AMD Radeon 7000 Series Constant Crashing

Anyone here tested dx 12 with the 24.2.1 drivers to see if the issue is still occuring?

Mixed reports from the other thread. I have a 7900 XT arriving on Monday and plan on testing with the latest driver, as well as the one I’ve had running stable with my 6700 XT.

Edit: Poking through the other, much older threads stuck on the same problem with Driver Timeouts and GPU crashes, it’s roused my suspicion of the singular time I triggered this problem: My undervolt crashes.

I’m curious if a power or clocking spike is triggering this, as stock settings have zero issues, but under heavy loads I’ve caused undervolt/underclock setups to break and cause the driver to implode. Outside of that niche situation, the only driver that was causing this was the brief moment I attempted to use the mainstream non-AFMF enabled driver, in which that repeatedly crashed inside Throne of the Tides in various spots for me.

As a result, I continue to use the AFMF preview driver, since it’s completely stable for me (after the long initial startup for building the shader cache). I will attempt to use the latest driver first, and then revert to preview driver should it fail. If that fails, I’ll probably ride out the rest of tier with my 6700 XT before deciding what to do in the absence of more fixes from AMD. Clearly, something changed on their 7000-series architecture for a lot of people, or something under the hood of WoW coincided with it (specifically in 10.2).

2 Likes

My 4080 Super fixed my 7900xtx not working. Took a few hundred dollar loss on the trade but I’m just glad I’m not randomly crashing out anymore. I really hope the devs and AMD come together to get this fixed for you guys cause it is insane.

1 Like

I have a 7900XT using 24.2.1 and dx 12. After clearing shader cache and waiting for the LONG startup, I haven’t had a crash yet.

I did see something from AMD finally in the release notes for the driver that mentioned WOW, but oddly they references the 6800 series.

The other side note is this time I did not tune the fan curve. I prefer a more aggressive curve (IOW: cooler temps) and don’t care about noise. I don’t know if there was a voltage issue as well.

1 Like

The fix for WoW is supposed to be the long startup, but I suppose manually clearing the shader cache might still trigger a long rebuild (I’m not using the latest driver, yet, but my Pulse 7900 XT arrived. Probably Sunday night before I can start testing it, though).

The long startup issue is a seperate issue than the driver / timeout crashes that are occuring just while using DX 12 not on startup.

This is a different problem than the blue post. The game launches fine.

The game CRASHES with a black screen on AMD 7000 GPUs.

Still happening on 7900 XTX.

But only crashes with DX 12.

1 Like

AMD FSR has been broken since November 2023 for me.
7900XT latest drivers. Win11 23H2

1 Like

I found a specific place that crashes my AMD GPU driver when set to DirectX 12: Tideskorn Harbor in Stormheim. I flew over it and got stuck crashing until changing to DirectX 11. The dmesg error message is “[drm:amdgpu_job_timedout [amdgpu]] ERROR ring gfx_0.0.0 timeout, but soft recovered”.

So, this was a lie. Long initial startup on my 7900 XT.

I flew all around here for several minutes, and I was unable to trigger any crashes. 24.2.1 driver on my 7900 XT.

Completed a (+15) Waycrest Manor with no crashes, and then manually went to Throne of the Tides through the Vashj’ir portal and cleared it on heroic. Previously, a TotT key with the mainstream WHQL driver (the one right before the AFMF full release) was constantly crashing me in a Throne key. Somehow timed it with me being offline for 80% of it, and trying to carry someone.

I’ve flown around the Emerald Dream, killed the world boss, and used an Inky Black Potion.
Edit: Have since cleared multiple Dawn-Fall / ADZ keys, and mythic Fyrakk progression. Still stable.

Windows 10 LTSC 2021
ASrock Steel Legend X670E
7900 XT (Sapphire Pulse), and formerly 6700 XT (also Sapphire Pulse)
7800X3D
Corsair Vengeace, 6000 Mhz, CL30 (32 gigs)
Samsung EVO 990 Pro x2 (OS and Games separate) (Samsung Magician was used to update firmware)

Everything is running at stock settings with default boost (no Undervolt or Overclock).
I’ve used O&OSU, disabled MPO, and a bunch of other bloaty services I don’t use.

Hopefully, this is a good omen that I can continue with this card without issues.

This hangup still exists today on launch

1 Like

Brackenhide Hollow on mine, I’d get even near that place and it’d start crashing.

1 Like

Same AMD XTX issue. Single and duo open world play is mostly stable for me. Dungeons crash maybe once an evening.

Discovered today that fighting Undead Ravagers in Desolace reliably triggers the crash.

Strong chance that’s a bad shader crashing the driver. Try clearing the shader cache in the Adrenalin settings. You’ll have to dig through the menus to find it, I can’t remember exactly where they moved it to when they shuffled the tabs around a while back. It might not fix the issue, but it’s worth trying first. If it continues to happen after clearing it, then it’s probably on the GPU driver end of things since they handle compiling the shaders.

1 Like

Testing new drivers. The game still stalled when switching to dx 12, but it was a 5-10 second wait. I am testing on manifested timeways and havent crashed yet, 20 min test so far. need more to test

testing, crashed after 30 min.

One thing that has worked to fix the crashing for me is to turn raytracing on. Since turning it on a few weeks ago, I have not had a single driver crash. The obvious downside of this is performance can and does take a massive dive in many areas, but it’s usually fine in most dungeons.

Makes me wonder if the driver crash is possibly power related, similar to how the 6000-series had some massive transient power spikes when it would switch from low usage to high usage very fast. Or something that is just being triggered by similar conditions.

1 Like

I kinda speculated this, but I’m unable to replicate the problem outside of a specific driver in a niche situation on my 6700 XT. After switching back to the driver I was using, everything was fine. I’ve since upgraded to a 7900 XT, and still don’t have any issues.

If it was a power thing, you could increase your minimum clocks or/and increase your power limit. However, I ran both cards at stock with no issues (I did run my 6700 XT on an undervolt for a while, but those never seem to play nice with WoW, specifically). I tab in and out a lot, and WoW’s FPS minimum is 20, and max is manually set to 240.

go into your windows settings and disable the xbox and or windows game bar this cured the issues i was having with constant crashes

Looks like after 440+ days game still has issues with Radeon gpu’s with both AMD and Blizzard ignoring the issue, even if you spam bug report tool for about an hour every 1 minute with same bug report it keeps being ignored, and if you bug report for another game like Dying light 2 they get so confused they think the bug only happens with RT and not without, making a known issue that does not match the actual bug while still somehow managing to fix 90% of the bugs.

This may sound controversial but i would start sending a bug report every day least about any wow issues, ramp up reports if they ignore it even with next driver release, no point spamming on the forums here looks like Blizzard been already aware for a couple of months, they probably have more luck reaching out to AMD to figure out what the issue is.

Most defiantly bad shaders causing issues, still want compensation from Blizzard as my sub already expired, once they fix all the issues, if not im gonna boycot Blizzard for life.

6900 XT can spike to like 1000w and a good 1000w psu can handle transients way above their rating even, and if been thru 2 power suplies 1300w and 1200w both tier A rating, altho i won’t argue if this could be issue for others, i am 100% certain this is a game / driver issue.

AMD has a way to optimize the graphics pipeline down in their driver even block certain broken shaders and use a more optimized shader something that Blizard should fix usually not AMD but AMD can defiantly fix, and i know from Experience NVIDIA does this as well but they have to do this for every expansion, which is why at launch NVIDIA users had a lot of shader issues, which is defiantly Blizzard fault.
Its kind of hard to fix an issue when you keep firing staff that handles these fixes let alone handles feedback right before launch of an expansion.

This no longer can be disabled since recent updates, it also handles important things like game mode and forcing the game to utilize the right cpu threads for optimal performance especially for x3D chips but also other Ryzen cpu’s so defiantly do not recommend, using some tweak to uninstall game bar but that is defiantly possible, you can ask bing ai chat how to uninstall game bar thru winget if you want to try that still.

Agree with pawgwalker on this defiantly shader issue, if had no luck my self tho triggering any crash yet just started testing, if always just had freezes in world of warcraft rather then driver timeouts, now i run a 7900 XTX these days if not played in months cos if completly given up on game cos of ignorance from devs including AMD on the issues.