[AMD] Missing character textures after 9.0

We don’t know that, and none of us with more in depth knowledge have said that. It IS fixable. How hard it would be depends on how the code is written.

2 Likes

Solve this PLS

4 Likes

Its driving me nuts arguing with people that say “just upgrade your PC” like buying a new PC on a whim is a small thing.

13 Likes

There is a big difference between the age of the cpu’s affected and a ryzen cpu. There are dozens of different cpu’s released between those that are not affected. The cpu’s are so old they don’t support an instruction set that was introduced to pc’s almost EIGHT years ago.

This really sucks, but sooner or later old hardware has to stop being supported for games to advance. The AVX instruction set we’re talking about here has real advantages, increased performance being one of them.

1 Like

But what CPU? I’m guessing an older AMD?

You are correct. Been a while since I looked under the hood of her computer. AMD Phenom confirmed. I am perfectly happy to be wrong, I just want the problem fixed!

AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core 2.4 GHz
Nvidia GTS 450

Guess it’s time to bring her into 2020…/sigh

Yea this is pissing me off as well. I am disabled. The government has decided my value is only worth $400 a month. This barely covers my rent, bills, and basic needs.

This 1 texture issue is my only issue with the game right now. Everything else runs smoother than butter.

8 Likes

The blame falls on old hardware. It might be hard to accept but the simple fact is, this hardware doesn’t do what the game needs it to do and that is why this is happening. We don’t know if Blizz plans to fix it.

Intel Core I3-10100 Processor + Mother Gigabyte H410M H + 8GB DDR4 Memory

does it work or does it not work?

That sadly isn’t possible. The zones aren’t even the issue, its not like characters will render differently in older zones.

We just have to hope they decide its worth fixing.

1 Like

It’s not that its a small thing, its that unless Blizz decides to change something that might be your only option if you want to continue playing. And this isn’t the only modern game with an issue like this, these cpu’s are unfortunately just old.

World of Warcraft putting the FUN in reFUNd.

That 80 bucks might go to a new computer one day.

6 Likes

No, sir. The blame falls 100% on Blizzard’s engineers. The fact is the hardware can do what the game needs it to do.

But hardware isn’t intelligent, and can’t figure out for itself what it’s supposed to do, unless you tell them precisely what to do. It’s a coding issue.

7 Likes

Running and AMD Athlon II X4 640 with Nvidia GPU

I understand that my processor is outdated to the point that it apparently is unable to handle the upgrades for Shadowlands, so I guess since I can’t afford to upgrade my PC I will have to unsub for the game, Luckily I hadn’t purchased Shadowlands yet so I guess there is a silver lining there.

Thanks for the fun, and goodbye.

8 Likes

Elocin,

I appreciate you responding to everyone. Here is my issue. On my characters, where no changes have been made, no new hairstyles, no new features for the pre-patch have been made to them and I am seeing this bug. This should not be happening at all because nothing new was added to my characters and I am sure others as well. If the issue was old processors, then why are we still not able to see the old textures that were working fine before the pre-patch. Since nothing was changed those textures should still work. This means Blizzard devs were sloppy, they were told about this in beta and ptr and never addressed it so now that it is live they are dealing with the fallout. Yes fix the log in issues which are more important first but this is also important to many players and need to be corrected.

It is beyond absurd to expect thousands of players to upgrade their “Old” pcs and spend hundreds of dollars in our current economic situation because blizzard never addressed this issue that these same players were not having before the pre-patch. I have upgraded pcs for games before when I felt it warranted doing so or the games were unplayable anymore. This is far from this issue, as many have stated including myself, the game works great and we are not seeing other issues besides this so if it was hardware problem our “Old” hardware would be causing other massive issues and no one is reporting this that I have seen. If I am able to log in, pvp, run dungeons, swap out weapons, transmog gear, framerates look good, etc. logic dictates that it is not the hardware that is the problem but code that blizzard added or a change they made that is causing this. Blizzard caused this issue and they need to fix it, not tell players “Hey, we made this change to your game you have been playing just fine until yesterday, so to fix it you have to spend hundreds of dollars to fix it by upgrading your hardware. Sorry we are not fixing this for you because it is how we want to code our game so you should not complain or think we are going to do anything about it” this is the absolute wrong way to handle and deal with your customers.

Rant off, blizzard needs to make this right. How could they allow this very visible bug that is affecting thousand’s of players to go live and not mention it. As I mentioned before, maybe they should not have fired so many people recently and they might have actually caught and fixed this before it went live.

14 Likes

Yeah, that’s just sad, that’s all I can say on the subject.

2 Likes

I think it’s fair to accept some computers might be old and beneath the requirements. But if they’re still able to run the game but NOT certain textures, seems weird Blizzard wouldn’t bother fixing. But honestly, it’s blizzard we’re talking about soooo

4 Likes

You’re purposely ignoring everything that has been explained in this thread. Blizz is using an avx instruction set for the new textures it seems. This cpu can NOT do avx instructions. Therefor, the cpu can not do what the game requires and this is likely why it is no longer supported.
Yea, it sucks. But that doesn’t shift the blame. What else the cpu can do in game doesn’t change what it can’t do in game. And it CAN’T do avx instructions.

Calling it a coding issue implies they did this on accident. If they intended to use avx and render these textures on cpu instead of gpu they knew this would happen.
I get that this sucks, I really do. I have pc’s affected as well. But old hardware has to be replaced eventually. It happens.

2 Likes

i think the same, but unfortunately i have paid 3 months in advance :frowning:

I know, it’s the same thing that happened with most of the games I mentioned on my post, but instead of AVX, it was SSSE3 (Suplemental SSE3 Instructions). The root of the issue is on AMD’s fault, people with Sandy/Ivy Bridges (2nd and 3rd Intel Gen) can run Apex Legends, for example, but people with an AMD FX8300 can’t.

And I mentioned Ryzen CPUs not because i’m comparing “old vs new”, I mentioned it because people (at least the majority of which i talked to) think all AMD users are already Ryzen-based.