[AMD] Missing character textures after 9.0

I’m fairly sure that the players reporting the issue here are only of a fraction of the portion that’s experiencing the problem. So this is definitely a safe bet, in my tired opinion.

3 Likes

would assume it wouldn’t be that hard of a fix or to find out ? As everything was working fine prior to the pre patch. So what happened?

I was running the game great. And it’s just the textures on the character models everyone else has mentioned that don’t work… and that was what i wanted to play around with tonight :confused:

No one knows for sure but Bragonsbane and I suspect they changed something in the code for the new character customization which requires an instruction set the cpu’s here don’t support.

Golden triangle to …

Your 3d acceleration is unsupported by Wow…

Just got a little white box…

Well nothing $300 would not fix.

End of a good run…

Have fun.

1 Like

would this possibly work for me as well ? Trying to figure out a way to go about this.

hopefully this is something they can fix quickly x3
As it was happening on the PTR as well and nothing fixed it.

you need socket AM3+ to fit the FX chip. Some AM3 boards will do it with a BIOS update, but you’re venturing into territory that scares me and I’m a programmer for a living.

It would depend on the motherboard, that cpu can work in both AM2+ as well as AM3. However I believe fx series only work in AM3.

I would still suggest waiting a bit to see what Blizz says before buying new hardware.

4 Likes

Well, they have ANOTHER maintenance period scheduled for tomorrow morning now. Can almost be sure it ain’t to fix this issue. Missing toons & inability to login at all are my bet for the morning fix-it…

This is new to me, I was under the impression AM3 worked with fx outta the box (both of my motherboards did).

Sooo then it will require a new chip and a new motherboard with my current build yeah?

what is your mobo? @Nhimlann is suggesting that AM3 worked out of the box, but I’d bet it’s the newer boards that already had teh BIOS update.

& as for upgrading hardware, that ain’t gonna happen before next year so Bliz is gonna lose at least one subscriber again… :frowning: Figures too, I was starting to like playing again…

2 Likes

it’s a MS-7642 board.

But yeah I’m waiting currently just looking around at my options since i don’t wanna play with textures missing. Thanks for the tips though!

You’d likely be correct but I went back to check (its been some years since I purchased the replacement) and it is indeed AM3+.

The only way to “go about” anything is to wait. If every other texture in the game works perfectly fine except the body textures - even the frackin face - and the performance is perfectly fine (and has been for the last decade) then we can assume that every other aspect of the game properly accommodates this “instruction set” which you seem to think is the problem. If this one tiny little aspect of the game fails to accommodate it, that’s just a simple oversight. Regardless, running out to buy a new CPU the day of a new patch when half the game is broken is extremely irrational.

3 Likes
Manufacturer Part # MS-7642
Performance
Product Type System Board
Form Factor Micro ATX
CPU Socket Type Socket AM3
Supported CPU(s) AMD Athlon II Processor
AMD Phenom II Processor
AMD Sempron Processor

:thinking:

ooferino dude… maybe a BIOS update could fix it, but idk if the physical socket would take the chip. AM3+ has an extra pin that prevents it from slotting into a lot of AM3 boards.

This is one of those sketchy areas that scares me a bit.

Em, I’m guessing getting the fx 8350 would also require a better power supply for a dinosaur of an Athlon II build with a crappy one? (this is really embarassing to ask lol).

Pretty much why I haven’t really messed around in-game tonight–just not the same without character textures. I might log in later to try to do a stress test with a bunch of players spamming AoE in a small area, because it seems that’s usually where things can start to slow down, so if an older CPU can still handle that like a champ in 9.0 it seems reasonable that one could still handle the expac itself…with some sort of fix for the missing textures, that is.

Trying to blame this on some sort of CPU “limitation” is ridiculous. The physics works, the netcode works, the audio works, 98% of the game’s textures work, and the performance is mostly fine. There aren’t any special instructions just to render ankles (thighs render fine).

This is either unbelievably poor beta testing and version control (that led to the game being compiled with the wrong switches and no fallbacks - which means instead of using slightly faster code on newer CPUs, it only includes the new code - but if that were the case there should be a lot of other things not working properly, including frequent crashes), or the result of some partnership with CPU manufacturers to force people to “upgrade” when there’s no real need.

1 Like