Add to the Horde Council

Why? Did you never read what X people had to say to you? Defending your people is not the same as “Wargh kill them all, attack”.

Or did you simply read this again as the same thing? And the Taurajo comment is really horrible from a faction leader. Not a single leader would ever make a comment like that and stay in power. It’s also more about the writing at the end.

Sadly not yes. I simply was confused from your take on Carine, that I can’t follow compared to Baine. Don’t worry, I won’t it escalate further here.

1 Like

The only difference between Baine’s Taurajo and Cairne’s Stonespire is that the first actually was a Valid Military Target (and Baine admitted it), and the latter was just a massacre by a bunch of loot obsessed Dwarves. Baine did respond to it with building the Gate, and followed the wills of the majority of his people to not use it as an excuse to escalate. Cairne … didn’t really do anything to address that Dwarven Mess.

It doesn’t matter how many baseless arguments you make about how “more Tauren died because of Baine’s choices, over the alternatives” … you have no evidence of that. And in fact, most things would suggest otherwise.

3 Likes

Look, it’s strange to write such thing if you simply ignore everything. Even the defense of the Great Wall doesn’t hold up. The Alliance steamrolled in.

This is important. Who ever doesn’t see the problem here will perhaps never understand what’s the problem with his writing. But enough from that.

I honestly think that the story forgetting about Taurajo altogether would have been better than Baine calling it a legitimate military target, whether or not it’s true. The former would either just be lost in one of WoW’s many dropped story moments or you could at least settle with the shoddy in-game conclusion to it. The latter is just a net negative to his appeal for no good reason at all.

3 Likes

People still be arguing about Taurajo in 2020.

3 Likes

If you think it’s only about Taurajo, you didn’t pay attention.

But then again point to one faction leader calling the murder of their people legitimate. It’s a deeper problem with Baine’s writing which prevails until to this day.

Then if there was an actual threat to the Great Gate Baine would have to act, but even within Cata and MoP there was never any such risk. In fact, its very hard to say difinitively that there was even an attempt by the Alliance to invade Mulgore at all … since we know for certain that the attack on Taurajo at least was not a precursor to that. Taurajo was an extension of the Alliance’s activities in Stonetalon. Since you lack that difinitive risk to those behind the Great Gate of Mulgore, you lack much weight behind your argument.

And on both an ideological and even tactically standpoint, unless the Alliance absolutely had to, ThunderBluff remains the single largest logistical nightmare to for invasion out of any Horde capital. Even IF they managed to breach that natural bottleneck into the region that Gate was built in. But there never was given sufficient reason for such an attack.

3 Likes

It was under attack and many Tauren died duding the Alliance invasion.

Which invasion? Which deaths? You mean those who deliberately decided to be outside of the wall? On their own volition? Because those that were at Vendetta point were there voluntarily. You have no evidence for your assumption that Baine’s decision to listen to the majority opinion and not sent the Tauren nation to war resulted in more casualties than if the alternative. You literally cannot.

2 Likes

Sounds like you need to play this whole thing again. No they weren’t outside of the wall and not because they were nice about anything.

The Alliance pushed a second offensive…

Where? When? Based off everything I’ve seen the consistent theme of Alliance activity in Southern Barrens was “To create and maintain overland supply routes between Theramore, Northwatch, and Stonetalon”. Of which Taurajo was seen as a risk to. Everything else beyond conscript forces going rogue was in service of reinforcing that supply route. There was never really a serious attempt to take Mulgore, because there was no reason to at any point during Cata or MoP.

1 Like

The Attack on the great gate…
And the following battles in the Barrens.

As much as I love your gusto, weren’t San’layn a one off thing with Syl IE recruiting one of the few blood princes still remaining, or are you suggesting we dig up Kaels body and turn him?

Also Wrathion would never be horde, he loves Anduin too much and thus would receive the same if not more flak then Baine.

The argument is literally based entirely on that one quote of Baine citing Taurajo as a “legitimate millitary target”.

I’m paying attention, jack, I’m just very surprised folks are still arguing about this 10 years later.

6 Likes

Certain horde players memories are long. . . Me personally I had forgotten about turaujo until the forums started citing it in reference to Baine being unsalvageable.

I don’t care for Baine because 95% of the time he’s been involved, he was pushing for a peaceful, nonviolent solution to things. Which isn’t inherently bad, but he’s by far the most prominent Tauren character in the game and makes Tauren as a whole seem so dreadfully one note, especially when you look at what we could have had with him.

https://youtu.be/xGdJ6CQu_k4?t=1885

If that whole sequence had been in the game and not cut from Cataclysm, I think people would have a very different opinion of Baine as a character.

You would think, but they always seem to forget the fact that

1. It’s a known fact that it was as a huge mistake that the Alliances’ part due to false intel that the Tauren were readying to attack them, which they pay for with the death of their commander.

2. Taurajo is both in game and in lore a small hunting village, not a bustling city or a very important location. It’s bad that it happened, but to put it bluntly, it’s really not that big of a deal in the scope of the overall story. The framing of it doesn’t present it as nor do the characters involved.

3. It’s specifically stated that, despite it all, the Alliance intentionally left its lines open to allow the civilians to flee and had specifically prohibited the killing of non-combatants.

So for all intents and purposes, it’s really never been that big of a loss. The casualties were minimal, the vast majority of the perpetrators were appropriately punished, and both parties have since acknowledged that it was a mistake on the Alliances’ part. Like, what else does there need to be about it several years later since it happened?

6 Likes

If I remember correctly though the paths they left open for civilians where directly into Quilboar territories so they died regardless, I mean still was rather brutal and idiotic on the alliance’s part since they had such crappy Intel apparently.

2 Likes

But again though, the Horde responded to them appropriately slaying the remaining forces and assassinating the general who orchestrated the attack, and then of course the events of ToW.

Like, every single Alliance element related to the to event has since been punished appropriately; their general slain, their forces largely slain and/or routed, and their connection to that part of the continent severed. Yet people still seem hung up over it enough to bring it up as justification for the Horde constantly “retaliating” beyond that.

A thing like that only works as reasonable justification for so long until it becomes incredibly minuscule in wake of crimes the Horde goes on to commit afterwards while hollering “For Taurajo” as an excuse to go eat children and pin their victims’ bodies with spears along the walls of their homes for all to see.

3 Likes

Nazgrel for High Overlord imo.