Allow Fire Elemental Totem to reset with other raid CDs

As it stands now, Fire Elemental is a huge DPS increase for shamans and keeps them kinda viable. It feels really bad that your 5 min cd (glyphed) that keeps you viable doesn’t reset with the other raid cooldowns. There are so many scenarios when you have like 1 minute left on your elemental but the boss is already pulled so you lose out on DPS. If other classes get their raid cooldowns reset I see no reason for our CDs to not reset with them. This isn’t a lay on hands situation. It’s a 5 min cd.

Final Edit: as of 2/17/2023 Fire Elemental now resets with our CD’s. Good job everyone who shared this post, commented here and on Reddit. We did it bois!

250 Likes

Bump so this gets more views, it’s really annoying to have to pick and choose which fights it gets used for. There’s no reason for it to not reset like everything else.

30 Likes

Wait, youre using glyph of fire ele totem? LOL what? Why.

Both enh and ele have better options for glyphs.

2 Likes

Because fire elemental is a 1k DPS increase and if you’re in a raid that clears naxx sub 1:30 without it glyphed you’ll get maybe half the bosses with it. Losing glyph of lava is maybe a 50-70 DPS loss so its worth the trade on halving downtime on your most powerful fire totem.

14 Likes

I guess as ele I get it. Even tho I’m kind of surprised a 90m guild would run an ele

4 Likes

I flex as healer when needed and soak up rotting tokens/mail caster items. Works out fine for us. At 95th percentile and above even ele pumps enough to carry their own weight

3 Likes

The flex is the benefit for sure. Since naxx really needs 2 healers but a third on occasion.

2 Likes

Please make this change!

7 Likes

Jesus guys find another Hobby…

2 Likes

Appreciate the bump thanks

18 Likes

Indeed, it absolutely blows to have to pick and choose which fights I’ll have my full DPS on. I also can’t think of a way that including the Fire Elemental would be damaging to the game if things like Heroism/Lust aren’t.

bump
11 Likes

Sarthe’s 4 hour long enh shaman deep dive video addressed this and they basically said it would be WAY too good if it reset on every boss. So they’d nerf it to compensate which would probably be worse. Not that this stops unholy DKs from doing whatever it is they do.

It’s 800-1300 DPS as of right now, hardly “way too good”.

6 Likes

1k dps is hardly way too good? isn’t that like potentially ~20% of ur damage

4 Likes

No, it is less than that. It averages around 15% extra damage, but that is beside the point because it is already on a 5 minute cooldown, which means it is up for MOST of the bosses already. It is just AWKWARD to use right now because it doesn’t reset like a normal raid cooldown. It makes using the ability a pain to use, but it is still utilized on the vast majority of fights. We’re asking for a simple change to make it less annoying to use and in line with other class cooldowns. Bloodlust is the most powerful cooldown in the game and it is a 5min resetting cooldown (with the 10 min sated falling off upon raid reset). There’s no reason a modest DPS cooldown shouldn’t reset like that.

12 Likes

yeah no it should for sure be reset, but i mean i’d consider 15% a ton from 1 ability that uses 1 gcd

Top Morb DK’s are gaining basically 50% of their damage from their pets. Compared to that our Fire Elemental is quite modest.

12 Likes

Pulling a boss with a 15% damage loss seems very sad. it’s probably an oversight tbh. if the rest of cds reset.

8 Likes

I think they weren’t aware that it is a very important source of damage for shamans, especially elemental shamans. They probably were treating it as a long cooldown like it was in TBC, not something you relied on. It’s definitely an oversight that stems from lack of understanding the breakdown of damage for certain classes and specs.

9 Likes

I hope we can give this issue as much visibility as possible, as it’s contending with an enormous list of bugs and problems currently plaguing the game.

I’m guessing the devs have gone radio silent for a while because they’ve all been diverted to the Dragonflight launch. So I have some cautious optimism that they may return soon and finally address all the problems.

8 Likes