Alterac Valley in Classic

I could make the same statement about AV 1.5. And no-doubt others will make the same statement you did, about things like removing DHKs.

So this will be my last post in this thread for a while. Iā€™ve reread the OP. It looks like Blizzard listened to feedback while picking the 1.12 AV.

All three of those links are to threads talking about AV and how they should not pick 1.12 AV. First thread had 132 replies, second had 152 replies, and the third had 6 replies.

The first thread brought up the original AV.

The second thread brought up up each change in AV to the patch.

The third thread asked for a compromise.

I briefly looked over those threads. I see some of the same people who are debating with me now have commented in those threads and are reusing their talking points.

It looks like Blizzard listened to feedback. People in this thread are claiming Blizzard needs to look at feedback. They linked three threads showing you that they did. They said they did in the thread, yet people are still making it out that Blizzard isnā€™t listening. They listened, they just didnā€™t choose what you wanted.

Yes you could. And thatā€™s why we are here. To debate and go over everything so that Blizzard can gather enough information to know what is the best route to take.

Sure, but as I said above, thereā€™s a line no change has crossed, and this would be the first to cross it. At that point, it undermines arguments for other popular changes.

To be frank I am not sure what this comment really addresses. Iā€™ve not once made the argument that they do not look into the feedback. If anything Iā€™ve stated that we need to make sure that they get as much as possible.

What this means is that they believed, at the time of posting this thread, that such feedback was insufficient to change their minds from 1.12 AV. The more they collect the better, if it leads to 1.12 AV then yes, as youā€™ve stated before, that is their choice, even if many of us argue that it is the wrong one.

My largest argument has been that Iā€™ve felt their stated points are weak.

1 Like

Ok this is my last last post lol.

Didnā€™t mean to direct that reply at you. Was meant to be a general thing. Must have clicked something wrong. Originally tried to reply to you but I thought I made it general.

1 Like

That line however can be better defined. Defining it as strictly 1.12 is making it fairly easy to cross. Their main point was keeping the game to Vanilla era.

On top of that this just addresses a single battleground, a single part within a part of the game itself.

1 Like

Haha okay yeah no worry, I understand. Think Iā€™ve done that too.

1 Like

This is a line they havenā€™t crossed with any part of the game yet. All changes that are pre CP6 using pre 1.12 configurations will be 1.12 by CP6. At that point, except for non-Vanilla elements theyā€™re adding for business and technical reasons, there are no non 1.12 changes.

Content will be progressed, but it will end up at 1.12. Gear release will be progressed but will end up at 1.12.

I would be totally ok with AV being recreated for CP3, until CP6 when it becomes 1.12, but thatā€™s not what anyone arguing for 1.5 is willing to accept, as outlined over and over above.

There is a line, which is easy to define and has not been crossed. I am glad that Blizzard is not picking and choosing what they do or donā€™t like, or what the playerbase calls for the most, because LFD was a popular feature when it was first added. Not all popularity contests end in a good outcome.

Parts of 1.5 are good. Other parts resulted in multi-day battles with no outcome until one side simply couldnā€™t maintain numbers and attrition killed off the battle. On PVP servers, that mean Horde usually won. On PVE servers, that meant Alliance usually won. And a large part of the player base in Vanilla cried out for improvements to AV, which resulted in 1.12.

Good or bad outcome, that is the line theyā€™ve drawn.

1 Like

Iā€™ll simply just disagree. Sadly to continue this would be arguing semantics but from the Blizzcon and everything Iā€™ve gathered I cannot feel that that is the ā€œlineā€ that theyā€™ve drawn. I feel they are using 1.12 as the base and primary yes, but do not feel like it is an end all be all.

And while I disagree, I do understand and find this argument the strongest one Iā€™ve heard for it being 1.12.

2 Likes

Iā€™ll accept that theyā€™re willing to entertain those sorts of changes, after the first time they actually entertain those sorts of changes.

EDIT: But I do understand the difference of opinion.

Yep it is insulting to ruin someones art, and ignore the reasons behind it.

Nothing like dismissing unwavering posts as ā€œtalking pointsā€.

2 Likes

I would like to take a moment to reiterate that, on a personal level, I am not specifically calling for 1.5 ā€“ my preference is simply for anything prior to 1.11ā€™s version of AV. Strictly speaking, my reasons are that if Blizz opts to continue with a ā€˜Classic Seriesā€™ of servers, adding in TBC and / or Wrath at some point in the future, either TBC and Classic will share a mechanically-identical AV or TBC and Wrath will, because for the most part, the only change in TBC was the revamp, and Wrath didnā€™t have any significant changes to mechanics at all.

My argument does not center on the ā€˜bestā€™ version of AV, but instead on the ā€˜preservationā€™ idea. If there will be other expansion servers (which I am not stating a preference on ā€“ merely pointing out the possibility of), 1.11-mechanic AV was active for the majority of TBC. Let the ā€˜museum pieceā€™ that is Classic reflect a version that was never available during any other expansion.

I think the lump sum here is that Iā€™m willing to entertain the notion that Blizzard might consider those other expansion servers if they think it will net them more subs returning. If thatā€™s the case, Iā€™d like the museum to showcase ā€“ well, the differences, beyond just a level increase. Different times, different developments.

Additionally, the AQ war effort was not a part of 1.12, specifically. Yet it is included, because to not include it would be to ignore a significant part of Vanillaā€™s history. Were it up to me, Iā€™d prefer to have several versions of AV available, but Iā€™ll only shoot for the moon instead of the stars.

1 Like

Theyā€™re not trying to make a franken-version though. They have said theyā€™re recreating 1.12 as it was in 2006. Considering that 1.11 was in June 2006, its a good quarter of Vanilla that was in the state youā€™re disliking, and 1.5 was June 7 2005. So yes there was ā€œMoreā€ of pre-1.11, but for any one stable version, 1.11 - 2.01 was the longest single running ā€œformatā€.

But again, it isnā€™t a case of ā€˜bestā€™ or ā€˜optionsā€™. Theyā€™re recreating a known point in time because they have it completely, and its their most cohesive version with as many of the ā€˜fixesā€™ as they could have.

Iā€™m not even going to get into the ā€œbestā€ argument, because thatā€™s a passion debate, which has nothing to do with their decision making process.

This is patently a spurious argument. As a concession to the players, they have replicated the progression cycle one time only to allow people to experience the movement through the patches. As I said above, thereā€™s a legitimate case for progressive adjustment of AV from 1.5 through to 1.12, but since thatā€™s not good enough, people keep dismissing it. AQā€™s elements as well as the leftover quests from the AQ event were still in the game.

Additionally, any new server that opened up, would have to go through the AQ event sequence, building up materials until Patch 3.0.8a the Wrath release, when the gates were automatically opened. So at 1.12, your argument is absolutely false. 1.12 did contain all the elements of the AQ opening event and if your server hadnā€™t done it, you didnā€™t get access to AQ40. They removed the quests in Cataclysm.

If youā€™re going to argue from a point of passion, please do so. I understand the passion. If youā€™re going to argue specifics, please donā€™t get them wrong.

Once again, not about my ā€˜dislikeā€™, Iā€™d just prefer to preserve more things. However, in reference to the time-frame, Iā€™m afraid thatā€™s likely a tie.

Patch Date dropped Summarized Changes to AV Days AV Had This Patch
1.5 06-07-05 BG Added. 35
1.6 07-12-05 NPC respawn timers adjusted. 90
1.8 10-10-05 Map trimmed. 169
1.10 03-28-06 Korrak retired. 83
1.11 06-19-06 Guards largely removed. 169
2.0.1 12-05-06 TBC Pre-patch.

(Dates and patch numbers sourced from the wiki.)
If I remember right, the pre-patch actually had the server down on the day before, but since I canā€™t remember every day that the servers were down (and canā€™t swear on my memory of 12-04-06, it being over ten years ago), itā€™d be wrong to take the day away from 1.11.

I concur, thatā€™s what I specifically was responding with, that I am not seeking a ā€˜bestā€™ version. Iā€™m not out to determine the best. Iā€™d pick 1.8 strictly based on it being the most ā€˜only Vanilla had this version and it was the longest running of all AV versions in Vanillaā€™, but that is literally the reason I would pick it ā€“ but itā€™s not up to me. Iā€™m just presenting an argument for why I would like to see any version other than 1.11ā€™s preserved for Classic.

Iā€™m honestly curious ā€“ is there a source on the ā€˜one time onlyā€™? Iā€™ve seen people talk about resets, new servers, etc etc. So Iā€™m honestly curious if itā€™s been said specifically by anyone at Blizz. I think resets would be pure insanity, so Iā€™d actually like to have it on-hand if I need it.

The only reason I would consider this as ā€˜not good enoughā€™ is that this would be the same version as a different expansionā€™s AV (TBC), or TBC would share a version with Wrath. Iā€™m seeking diversity if those servers happen, and that is all.

Ahh, thatā€™s fair.

My apologies for the AQ comment then, as I hadnā€™t thought about the new servers which were spun up during 1.12. I was well-entrenched elsewhere. :slight_smile:

I will concede that. I thought (though didnā€™t confirm) there were changes to AV in every patch. I do remember them constantly tweaking it, but didnā€™t realise nothing changed in 1.9 (or 1.7 but it was a faster cycle).

1 Like

Only in implication about what they intended for it going forward. Iā€™ll have to find the museum piece quotes, as one had it as ā€œalways available from then onā€, implying it wouldnā€™t reset.

We have no confirmation or even inkling that theyā€™ll even make a TBC server. They said ā€œno plansā€ repeatedly and once said ā€œno plans yetā€.

Looking at the timeline from Enshuiā€™s post anywhere from 1.6 to 1.8 Would be perfect, anything after that seems like major overhauls and drastic changes to the overall experience of an epic warzone feel.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s very true. But since I donā€™t expect Blizz to go back and change what version is in Classic later if they opt to do so, I feel it deserves being brought up sooner rather than later.

Mind you, in a perfect world, you could enter any of Vanillaā€™s versions of AV in Classic because they were all markedly different, but again ā€“ shooting for what I think is more on the possible side.

2 Likes