Addons seriously

My head hurts.

giggle

You think so? Go check out will it classic and see how many WONDERFUL addons we already have working for classic.

There is nothing wrong with addons. And trying to force blizzard to create a way to give them to you is. . well… its just silly.

You are welcome to use them or not. But please don’t complain.

Forced, as in an addon developer kicks your door down and holds a gun to your head until you download and install his addon?
Or forced as in you have no argument to be made so just leaned entirely on hyperbole?
No need to answer by the way.

1 Like

There was one time I was forced to download an addon or get kicked out of the mythic raiding group.

Yeah I can see you being ‘that guy’. They were probably disappointed they didn’t get to boot ya afterall. Do everyone a favor, just stop playing. No one wants you around.

1 Like

Actually there are no addons that alter any game code in any way. They are all “cosmetic” changes. They underlying game is not changed at all. And for Bliz to maintain a DB for the thousands of addons would be cost prohibitive. And there is not any addon that is required to play the game.

No actually I was top heals and they wanted me to prepot with the timer for shockadin dps. So I had to use an addon so I could see the timer.

Plenty of people don’t mind me not everyone is hateful and closed minded.

I actually got a headache trying to understand this

1 Like

When its used as a flimsy justification for banning all addons.

You’re not the only one. Luckily some of us have seen it before and were prepared.

1 Like

How the ever-loving fel fire is Twitch a “questionable third party?”

1 Like

Didn’t Blizzard at one point say no one can charge for addons or put in-game directions to donate or pay for the addon? How did Curse manage to get past this?

They did. Curse runs ads on their website and client, and does a revenue split with addon authors. The idea is that hosting your addons drives traffic to Curse, which drives up their ad income, so they give authors a bit of it to incentivize them to continue sending traffic to them. I think the exact split is based on your addon’s install base through the client.

The end user never pays for the addon. They can pay for a premium client subscription, which gets you priority bandwidth on patch days, one-click updating, no ads, and that sort of thing, but you’re very solidly in paying-for-service territory then, and there are still fully functional free methods to get the same addons. I think what Blizzard mostly wanted to avoid was an environment where some players could gain an advantage over others by purchasing some addon, and they didn’t want the in-game experience turning into an advertising slum.
pretty quesitonable to me

|Is there any money to be made writing WoW addons? My impression was that most people were doing it out of love and begging for donations just to cover bandwidth costs

There’s good money to be made, yes. Like the app store or Facebook games or whatnot, the best benefits are realized if you’re a top-tier developer, but Curse runs a revenue-share program with addon authors. Donations don’t cover much, generally, but Curse’s payouts cover about half of my rent. I use the platform because they provide git repos, automatic release management, and issue tracking, but I’m certainly not going to complain about the revenue share. :slight_smile:

I write addons because I enjoy writing them, and because they scratch itches I want scratched. I’ve never sat down and written an addon with financial incentives in mind, but the resultant income is a very nice bonus.

I know a few guys like the QuestHelper guy were making extremely good money off of addons - enough to be a full-time job - but it’s very hard to build a career on that; Blizzard can kill that income stream even more easily than Apple can with an app store app, because they continually fold the popular stuff into the base UI. If your massively popular addon has its concept shipped in the base UI, your installed base drops precipitously, and the income stream dries up.

Ok, how exactly is any of this questionable?

Like, you just described how a website runs on advertising and premium subscriptions in order to compensate people for their work in writing addons…while still providing those addons for free. That seems totally fine for everybody involved.

which doesn’t exist because they’re all free, so we’re fine there

which it hasn’t, seeing as the twitch/curse website isn’t in-game.

1 Like

Curse doesn’t charge for addons. Curse doesn’t charge for anything because it doesn’t exist any more.

Twitch doesn’t charge for addons either. I didn’t realise there was a payment aspect to Twitch until long after I’d moved my addon delivery over.

That’s not charging a player.

Correct.

You’re paying for the delivery service, and are free to get the addon from any other source or wait, if you don’t want to pay. The fact that they made a very easy service doesn’t make them a pay-for-addon site.

You keep saying this like it matters. Your whole shtick of “Addons are cheating/wrong/questionable” is nonsense.

So my options are to deal with twitches bloated ad app or risk the chance of getting ransom ware from other websites.

All in order to receive developments for WoW that should be available from the game developers themselves.

or…

and I know this is tough…

Don’t use Addons yourself?

You hate addons. We get that. You don’t have to use them, so don’t. Live free and ‘untainted’ by UI improvements and Boss timers.

You are your own person, man up and choose your own path.

Not at all, you are free to create your own addons. You can even keep them to yourself thus avoiding all those pesky sites.

or *play handicapped because people are playing a different version of WoW that gives them advantages.

@Fizzlemizz at that point you arn’t playing WoW you are playing WoW developer.

All addons should be brought to light and visible to everyone via blizzards own website.

Blizzard doesn’t write addons and are not responsible for the content. You’re back to speaking absurdities again.

1 Like

Im saying blizzard should be responsible for the content.

And saying it, doesn’t make it any less impossible or absurd.

You could say the sun should be blue and it would be as valid.