AMD Radeon 7000 Series Constant Crashing

The crashing that was directly related to the AMD GPU drivers with DX12 IS fixed. Any other crashing is likely due to other issues like the 13/14th gen i9 issue or other drivers and environmental conditions such as security softwares, registry tweaks, vpns, etc.

It’s a fix. They would have stated if it was just an improvement and would have still included it in the known issues section as well. Also, it’s just a change in their template wording. I went through every driver patch note release, all the way back to 22.12.1 and never once have they worded it as “Fixed Issues and Improvements,” so it’s highly unlikely that it’s any different from when they used to just say “Fixed Issues” and have the improvements in another section like “performance highlights” or something. In the previous 24.4.1 drivers, the WoW and WoW Classic crashes were listed in known issues and in the latest drivers, they are not.

You’re trying to imply it meaning something like “crashing will happen slightly less often,” but that’s wrong and they would have worded it as such and still kept it in the known issues section as well.

The only thing in that list of 24.5.1 notes that might be deemed partially fixed would be the “Intermittent stutter immediately after alt-tab with Performance Metrics Overlay enabled” one but that has more to do with Microsoft and how Windows handles some stuff. For instance, Nvidia has had a long lasting issue for like a year now with the checkboard artifacts in chromium based browsers and it turns out that it was due to a Windows issue and that it’s fixed, but will take a month or two to roll out to everyone. (in the Nvidia case, it’s a Windows interaction issue with direct_composition_video_overlays flag in the browser, so it’s still probably related to the AMD stuttering while alt tabbing issue while having performance metrics overlays enabled, since they are both dealing with overlays).

Stop trying to perpetuate this thread with these baseless claims. If you’re still having crashing problems on the fully updated latest build of Windows, after following all the standard Blizzard troubleshooting like disabling all startup programs, security softwares, disabling/undoing any overclocking/undervolting, etc, then you need to post logs and dxdiag reports.

1 Like

Pretty sure they fixed nothing and intent to deploy real fix on next driver, after they fact checked a lot of feedback and user feedback from forums such as these, i am not sure if i ever said it but first few days after new driver users report its fixed, then next couple of days users report its still broken, i do not think this is coincidence their also a whole load of shader issues with other games, i am pretty sure you realised shaders calculate light data.

Some other games i have seen similar issues but its just not always presented as the same flickering as NVIDIA had with World of Warcraft.

Also not all games produce noticeable visual bugs or perhaps they are there but not easy to see because its not flashing on and off, also some games have crashing issues rather then visual bugs.

Blizzard has the ability to debug this with AMD, or they can let us all suffer and it will take much longer, eitherway its pretty obvious all these issues may come back upon pre patch for the war within expansion, as well as all the issues NVIDIA has had, i have no reason to trust Blizzard at all.

I haven’t had a driver timeout or crash since the new driver came out. It’s tempting to go back to running an underclock for temp reasons, since WoW… doesn’t really use this GPU all that much.

7900 XT (Sapphire Pulse)

1 Like

Give it a try and see how it goes. If you’re just undervolting or downclocking the card, it should be fine. Though going too low with undervolting can cause crashes with anything.

Or just cap your frame rate to something between 90-120fps, it will yield the same results of lowering power consumption.

1 Like

oh yea i got a 7900xtx this happens to me all the time and god it is annoying. I probably should just bought the nvidia card and paid the premium. For me it doesnt matter if im running overlocked or stock. It still crash out.

1 Like

My card was crashing in wotlk. It literally just happened when i was in av to just afked out.

1 Like

Once pre patch releases for The War Within NVIDIA users will have problems again, at least on Directx12, i find it highly unlikely it won’t be an issue.

Their is a good chance AMD may have issues as well, but i have no experience with previous expansion issues for AMD except for during Dragonflight.

So it no longer does ? assuming that crash was on older drivers ?

i just tried to remove windowed optimizations ill get back on here if it fixes my problems. But my 7900xtx paired with a 7800x3d driver timed out in wotlk, prepatch, and in cata. Then server went down for maintenance. using driver 24.5.1 does it oc or default settings.

It’s going to default if you didn’t set an overclock. Default will only have the stock boost feature. Anything else requires manual tuning.

You can try wiping your shader cache, but I couldn’t say if that will work. I’ve had no timeouts since this driver came out, and I started using it (7900 XT–also 7800X3D and 6000 Mhz OC’d RAM, but that’s not relevant). I updated all of my drivers when I swapped, though, but I was already not experiencing timeouts very often to begin with.

my 7900 XTX can boost up to 3050 mhz already at stock + the crazy cooling i have anyway my crashes in World of Warcraft have been rare as well, especially 7900 XTX it was my 6900 XT early expansion that would freeze or driver timeout 3 times a day, and always in same zone gogrond, i do not even remember crashing anywhere else, i wonder why usually when i reach gogrond buffs expire i go thru bunch of loading screens reset buff but always ended up freezing in Gogrond, the game had memory leak issue at the time with dx11 as well so dx12 it was then, atleast that was reported, i think i read somewhere to when it was fixed but i do not believe anything users say, unless they have played for a month without issue.

I have a Liquid devil 7900 XTX with crazy cooling way beyond what normal user would have, even for water cooling but only since i got the 7900 XTX.

Well this isn’t early expansion, this is a year and a half later AKA now. Again, stop perpetuating this thread.

You’re welcome to your own opinion, but don’t then spam the forums making claims that the fix doesn’t work. The latest AMD drivers did, end of story. Stop trying to confuse people and like I said before:

If you’re still having crashing problems on the fully updated latest build of Windows, after following all the standard Blizzard troubleshooting like disabling all startup programs, security softwares, disabling/undoing any overclocking/undervolting, etc, then you need to post logs and dxdiag reports.

1 Like

If mods are gonna pick favorites you may as well delete this post as well
https://i.imgur.com/flPpLJJ.png

Anyway i have had issues for 16+ months wasted 200 euros on expansion + subscription i will not stop complaining, if i get silenced i find other ways to complain and take legal action

Want me to stop give me a full refund of the last 16+ months Blizzard has been wasting for me

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/amd-radeon-7000-series-constant-crashing/1720639/279

This is still happening. I’m just going to get a new computer. I’m so tired of all these undervolting crap i have to do to not crash

Post a DXDIAG report on pastebin.com and link it here. Select the url and press ctrl+e or click the </> button above to make it look like this

1 Like

people still having problems with this? why not dump AMD and use Nivida or something that has less problems

7800x3D and 7900XTX player here.

I record a lot, so I run full install. But I turn everything off in Adrenalin except for Anti Lag and Instant Replay (20m setting) which is like Shadowplay. Unfortunately, I have also been dealing with this since about 10.1.5.

The only thing that has really helped has been switching to DX11. 120FPS on High everywhere, doesnt matter what. But DX12 was giving me 144+ on Ultra with RT so it’s definitely a performance hit.

My scenario is a black screen crash every once in a while with recovery within 10-15 seconds. Sometimes that only results in a delay. 99% of the time, it results in a loss - especially in Arena/Shuffle.

As I primarily PvP nowadays, I see most of my crashes in Black Rook Hold and whatever the Bastion style arena is. In normal game content, I never crash - it’s only in those two specific arenas.

I also play DayZ (1600+ hours - 200 on this rig), BG3 (600+ hours - ALL on this rig), and a smattering of other games (Tomb Raider, SoM, AC, PUBG, etc.) and I only experience crashing in this game under very specific circumstances.

It does seem to be a DX12 issue with WoW in particular. If I drop down to DX11, I can go weeks without a crash. A Shader Cache reset fixes it for a while.

It’s not a question about dumping one brand for another - nVidia also had early DX12 issues. It’s the finger pointing blame game that irks me. Other game studios work hand-in-hand with manufacturers to develop stable drivers. It seems, through track record, that Blizzard caters specifically to nVidia. Afterall, we’re still on FSR 1.0 here…

Anywho. Just my two uninformed cents. Take from that what you will.

And the upscaling feature is entirely broken in WoW since 10.2, with no acknowledgement or implication of a fix any time soon.

For whatever reason, the 7900 XTX in particular struggles the most with the driver timeout. I’m curious if it was linked to power spiking on a sudden load, since most of my timeouts occurred flying into a dense area (such as on the way to Amirdrassil, or loading everyone waiting for Dragonbane Keep), though they were still few and far between and I had it occur on Kokia in RLP. I haven’t had one since the latest driver, though I batch-updated all of my drivers. Unlikely that had much to do with it, though.

I run the Full Install, and typically only have Anti-Lag running (and in some cases AFMF to keep heat low when I’m not doing much). There’s a custom monitor color profile, but that has been used off and on, and has no correlation with the timeouts when I had them.

2 Likes

I believe FSR2 needs TAA i do not think World of Warcraft supports this, heck its kind of funny Overwatch has no TAA either but does have FSR2 but it does not work as well as people think, its actually making no difference, you can tell by turning off FSR2 and using FSR1 or no upscaling at 67% renderscale you get more fps then you would have with FSR2, would not suprise me if all the issues happen purely because of FSR1 in World of Warcraft.

Some users have reported to crash more often when using multiple AA techniques at the same time, they should not be used at the same time clearly.

Ok so turning the windows optimization seems to do the fix for me. However its not a perfect solution. I also lose hdr which really helps the game look better. The crashign def seems like a windows issues. Tho it will crash even if it was running stock with optimizations enabled. My settings for my 7900xtx is 3090 core 2650 mem +15 power.

1 Like

Directx12 already uses flip presentation model dx11 can do this to but last time i checked it did not in dx11, however that was long time ago, so its more likely due autohdr unless you run dx11