Aethas Forgives Jaina for Mass Ethnic Murder

I actually also do not think that Thalyssra is the most powerful of mages.

If I remember correctly, in one of the more recent stories she was a part of some battle on Zandalar, where she opened many portals to get more troops through, this exhausted her. After a short rest, she opened some more portals to bring through some more.

We see mages opening portals casually here and there. of course, Thalyssra opens a number of them, but still. A big question is, where Thalyssra lies in terms of power equal to those Nightborne raid-bosses one fought in the Nighthold. If we are to talk feats.

I don’t really care about like, specific character power levels for the sake of power. That’s weirdo reddit stuff.

I just think that maybe one shouldn’t keep adding ancient magical societies who actually literally not-kidding drink and piss magic to one’s fantasy world and then consistently have them be outclassed by other people because at that point what even is the point of them existing and showing up at all? Why write them? I also think developer statements are not a replacement for actual content and at a certain point you have to stop caring what the Wowhead interview says because it will never matter.

I also think Jaina smells.

10 Likes

She’s older than humanity. And was enough of an upstart that Azshara kept her apprentices on hand, now monstrous sea beasts, seemingly just so she could get a rise out of her on the off chance their paths crossed again.

Kinda feels like if a nobel prize winning theoretical physicist was completely dunked on by an unusually clever fancy rat.

How is that even a situation? This thing has .002% of your natutral lifespan! Madness!

1 Like

It matters when the only other option is contradictory
 as I pointed out with Jaina pursuing the Horde sneak-crew, and Jaina wanting to flee a Sunreaver Mage and two dark rangers (Despite not being outnumbered at all). And it matters when the only other people she is compared to, are not given spotlights throughout the story, or their own cinematic moments to display their actual powers.

Then all we have left, is storyteller comments on the matter.

Human potential!

Anduin will also be a more powerful light-wielder than Velen.

If Anduin isn’t already.

1 Like

I’m just saying if one of these things just busts out and crushes it at Formula One, no one would hear the end of it. Ever. We could be gunning down Tyranids in the 41st millennia and someone would still say;

“Remember when a rat won the Monaco Grand Prix? That was wild”

Meanwhile beings older than some stars who’ve crossed oceans of time and sometimes other, literal stars get dabbed on by adolescent humans and nobody rethinks their entire worldview.

2 Likes

I for one welcome our new rat overlords

1 Like

I wouldn’t worry about it. They kinda just want to vibe. Also contrary to popular belief actually pretty indifferent about cheese. They actually go berserk for berries in my experience.

So ya know. Just play some Lady Gaga and have some raspberries and they’ll be chill about it, I figure.

1 Like

Yes, we’re told that in the past that the various elves are capable of impressive magical feats of strength but rarely is it evident in the present setting.

Instead, we have Thalyssra’s magical capacity capped at opening a portal once in a while, or projecting a barrier for a short period before she tires herself out. The writers would have you believe the arcan’dor restoring the Nightborne’s vitality never happened; frailty is now baked into Thalyssra and the Nightborne’s identity.

What’s worse, you would never know that the Blood Elves currently have a functioning font of arcane power with how much of a non-presence their named mages have.

3 Likes

Rats are quite cute
 yeah.
Good pets, sadly short lived
 but so lovely.

2 Likes

Power level is never something worthy of consideration in this setting, beyond instances of “Human Potential”. Traditionally tho, Horde Races and Individuals will always be outclassed by Alliance racial counterparts. Outside of Shaman’s, who Blizzard seems to have no idea what to do with on a lore level. They’ve lost access to two of their 6 Subdomains (Spirit and Decay), and are vastly outclassed in near every one of the Four Elements by another class; but with far less requirements and restrictions for those. Hell, even Locks get better returns for their investment on making deals with denizens of other planes. Which is why its not shocking that Shaman’s seem to find no real place in a story with Elemental enemies as the foci.

Sigh 
 combine that with Blizz’s relapse on Good Race/Evil Race tropes since Cata (despite still relying the same writing technique they used to humanize the Horde races in WC3, for VERY questionable results) 
 the Horde generally is either a weak, motiveless villain; or an entirely optional sidekick who can only prove they’re “not evil” by how convenient and submissive they are for members of the innately good other faction.

6 Likes

In terms of feats displayed in game, the story is an overall mess when determining characters more powerful.

Like when the Kirin’tor and the Blood Elves stood face to face at the Thunder Isle - Jaina could just as easily just wipe the floor with all of the Blood Elves then and there, no? I mean, she supposedly could
 but did not. She tried to diplomatic? She really couldn’t? Despite the only other mage that could supposedly stand against her was Aethas, but he could not
 so she was afraid of Lor’themar? A ranger? We would never know.

But it is true
 we are told, but as you said, many of the Horde characters are never really given a proper “heroic” spotlight moment, like Varian, Jaina, Tyrande, Malfurion. Thrall used the demon soul for awhile
 awesome. He used an item.

It is indeed underwhelming.

Exactly as Droité points out

It is quite bothersome, how little attention the Horde is given in this department. As someone who does like both factions, have for a very long time. It is
 underwhelming for the story itself, and both Alliance and Horde players can feel it.

The Alliance is standing back after every faction-war arc playing out, the Alliance won, the Alliance is more powerful
 why does the Alliance not just wipe out the Horde? They could.

The Horde is left behind, they are weak, subservient to the Alliance, waiting until the next villain-batting where they are suddenly just as powerful as the Alliance
 despite the major power houses that the Alliance have, compared to what the Horde have
 supposedly.

It just isn’t good
 and it is something that has bothered me for a long time.

My only guess would be, that the Horde DO have characters that could stand a reasonable chance against some of the Alliance’s most powerful characters
 and some of those only being amongst the elves currently. Problem is - they are never really given a true spotlight, like many of the Alliance characters, to show off feats.

Blizzard IS terrible at storytelling.
They are also terrible at using the cast they have.

As a note, the Horde isn’t suddenly as powerful as the Alliance. See, to villain bat the Horde they’ve thus far twice killed of a WC3 legacy leader, and shoehorned a despot into the drivers seat. They then proceed to shut anyone up who should have a problem with this, or that despot’s acts, until its convenient for the content that despot is creating for them to have an opinion. By that point it normally results in further Horde Character deaths, and the remainder are marred by inaction or complacency under the rule of that despot. Sylvie and Garrosh are the same in this regards. Protected by overwhelming plot-convenience.

However, Blizz also despises putting any work into the Horde in between those bouts of villain batting and plot devicing. This includes luxuries like “means, motives, and opportunity”. So if motives is covered with the shoehorned despite, means and opportunity is taken care of through ONE awful shock factor act. For Cata, this was Thal’darah Grove. For MoP, this was Theramore. For BfA, it was Teld. A major event to justify continuation of the conflict, but “gimmicked” in such a way that the Horde will then proceed to lose every engagement from that point on. And this is because the Horde was barely settup to barely succeed in that one atrocity, to fulfill their plot device role. Not actually to be a threat in a prolonged conflict, no matter how much Blizz tries to hide it.

On paper the Alliance towers over the Horde in military, resources, and individual strength. But because they’re “the good guys” who can ONLY ever be reactive entities, it has to be the Horde who always starts it.

6 Likes

I mean, not even on paper.

If this was true, the Alliance would not be lacking the strength to take Orgrimmar when the Horde was splintered between Sylvanas and Saurfang.

Unless the Horde, despite their miniscule numbers comparatively to the Alliance, managed to just bite a huge chunk of the Alliance, and were better at doing it than the Alliance were to the Horde.

And it was outright stated that the Alliance could not take Orgrimmar alone, they did not have enough troops.

And this despite still having Jaina, Tyrande, and Malfurion.

But yeah, it is true that this could be called

The more I think back to BFA, the more I wish to just forget it as it had never happened like with the Shadowlands.

Blizzard should NEVER attempt another faction war story.

Sigh 
 the traditional excuse Blizz normally operates off of is that the Alliance’s losses are just “more” when it comes to these inter factional conflicts. Only enhanced by the Alliance being deeply restricted by some artificial purity test Blizz seems desperate to maintain. Its why both the Garrosh Conflict and the BfA conflict were proceeded by repeated acts of almost exclusively Alliance aggression; but all of it whitewashed so much the Horde can’t even be allowed to react to it. And normally contingent on the Alliance falsely blaming the Horde for a tragedy that resulted in losses on both sides.

Truth is, Blizz seems VERY uncomfortable committing to showing the Alliance in an aggressive or antagonistic light since Cata. Despite drowning in reasons to take that role. While clearly being far too comfortable forcing the Horde to be the aggressors and antagonists, despite being allowed fewer and fewer narrative “luxuries” like: Means, Motives, or Opportunities since Cata. Its Good Race/Bad Race writing at its laziest. No matter how deeply questionable that is with how Blizz chose to break those very same tropes between WC3-WotLK. Methods they still use today outside the Meta Narrative btw.

9 Likes

Good it was his fault in the first place for not dealing with his Sunreavers in the first place. His people betrayed Dalaran, thrice.

1 Like

He couldn’t the first time.
The guy was also appointed by Rhonin, btw.

The second guy
 I still find the idea that Aethas would heed the warnings of Garrosh’ underlings laughable.

“We will travel years across the ocean to destroy the Blood Elves while we are also at war with the Alliance if you tell Jaina anything about our plans.”

So stupid.

But it is as Droité points out

They are making light of some of the Alliance’s more antagonistic acts.

The purge of Dalaran included.

Did you know that the Silver Covenant also slaughtered entirely unaffiliated Blood Elves? For the mere reason that they just didn’t stand WITH the Covenant? They were just staying out of the entire conflict
 and was killed for it.

Most of the Sunreavers knew absolutely nothing of what went on. The two traitors acted on their own
 it was never Sunreaver operations. That is quite antagonistic of Jaina and the Silver Covenant, but it is played down
 very hard.

I also personally sympathise with Garrosh’ and Sylvanas’ war up to a certain points. Garrosh HAD TO declare war in order to save the orcs, since he was given no other option by the Alliance.

Sylvanas’ made some decent points in the story ‘A Good War’.

The problem is that the wars continued after major atrocities - where, realistically, the other races would have started realising that their leader have already gone too far. It would not have been the first time for the Blood Elves, they should have been able to see it quickly.

Much of it just does not make sense.

7 Likes

No, Sonweaver was recommended by Aethas.

Both are bull. The Alliance at both times when the war started didn’t care about the Horde for the most part. The Alliance was generally busy dealing with their own problems. The Horde was the AGGRESSOR on both counts.

Oh I am quite aware there were those who went over board. Having said that it was mostly the high elves and suffice to say I think they were never particularly happy about their banishment from Silvermoon and possibly saw it as payback.

Either the Horde admits their fault in all of this and actually make amends or we will just end with a Fifth War sooner or later.

It was never intended to, beyond merely facilitating setting up future story/content. While to varying degrees this is true for the Alliance as well, Blizz isn’t exactly subtle about how much the Horde has been rendered little more than a Plot-Device since Cata. Used by the story regardless of its own characterization needs, then discarded and forgotten when not being used. Honestly, Baine perfectly embodies that.

The Horde hasn’t been written like a Faction in ages, with less and less work put into “justify” or “explain” anything it has been tasked to do. Or even how it was supposed to do those tasks. Its just cuz. On the flip side of this, since Cata, Blizz has this tendency of burying the Alliance under so many justifications for their few grey acts they’re allowed; that even their victims aren’t allowed to react negatively to them.

Frankly, there is a reason that Taurajo is framed narratively far more as a “Valid Military Target”; despite also being a tragedy. While Theramore is framed far more as a tragedy; while it was arguably a far more valid military target than Taraujo by the point of its bombing. And you’re right, Blizz has spent years walking back and whitewashing the Purge of Dalaran. Especially Vareesa and the Silver Covenant’s participation in it.

Because you are absolutely right, it was a tiny fringe group of Sunreavers that took it upon themselves to steal the bell. That the vast majority of the Sunreaver population in Dalaran didn’t know about that event. And that Aethas did not find out about the theft until moments after it was too late to stop it; and then had a horrific choice forced upon him. Subject his people to the wrath of literal Orc Hitler, or Jaina. He chose Jaina, likely because he felt she was the lesser of two evils after it was HIS vote that broke the tie and committed Dalaran to aiding Theramore. But 
 thanks to a very convenient bug the part of the Purge scenario where Aethas discovered the theft moments too late was not included in the game
 Because why would we want nuance?

3 Likes

No, he was recommended by both Aethas and Rhonin.

Aggressors on both counts.

But Garrosh was forced to fight because the orcs was on the brink of famine when the shattering began as a result of the Night Elves’ refusal to continue trade. Negotiations were attempted, and ended in the Twillight’s Hammer killing the negotiating druids while wearing Horde tabards, which shifted the blame on Garrosh.

Again going back to the problem: “My people are starving
 we can not get any food through trade either
 better to go back to my original train of thought then, we take what we want.” which is what Garrosh does.

I do not blame Garrosh. I do blame him for going too far beyond that though.

Genn Greymane also helped prove Sylvanas’ point previously. He would stop at nothing to attack the Horde, despite orders from his king.

The only time peace could truly be achieved for the Horde, is if the peace came with the Horde on top. But Sylvanas too eventually went too far.

This is still the part I find laughable though. Even if that scene had been in the game, I do not see reason as to why Aethas should take it seriously. What could Garrosh realistically do? Sail for years to reach Quel’thalas and try and stomp the Blood Elves? If anything, Aethas should have straight up laughed in the orc’s face and just walk back and report to Jaina.

Garrosh had no power here
 nothing he could do against the Blood Elves in Silvermoon.

The entire Purge of Dalaran is better left with Aethas genuinely not knowing what the hell happened.

There is no lore stating it was Rhonin who recommended him. It was Aethas who recommended him. Rhonin simple agreed to it.

Which can be blamed on Thrall. Had he actually investigated and promised to give any Horde member to Alliance justice(just like he did with Sira) then they could have probably found out it was a Twilight Hammer plot.

This logic will always fall apart. Garrosh could have spent his war resources trying to feed his people. Maybe instead of trying to deforest Ashenvale he could have have focused his explotation of nature on his allies lands. Pretty sure the blood elves have a lovely forest he could destroy.

Regardless of his reason, he and the Horde were no better then thieves.

And Genn prove his point that Sylvanas was plotting something horrible. Ultimately, Genn helped us stop or at least slow down Sylvanas plans of helping the Jailer. If you want to blame someone for that, blame the Horde.

1 Like