About the flagging system

If a person/group is trolling for trolling sake in order to ruin someone else’s day because they have low self esteem then they should grow up. That kind of behavior is juvenile and if their parents didn’t raise them to respect others properly there should be ways to correct them in a public forum.

1 Like

Yes apparently having an opinion is classed as trolling in the forums now. Ive had 2 posts flagged now that were not derogatory or demeaning to anyone yet were flagged due to a difference of opinion lol. Go automated forum police!

1 Like

The problems that this ‘solution’ would raise are obvious and disconcerting.
For instance, the ingame stalking would be horrific, if this was implemented.
Snuggles back into the comfy chair

It’s easy to report someone…period, dear.
Please do not fall into the mindset of ‘presumed guilt’; this isn’t Russia.
Sips a cup of hot cocoa, with a teeny tiny marshmallow in the exact center.

How would knowing someone’s Battletag (sans numbers) lead to more stalking than knowing their character’s name and realm?

People found to be abusing the flagging system can be banned from the forums.

2 Likes

I don’t think you can know unless mods delete it or you get sanctioned.

1 Like

Flagged for trolling…

I hate the new flagging system. Easy way for people to troll harder than they used to, or if they disagree with it, they just flag it and most likely will get deleted.

But why does it matter if they break the rules? Do you really need to police other people? Let them have their own opinions, let them swear if they want. Let Blizzard moderate their own forums.

I mean the stuff I report breaks the rules. This isn’t a court of law, so there’s nothing about innocent until proven guilty.

1 Like

It’s not really spam if it’s the 2nd thread made o. This topic in like ever.

1 Like

You can already easily stalk someone now if you wanted. Server name shows up when you reply. Btag without the number attached is just any other name. I get where you’re coming from though. I just feel that unless something changes we’ll be forced into using btag if we want to post on the forums

Cool, Thanks!

I don’t follow… if they didn’t remove or lock it, they didn’t agree with what? My post was hidden, reviewed, and allowed to stay posted. I’m not complaining about my post being hidden… I’m not gonna bother with the rest of your comment, since it’s clear you either haven’t been following or aren’t comprehending what I’m saying. Either way, it’s not worth arguing with you or explaining it… again.

agreed.

This is a fair-ish question. However, keep in mind that there are some things that just plain shouldn’t be on the forum. Racism, sexism- really, bigotry of any kind just doesn’t need to be here, in my opinion. But Kirela’s question, that you were responding to, failed to understand the point of my OP, which was not about fair or “necessary” flagging, but the flagging by people who are just mad at the content of the post or just to flag posts by someone they don’t like or flagging posts they simply don’t agree with.

you’re*. Also your post is just ignorant. But your opinion is noted… somewhere… by someone.

I’m not sure if this question is meant as “they do it because?” as a real answer to my OP, or if it’s a sarcastic answer, but either way it just doesn’t make any sense as a response to the issue I raised. My point isn’t (and it’s stated fairly clearly) “people are flagging posts and they shouldn’t be allowed to!”, it’s that people are flagging posts as a means of just to troll, or to retaliate against someone they don’t like, or just to hide a topic they don’t like or agree with. Flagging, as stated above, is a good tool for content that has no place here. Abusing the system, as I stated in the OP, just has no place here. Period.

This. This guy gets it! I’m not assuming your gender- your avatar is a male, so I’m referring to you as such. If that’s offensive, please feel free to flag this comment as offensive :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

What solution?

Who are you talking to? If you want to reply directly to someone’s comment, highlight their text and click “quote”. It makes it much easier to understand who you’re talking to. Dear.

You’ll get a notification stating that your post was hidden pending review, just like you get notifications that there are responses/likes on your post.

Well played.

Not always. This post was flagged and hidden pending review. It was reviewed and un-hidden with no further action taken. I can only hope that whomever reviewed it is doing most of the flagged post reviewing- bless their poor soul.

Again, not sure who you’re responding to, here. Highlight their comment (either all of it, or the part you’re referring to) and click ‘quote’, it’ll open a box at the bottom and you can type your response below that. I’m not trying to dumb it down for you, or anyone else, but I didn’t know this was a feature until recently. It’s quite handy!

Fair point. And I’m happy there are folks that are using the system correctly. As I said a handful of quotes above, there are posts/comments that definitely deserve it. I have no issue with the system, I only take issue with those abusing it. I’m not saying you are or aren’t, just those who do.

Or you can click their avatar and it’ll show you what server they’re on. I suppose that’s why some people only post on the forum on a low level alt they never play. I, personally, feel that’s a cheap way out of taking responsibility on some level, so I always try to post on the toon I’m playing most at the time.

To whom, for what?

In a perfect world, I’m afraid.

Blizzard is cutting corners to save the bottom line. That includes indirect labor such as moderators. Now, the flagging system is there to kind of “auto-moderate” however, it doesn’t work as hoped. Angry people and cliques can get people silenced or banned simply for disagreeing. It also promotes the “licensed trolls” (the ones who frequently violate the code of conduct without ever being infracted, regardless of how many times you report them).

I enjoy discussions and when a thread is full of drivel or insults that you have to sift through to get to the meat and potatoes, it’s cumbersome.

1 Like

See, the problem with this is that “trolling” is such a subjective thing, a term so thoroughly abused that it basically doesn’t mean anything. It can mean a guy who shows up to do nothing but make you mad. It can also unfortunately mean a guy who made you mad because they simply said a defensible thing you disagree with.

“Trolling” means nothing. People who throw around accusations of trolling are themselves the worst trolls of all.

So, no, people should NOT be punished for marking a post as trolling. It’s a word that cannot be accurately defined and thus a set of behaviors that you can never know if you’re reporting correctly or not.

Simply put, there should be no mod censorship. We should be given a downvote and allowed to self-curate as we see fit as a community. Unpopular opinions will ALWAYS be shouted down no matter what system we have in place so do spare me hours of meowing about “slippery slopes”. This is social media, not real life. If you expected a good conversation here YOU are the problem.

But see, all of this, whether you agree with my ideas or not, assumes that this forum is about discourse. It’s not. It’s about marketing. That’s why rules like this exist; so Blizzard has a convenient shield behind which to hide when they delete posts that say something negative about the product. Product forums aren’t for you, they’re for the producer.

Where does it say that in the rules?

As far as I am aware, it is only against the rules to discuss individual cases of disciplinary action. I cannot recall seeing anything that says we can’t discuss the system in general.

1 Like

That was a reply to someone else.

1 Like

It is punishable. If you mass flag abuse, you get suspended. We’ve had a few people come whining about it on the Customer Support forum.