About the LGBT thread

That’s not what I meant.

Real life would go like “Hey are you gay?” “Yup” “Cool”

A reader say for a book can’t directly ask a question to a character. It’s up to the author to let you know. Hence why some of my fav content creators basically go “okay this character is seriously whatever you want them to be just go nuts”

1 Like

NPC =/= playable characters. You can make your playable character anything you want.

2 Likes

Truuuuue but I hope my point was made. Non lgbt freak out really hard about this stuff which is silly because they forced a lot of their media onto us not giving a dang how we felt.

2 Likes

…Did you just quote a steamy romance novel as an example of LGBT representation?

4 Likes

My point is that if some character in WoW turns out to be lgbt I’d put money on 99% of the playerbase not caring. But when you reveal a playable character people have already invested themselves in to be lgbt its going to rustle some jimmies.

1 Like

Yes, they only released one that expansion. I collected them. Do you take issue with how I enjoy the game?

Anyway, there are several other examples in game which include idle text that you can read. You just don’t want to actually read or explore to see it. Its sad. You want a cheesed over version that is front and center which is in itself a caricature. It will be forced, and it will be terrible writing.

4 Likes

I was not aware that there is media that is only for straight people, do tell.

1 Like

As I said in the other thread of it’s to change an already established story arc no . If it’s to just have a token lgbtq chr to check a box no . If they want to introduce new chrs and the story line fits and its organic sure . It doesnt have to specific stated like any relationship arc in wow already. That is what people fail to grasp and a concept seems to escape people. Honestly lgbtq people are people too and have the same rights as anyone else. Honestly I blame religion which made it seem morally wrong . While in nature it may take a Male and female to make offspring the paternal act in raising a child chemically in your brain releases the same amount of oxytocin regardless of gender.

Tldr if its forced no. If its organic and fits within established relationship story arcs in wow sure absolutely.

M8 Anduin and wrathion are the most natural and fluid couple yet it wont ever be canon because of the US homophobes as well as Russia/China

What are you doing OP? It’s not Sunday anymore.

1 Like

I meant stuff like how in a seriously way too big number for me to do the proper math there wasn’t a blip of lgbt at all.

Growing up I didn’t even know gay people were a thing until my Mom was watching The Birdcage. Kids media is also only just recently pointing out lgbt exist.

As much as this show gets on my nerves sometimes, they had their good moments like this

2 Likes

That’s an extremely biased way of phrasing what I actually want, which is for the double standard to end. Don’t patronize me by talking down to me for not being happy with our current references being more or less invisible as if that makes me a peasant.

It’s simple yo. If the double standard has no good reason to exist, I want it to end. Is that so unreasonable? Sure I’d love it to be well written, but if badly written romances aren’t an excuse to keep straight stuff out of the game it shouldn’t be an excuse here.

Also, it’s hurting my head that you linked a Steamy Romance Novel as an example of LGBT representation. I’m not judging you for collecting them. It’s more the fact that that’s a novel depicting a parody of erotic fiction, not a character. I just…

5 Likes

You were stating that if the characters were LGBT, then people would have been up in arms. My point was that they would not have been; and, that in order to make that happen in a zone story intertwined with Malfurion and Tyrande (which it was), they would have had to make significant changes to the lore; and that these changes would have been the source of frustration, NOT the fact that LGBT characters made their way into the game.

You argument was nitpicked. Your argument was countered, using the example you provided.

Please provide examples.

First, because the forums are a reactionary place. See the daily “nerf Demon Hunters” thread.

Second, because people don’t really care. They really don’t. They may comment on it, but there isn’t a significant portion of the player-base losing sleep over the presence of LGBT characters in their game.

What they DO get frustrated with, and have increasingly done so over the past few years, is the use of sociopolitical stances as “sword” and “shield” by game companies. These issues have been weaponized by companies, including Blizzard.

So when you see people say “keep politics out of games”, that’s not code for “we don’t like the gays”… it’s code for “no, seriously, stop with the politics and games”.

I wouldn’t have an issue with this, as long as the romance was organic to the plot and setting of game, was given appropriate time and importance, and wasn’t used as a PR move by the company.

Which, by the way, is also what I’d like from every other plot point in the game, straight or otherwise.

Truth.

According to Twitter, the cinema press, and the film company… yes.

3 Likes

That is not how hypocrisy works…

If you’re writing a character and the first thing you consider about your character is their romantic preference then it’s a very shallow and poor character.

These kind of representation demands just reek of narcissism all the time.

7 Likes

Take your political demands elsewhere and keep them out of games period! We are here to play and have a good time not to engage which political correct topic to discuss next. Nobody cares what your sexuality is!

6 Likes

There is no double standard, though. Most NPCs don’t even have any kind of romance at all. If 95% of the population is heterosexual and there are only 7 world leaders in this game, probability is against them being LGBTQ. That is simple stats and realistic. You can’t get around basic facts.

I understand that you would like a main character that looks like you. I would also. But I don’t want to force Blizzard to warp existing characters or just make one up to fit my ethnicity. That always ends badly, and it frankly challenges the integrity of your request.

They took enough time to put LGBTQ characters in the game when they didn’t have to. They specifically stated in their lore building (that is what a steamy romance is) that a named NPC is LGBTQ, and it’s still not enough for you. You take it as an insult. I kept that book because I thought it was interesting that Blizzard was that progressive at the time.

8 Likes

Being straight gay transgender bi or pan etc is not political its biology

3 Likes

I beg to differ. A lot of the time when you make a character you think up the easier choices first before going into their head and writing them.

3 Likes

This is how we end up with Sylvannas soloing the Lich King. She needs to do A, so she must accomplish B even though it makes no logical sense to the plot. That is why so many people loveeeddd the Shadowlands trailer. :unamused:

1 Like