Acti pulls their games from Geforce Now

Yup, they can do what they want, as will I.

What’s the impact of Blizz pulling from GEFORCE? Would I lose video recording while playing WoW on GE Force?

Who knows, it’s hard to predict the future, but it sure is impossible to stop the future.

And yet you replied…

3 Likes

Maybe Acti-Blizz has their own cloud service coming down the pipeline and doesn’t want competition.

2 Likes

In defense of OP here. The service was great for those who don’t have an amazing computer to run the games on. It opened it up to a bigger audience to let those who can’t get a high end PC to play their games.

4 Likes

With game mechanics and graphics becoming more and more realistic, it’s becoming harder for the average player to keep up with the hardware demands in order to play these games. So to be honest, streaming game services are going to be more and more of a thing. It will most likely be the only real way VR becoming more main stream.

2 Likes

I am by no means an authority on these newfangled streaming systems… but thinking logically the only reason to limit or remove accessibility to your product is if that accessibility jeopardizes the product in some way.

Either the way it works puts the game service in danger (perhaps the detection of exploits, cheats, or bots.), or it puts the user in danger (unable to guarantee security of personal information when routed through the streaming service).

That’s my guess, because considering all the money grabbing decisions that seem to be in place lately, removing another source of potential income doesn’t make sense to me unless the risks outweigh the rewards.

5 Likes

I’m going to say we will need some serious infrastructure upgrades before VR becomes viable over streaming internet. VR requires a lot of power, and a lot of bandwidth be moved VERY quickly to the HMD. More than a couple ms lag starts to induce simulator sickness.

1 Like

Why I used it has no bearing on the discussion.

I don’t know anything about the technical side of things, but if Geforce NOW made it hard to detect wether the player is cheating/exploiting or not, I can understand their move.

1 Like

Twitch has it as a built in. Just get the Twitch Desktop app, which also has Addon support so it’s a double win.

1 Like

It is coming faster than you think. 5g networking is seriously much faster than what we currently have and can push more data. It’s one of the technologies that’s going to help faster A.I. decision making for self driving cars.

1 Like

On the positive side, the Geforce Now founders offer is less than half the price of a WoW sub so I’m hoping to discover some new games to enjoy. Maybe make a dent in my list of Steam games with 0 hours played…

1 Like

Umm, sorry I don’t resonate and i don’t think most people do.

This is an “I don’t care” thread lol

1 Like

I’m a technical IT guy that is also a VR enthusiast. 5G isn’t going to cut it with it’s current published specs, and the mobile companies aren’t even going to give us those published speeds anyway. I’m super serious on that ms issue. We can’t even make our HMD’s wireless right now without introducing to much local lag. Certain peripherals also cause to much local lag.

Don’t get me wrong, improvements ARE being made, but streaming VR? We aren’t even close. If you want wireless streaming for VR, I’d peg it for 7g, maybe.

2 Likes

For the love of god just use Parsec Gaming.

EDIT: OK, I see what is going on. They don’t want you to use any cloud gaming service. Your account can be banned if you install and play from a cloud machine. Yeah, I don’t know why they made that change in the EULA. /shrug But at least with parsec you can install on your machine and play it from any computer and you’ll be safe. But I guess if you don’t have a PC this is a problem.

2 Likes

No. It was just the “GeForce Now” option. What that does is allow you to stream games you already own to your devices. Say you don’t have a great computer, but want to play Destiny 2. You have already purchased Destiny 2, but when you try to play it, it runs horribly. With GeForce Now, Nvidia runs the game on their cloud servers and streams it to you, like a Google Stadia game. Because it is being rendered on a more powerful computer, it looks and (hopefully) runs better on the computer or device you’re playing it on.

It does require a good internet connection to work properly, but it is an option for many games that otherwise might be out of reach for certain people.

The main thing is that you must already own the game to use the service, so Acti-Blizz removing their games as options seems strange to me. It’s like Bobby Kotick is sitting there fuming that he can’t make more money from this.

2 Likes

Actually it wasn’t, it was a way to get around bot detection AFAIK. That alone gives cause to block it. Blizz depends on being able to see the way the player interacts with the system to determine if you’re a bot or not. If they can’t do that (and they can’t with Geforce Now) then it’s a bannable offence just like it says in the EULA:

4 Likes

Ooh, that’s nice to know. I didnt know there such an option.

My old pc is barely breathing on new games but it still runs them ok.