AMD Radeon 7000 Series Constant Crashing

TL;DR Uninstall Discord Desktop App, use the web-version instead, and see if that fixes your issues

I’ve isolated the issue for my setup to, specifically, the Discord desktop app – ONLY when also playing WoW – even with Discord’s hardware acceleration disabled it would still be involved in the crash.

I’ve uninstalled Discord and just using the web browser – have been running WoW without any issue for two days now utilizing DX12 at both 120fps and 240fps with a GPU-stressing 57" G9 Neo Dual UHD Monitor at full 7680x2160 resolution and all settings cranked to maximum in an ITX setup; GPU stays around 53c to 65c (ITX case so space is extremely limited)

Amazing… five minutes after I shared the success I was having with this change, the crash hit… after two days and probably 16 hours of doing archaeology/watching YouTube

Maybe others will have it happen far, far less as I was experiencing w/ removing Discord desktop App but, sadly, it doesn’t appear to be 100% successful.

No idea, I give up! Nvidia here I come. 7900 XTX return initiated and ordered 4080 Super for pickup tomorrow. I want to spend my free time actually playing and not troubleshooting why I can’t play on a brand new GPU. I love tinkering and trying to fix things but other people rely on my stability so it’s a no go for me.

I hope y’all get a fix sometime this year. It’s bonkers to me this has been an issue since Nov '23

Current AMD GPU driver is 24.4.1, so I’m not sure what you’re on. In any case, this issue has persisted with WoW, specifically, at least as far back as November. I think I read some reports of it back in the Dragonflight pre-patch, but seems to have truly began with the onset of the expansion for most people.

I didn’t get a single timeout until pretty recently, though nothing on my system has changed sans swapping from a 6700 XT to a 7900 XT. I’m sitting on the 24.2.1 driver, since it was stable for a long time, and risking instability to move up isn’t something I want to do until raiding is done. (Hopefully, I just quit when TWW launches anyway.)

This what if been going thru for first months it driven me insane :smiley: and its to be expected, anyway its always worth testing out so you can experience for yourself what i have been going thru, i call it troubleshooting hell.

Reminder tho in 1-2 days will see 24.5.1 drivers likely as Ghost of Tsushima will release, i suspect AMD will potentially have driver issues with that game.

I just updated to 24.4.1, which fixed AFMF and (finally) the shader cache build on launch, at least. I’m sure I’ll get a random crash eventually, but I was only logging in and playing with frame stuff. AFMF makes everything smooth, and the latency penalty is pretty much non-existent, especially with the option to tweak the SpellQueueWindow.

In any case, at least things haven’t gotten worse. I get about one driver timeout every 3-7 days or so, most often when flying through an area with a heavy load incoming. Most recent was flying to Amirdrassil for one of our mythic raids. Prior to that, it was in Ruby Life Pools on Kokia.

Can some one fact check this, preferably some one who frequently crashed ?

https://www.amd.com/en/resources/support-articles/release-notes/RN-RAD-WIN-24-5-1.html

https://i.imgur.com/gl6fXaK.jpeg

I am posting from safe mode, i highly recommend using DDU display driver uninstaller or amd cleanup utility before installing 24.5.1 or any future gpu driver

But before that export snap settings to later import again, just keep in mind you have to spam click keep user settings after importing it or it will not keep user settings and freeze.

You can export user settings and import them where you would usually update, however i highly recommend clean install of gpu driver, each update as harsh this sounds, which is why i explained also to export snap settings.

in case amd clean up utility puts you in a bootloop stuck in safe boot / safe mode hit win+r type msconfig and navigate to boot and uncheck safe boot.

Will update post maybe in the future.

24.5.1 drivers look like having a promising fix listed.

Intermittent application crash or driver timeout may be observed while playing World of Warcraft® or World of Warcraft® Classic on RDNA™ 3 series graphics products.

I would love if they fixed it finally, I’ve been dealing with this forever and it sucks using dx11.

3 Likes

Shows over guys, We can finally pack up and go home.

1 Like

I’ve been having this issue with the ROG Ally which uses a 740M. Switching to DX11 fixed the issue.

There was zero difference between DX11 and 12.

I see their latest patch notes mention the issue… so at least they’re now (officially) aware of it?

I already returned mine, though. I picked up a 4080 Super the next morning and dropped the 7900 XTX in the mail back to the retailer. Haven’t had a single issue w/ the 4080 Super.

AMD really needs to get their act together; but with an overall market share of ~10% - 15% compared to Nvidia’s 85%+ … AMD isn’t not only NOT playing the same ballgame, they’re not even playing the same sport and it shows. =/

The new drivers appeared to have fixed the crashes in DX 12.

Hasn’t had a new driver outside of critical security updates in like five years. It’s actually kind of a miracle that you’re even able to play the game at all, seeing how the minimum recommended requirement is a gtx900 series.

For PC GPUs, yeah. Also keep in mind that they make CPU/GPUs for both Xbox and Playstation, which that 15% market share isn’t including(assuming you’re talking about stats like what you’d see on steam hardware survey). The gaming sector of AMD is roughly 25% of their overall revenue.

From what I’ve seen/heard, it does fix it. Keep in mind that there is still the i9 bios “optimized defaults” issue, so people may still have crashing if they have a combination of an i9 and an RDNA3 GPU, even after updating to the drivers that fix the problem. For those people that have that issue, I recommend checking for BIOS updates. I’d imagine it can also happen to i7 cpus as well, but since they are lower power than the i9s, it’s probably not as common. I brought it up recently that I noticed ASUS had a BIOS update for my motherboard that will now give an option to load the actual Intel specs(though the out of box setup experience will still default to the ASUS optimized default settings). I’d assume other manufacturers are doing the same.

1 Like

Running 7800X3D with 7900 XTX. Tested in every boss in Vault tonight, And also tested in DOTI on the first boss and Timeways. I did not crash. Celebration.

3 Likes

lol what? The Radeon 740M and 780M are currently the two best iGPUs available. They launched in Jan '23. The 740M is used in the Z1 and the 780M is used in the Z1 Extreme.

They just received an update yesterday. Why would ASUS use a 700 series gpu from like a decade ago for their brand new gaming handheld that is intended to compete with the Steam Deck??

I can only assume you are trolling and I’m taking the bait.

The “740M” is referring to the 8300G (APU), which came out January this year. The 8600G uses 760M, and 8700G uses 780M.

Oh I guess we’ve come full circle on numbering conventions then. Nvidia had a laptop version of a 740 many years ago called the 740m. I now see that the AMD 740m is an iGPU version of RDNA3, so yeah, it would have the same issue as any of the 7xxx cards would. I guess I don’t keep up with iGPUs lol

1 Like

AMD and Nvidia have both been pretty ridiculous with naming conventions lately.

Nvidia wins the crown with their GPUs being 4080, 4080 Super, 4080 Ti, and then 4080 Ti Super. @_@

I was just so used to AMD doing the whole four digit thing for a while there. But yeah, Nvidia’s recent names with all the super and ti stuff kind of cracks me up. Oh wait, if they didn’t use it, then they’d end up doing the same thing AMD did with naming. Instead of it being a 4080 super ti, it would be something like an rtx 4185 where the 1 and 5 would indicate super or ti.

/cry, doesnt fix the issue for older cards, i was having the same issue with RX 480, I guess ill stick with DX11,lol

1 Like

Funny how some people still think its hardware related, if it was hardware related i would not have this issue anymore, because of the extended testing i have done for weeks if not months, this argument is driving me insane its like they assume users with this problem not to know basic troubleshooting steps.

An hardware issue would still be easier fix then a driver issue that AMD ignores, because AMD has no mercy they will let you suffer for years if you are naive enough to stick with AMD that is.

1 Like