Allied races for worgen and undead: Nelf worgen and San'layn

I feel for the High Elf crowd, I really do. But giving the Alliance, in essence the most played race on the Horde, is just never going to happen.

As for what allied race could be tied to the Worgen, that i’m not sure about. I feel like I got the other 3 locked in but I cant really think of a Worgen one. My pipe dream is that maybe it will be the Sethrak, and it would be a nice connection with the Vulpera, but I can see how this is unlikely.

2 Likes

They should have made it so Deanai players could transform themselves into lightforged.

2 Likes

Horde gets a race with the curse of the Saberon and the San’layn.

Alliance get Botani and Resurrected Stromgarde Humans (by Light or Val’kyr)

Sounds like a topic for another forum. You could make your own you know.

1 Like

This… literally happens in the Druid Class Hall questline. And it’s not a retcon, we just found out how the power of the Scythe could be utilized.

1 Like

At this point, I just want more elves to piss off the people who get mad about more elves.

I do think Nelf Worgen and Belf Forsaken are good ideas, and could come in together if we’re looking to limit ourselves to those two races as basis.

As to the High Elves, I think they’ll be an option realized with the Silvermoon Warfront, hopefully along with the Amani Trolls for the Horde. (Or, maybe, finally the Ogres.)

1 Like

Reason why I oppose to their induction fiercely undervsuch conditions. … They, with no cool undead model, are literally a Blood Death Knight edgelord using red contact lenses to show the World how edgy he/she is. A waste of time and space.

1 Like

I also want to reiterate that I don’t take issue with San’layn’s being playable, I take issue with them joining the Horde officially. Horde and the Alliance should not be recruiting evil races. We have enough dark and edgy characters as it is.

They were also shown turning on the Horde in the Alliance War Campaign.

With the fat humans arrival, they could be used as a template for playable Ogres (specifically the females).

2 Likes

Where? I don’t remember that.

I don’t understand this take. Do you mean you don’t want the ex-Scourge San’layn to join? Would you rather want some faction of Blood Elves to create a new method for becoming undead when they die on the battlefield or something?

2 Likes

I rather we don’t have any more elves, especially ones that are very clearly evil.

Right before the battle with Dreven , he is shown draining and killing a Forsaken with him to empower himself.

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Ending_the_San%27layn_Threat#Notes

1 Like

The particular lines Murdra was referencing:

Blood Prince Dreven says: The trouble with undead has always been the lack of meat on their bones. I had to drain three to match the power from a night elf.
    Blood Prince Dreven says: No matter, I'll simply tell Sylvanas that you killed them... before I killed you!
1 Like

Alright, I’ll bite. If you have a suggestion for something the Forsaken should get then I’m all ears. I’ve laid out the issues with the alternatives in my post so I’m curious to hear what you have in mind.

Either way it’s looking like a “damned if you do, damned if you don’t” situation for Forsaken ARs if we’re going by your logic. Mostly because the Forsaken are all about dark themes.

2 Likes

How do you suppose we’d get playable San’layn otherwise? Sylvanas branches off as a Third Faction?

I don’t think that’s the San’layn turning on the Horde. It’s doing something grossly evil in order to survive the coming encounter because he can get away with it. He’s still aligning with the Horde. He just doesn’t think the footsoldiers are worth more than his life.

Why do the Forsaken need an AR at all? I don’t recall anyone at Blizzard saying point blank that all races would or should be getting an AR variant. We have no reason to believe that every race will get an AR other then the fact that the community says we will (and assuming we’re getting something is not a good idea, just look at the outcry at the “scrapped” Silvermoon Warfront).

But reading through your post again, why do you think San’layn’s are a safe bet here if you are trying to avoid salty threads? Because Horde getting another variation of Blood Elves and the Alliance not getting the High Elves they’ve been clamoring for is a surefire way to create a feces storm.

We don’t. Not on either of the current factions.

To be honest, a playable Black Empire faction would be perfect for the San’layns and all the other evil races people want to play as but that would introduce a whole host of gameplay problems, including the exclusion of like half the current classes.

But on the flip side, this could prompt Blizzard to create new classes exclusive to the Black Empire faction.

Valathen, in my view, the mind control thing isn’t really a real qualm. It seems to me that those dead souls are twisted by their last moments and their experience of the afterlife. Like any trauma, that could seriously change their perspective on life - literally. Since we haven’t gone through it, we can’t imagine it.

So, the only alternative to San’layn that I see is that they use undead Night Elves as an AR. Those raised by Sylvanas in Darkshore and the ruins of Teldrassil. I don’t believe for a second that Sylvanas - whose cited rationale for wanting to raze Stormwind is to resupply the population of her Forsaken - would let pass the opportunity to raise the untold dead from the Burning of the World Tree. If I were to hazard a guess, it’s that the Darkshore questline is the end of her campaign to raise night elves, not the beginning. She saved Delaryn for last. And frankly, I’d love to play as a Night Elf Forsaken. Obviously, those still have the Mind Control and Too Many Elves criticisms. Though, I’d still prefer the Darkfallen.

They don’t. But, that IS the assumption in the Thread we’re currently conversing on. I find it’s generally conducive to the conversation to grant the assumptions necessary to discuss a thing, for the sake of the discussion.

1 Like

This seems like more hassle than its worth. Also, I don’t see why the San’layn are particularly suited to the Black Empire. Just because they’re monstrous and evil? Eh. No reason why Druids or Paladins can’t serve the Black Empire either. They served the Legion.

Murdra, I never said I was against playable High Elves. I stated that I was against raising High Elves as a means to create a Dark Ranger AR.

There, I’ve bolded the part I’m talking about for reading comprehension purposes. This is why I’m finding it increasingly difficult to sympathize with some High Elf supporters…

But returning to your original question about the San’layn I think they are a safe bet because they circumvent the dumb “Free Will vs Mind Control” debate as well as avoid potential Flak from Lor’themar about raising fallen his Blood Elven forces.

The San’layn were originally part of Kael’s expedition to Northrend afterall and Dreven’s proof that at least a number of them have broken away from the Lich King’s mind control. Therefore gaining free will.

Ball’s in your court.

And are San’layn’s really worth the further destruction of what’s left of the Horde’s identity? Because Blizzard’s (and others here) claims that the Horde isn’t evil after Teldrassil will be undermined yet again with the San’layn’s being playable.

That is why I firmly believe that evil races should never be playable. They do not fit in either faction and do not need any more edge lords.

Dreven was quick to turn on his own allies to survive, which makes one beg the question on who else he would sacrifice to save himself.

So now you have an individual, who already made others feel uneasy, proving to be untrustworthy as well. Sylvanas may not care if Dreven killed her own people but would the other leaders of Horde feel the same? (unless Blizzard says they don’t care either)

I’ve said what I wanted to say repeatedly on this topic, so I’m done here. If you want to keep discussing how to further ruin the Horde, go ahead.

Once upon a time the Horde was about taking peoples that others saw as monstrous and defying that perception. Now Blizzard gives people exactly what they expect from evil-looking characters and that dream is dead.

Once upon a time, San’layn would have been a great fit for the Horde.

Into my heart an air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?

That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

5 Likes