples. If their code was wrong, it would affect all users sharing some configuration of hardware, Windows and drivers, not just some.

That’s actually a really easy way to carry over corrupt settings sometimes… And no, it’s not that the Radeon drivers courrupt really easily. It’s that if Windows detects certain types of repeated crashing behaviours, it will sometimes try to rectify the situation by rolling back to their verfied version of the drivers(usually hella old). You never roll back GPU drivers, you always uninstall/reinstall them, since there are a lot of software and registry related components to them, and that’s how they typically end up corrupted. I’ve had it happen before and it’s annoying.

At any rate, this AMD driver related crashing issue is fixed. So again, if you’re still having issues, check into seeing if you’re having the BIOS related i9 crashing problems that affect the 13th and 14th gen. And yes, even Intel officially acknowledges it’s a problem related to how motherboard manufacturers configure default profiles for the CPUs.

1 Like

Your just trolling at this point, NVIDIA users have reported problems with shader cache with pre patch for Dragonflight some issues where fixed by clearing shader cache, Blizzard abselutly has no idea how to do shader cache or Directx12 at all, on top of that the developers that where working on it got fired or left leaving Dragonflight in a broken state for 16+ months

NVIDIA users experienced stuttering issues followed by corrupt shaders and visual bugs like corrupt textures and flickering shadows which was fixed by clearing cache or using dx11

bad shaders can also totally crash GPU drivers, i have seen this with Sons of the forest.

I think your confusing corrupt settings with user error, something avg user understands.

Ahh now I remember, I’m pretty sure you were one of the trolls that I had to block or ignore back then because you insisted on constantly arguing endlessly. I recognize the name, it’s just spelled differently now.

1 Like

I have done this. fresh install windows install with latest radeon drivers. crashes, crashed immediately after installed radeon. then played game. I am crashing more on the drivers that were supposed to fix it. It is literally only wow. brand new cpu and ram for another issue.

1 Like

The release notes mention improvements so we do not know in this case if its fixed or just improvements because it does not mention this, so this implies they aren’t expecting to fix it in 1 driver.

Fixed Issues and Improvements

• Intermittent application crash or driver timeout may be observed while playing World of WarcraftÂŽ or World of WarcraftÂŽ Classic on RDNA™ 3 series graphics products.

It also technically does not mention dragonflight its fixed for some not for others, send a bug report each time you crash let them know you still experiencing issues, they will hopefully follow up with more fixes.

Include details of where you crashed as well, as this will also be helpful as well as in game graphic settings, you can make screenshots of each section and include that in the bug report.

It’s fixed. I have not crashed since

4 Likes

How many days have you played so far since you stopped crashing ?

I’m not that person but I’ve been playing for 9 days on DX12 without a single crash now.

I tried everything to get it to work months ago and just gave up and stayed on DX11. The only thing I did this time was update my driver via Adrenalin to 24.5.1. I didn’t even use DDU and it’s worked perfectly since.

GPU: RX7600 CPU:7800X3D OS: Win 11

Oke thanks keep us updated, i am glad situation improved for some users, so safe to assume its not fully fixed yet, but improvements where made.