A Slew of Problems in War Mode

Hello again, War Mode forums! I wanted to make a thread today about some of the problems in War Mode, and what could be fixed as we’re going into Shadowlands. Lately, I’ve encountered a lot of these problems in War Mode and just felt the need to address them.

Minor Problems:

1. Net-o-Matic doesn’t affect druids in Flight Form.

Sort of. I mentioned this in a past thread of mine last year actually, titled Flight Form vs Net-o-Matic [Bug] .

To go a bit more in depth about this, which I’ll show with some screenshots in just a second, when a druid is in Flight Form in the air, you can net them just fine. If they’re in Flight Form touching the ground, you’ll be met with a “Invalid Target” error and can’t even cast the Net-o-Matic. If they’re in the air and you’re casting it on them, and they touch the ground while you’re casting it, the net will go off but have no effect.
Successful cast :white_check_mark:
https://i.imgur.com/pEiUCpc.jpg

Unsuccessful cast :x:
https://i.imgur.com/ikup2Ry.jpg

The first screenshot is the Net-o-Matic working successfully, while the second screenshot is the Net-o-Matic cast going off, but working unsuccessfully as they touch the ground. One of the few problems to fix for War Mode in the upcoming expansion.

1. Darkmoon Faire Faction-Tagging.

Faction tagging. We all know what it is. It’s a War Mode only feature that (in the given scenario) if a Horde player attacks an NPC first, Alliance can’t loot that NPC or gain anything from it, such as quest credit. (same vice versa)

It isn’t a problem really, because if a player from the enemy faction holds the tag, you can just kill them and steal it off from them.

Not in Darkmoon Faire though. The whole place, even the wooded area, is a sanctuary zone, and since it’s War Mode, still shares faction tagging. Now don’t get me wrong, the faire grounds itself should remain a sanctuary area. The wooded area and the ocean should not be a sanctuary area though. This becomes a problem whenever Moonfang is up.

Instead of being able to kill the enemy faction to steal the flag, like we’re normally able to in War Mode, it becomes a game of resetting the boss back and forth. Taunting the boss, dragging him out of his spawn radius, and then tagging him for your faction. They really need to fix this by turning the wooded area into contested territory, or removing faction tagging from Darkmoon Faire. (Preferably turning it into contested though, it just means more WPvP!)

1. Leeching off low-level mobs

Something really minor, and you usually only see this done by Hunters and Demon Hunters. Leech will return a percent of damage and healing you deal as healing back to you. When you attack a low level NPC, your damage isn’t scaled. A spell that would normally hit 40K or something at level 120, would hit for millions against a low level NPC. Guess what that means? If you have 20% leech, you will heal for 20% of that huge unscaled damage done. Its enough to top you off.

It isn’t a huge problem, which is why I listed it as minor and you can sort of counter this by killing the low level mobs around, but it’s still something I’d love to see fixed in Shadowlands. With the level squish, Im hoping that this is already dealt with, but I don’t know how that’ll work at level 60.

Major Problems

1. Scaling in WPvP

I feel that this one is often overlooked. The scaling in WPvP just feels awful. A lot of you may not know to what extent it scales you at, but I’m here to show you that. I tested this on my level 120 Hunter, Trooly (ilvl 391) and my priest Alphon (ilvl 474).

(Check these links for the healthpools!)
Trooly - https://i.imgur.com/lUm0myN.png
Alphon - https://i.imgur.com/ABavo7T.png

Here’s how I conducted this test. I went into a duel with the two of my characters and had each one burst each other, comparing the damage taken with damage done.

I first tested with my Priest. I had Alphon damage my hunter Trooly until the duel ended. If you checked the screenshots, my Hunter has 210K health. My total damage dealt, which you can find here, dealt 364K.
(From my Priest’s damage meters)
https://i.imgur.com/KHw6G5A.png

But that couldn’t be, because my hunter has only 210k health. There was no healing done by my Hunter either.

Next, I tested on my Hunter. I had Trooly burst Alphon until the duel ended. When viewing the damage meters on my Hunter, this is what it showed.
https://i.imgur.com/FkClinB.png

It says he dealt a total of 339K damage, but my Priest has way more health than that. (555K with Fortitude mind you)

I viewed the damage taken meters on my Priest, and here’s what it showed.
https://i.imgur.com/2yCuHaV.png

My priest had taken 618K damage yet my Hunter only dealt 339K damage. My priest healed a bit from passive procs, (Azerite Helm Cauterize and Impassive Visage) but the damage my hunter dealt was nearly scaled to double what he should’ve normally dealt.

It’s a bit disappointing really. I understand gear acquisition this expansion for PvP isn’t all that great, so I’m not too bothered by this scaling currently, but seeing that we’re getting PvP vendors in Shadowlands, (Honor and Conquest vendors) I do hope that scaling in WPvP is removed, or at the very least nerfed. My priest is 83 ilvls above my hunter, yet the damage I deal, and the damage I take, is scaled so ridiculously to try to even out the playing field. That’s a huge gap.

1. Bounty system

A new system that was introduced in BfA. Everyone here should know about it. It was exciting at first but a core problem was that there was no real reward for staying bountied. You could get that one title, but once you obtained it, what next? There was no incentive to stay bountied. A majority of the time, if I wasn’t trying to attract people to my location, I would just relog the bounty and continue doing WPvP.

You become a loot pinata for everyone, and while they get a reward for killing you, you get no reward for keeping that bounty. I’m hoping to see the bounty system get a bit of a rework next expansion, by adding some type of incentive to keep the bounty. Maybe something along the lines of increasing health, damage, and healing done by 50%, or for every 10 kills while bountied, you gain 5 conquest. (with a cap if needed)

And with that said, that’s all the problems I can think of currently for War Mode. I hope to see some of these problems fixed in Shadowlands to come.

If anyone else would like to add onto this thread in the comments about what you feel could be changed with War Mode going into Shadowlands, feel free to.

23 Likes

[insert obligatory “turn off WM” comment]

6 Likes

You can take away Druid flight form when they take away bubble hearth.

5 Likes

No one’s asking to take away your flight form. We’re asking them to fix the bug accompanying it. Paladin bubble hearth isn’t a bug, and can be countered easily with a priest or the banana.

10 Likes

It’s not a bug.

It’s a feature.

4 Likes

yes working half the time is a great feature.

5 Likes

It isnt though lol.

Druids can be netted just fine if they’re in the air, but if they’re touching the ground it doesn’t work. Even if we get the cast off, if you touch the ground as it’s travelling to you in Flight Form, it wont have any effect. It doesn’t work that way for anyone else other than druid.

6 Likes

It’s a feature.

It started when blizzard decided to take away our ability to toggle between flight/stag form. There is no feasible workaround unless they revert to the old (and better) Druid shifting abilities.
I don’t see this change happening.

Believe it or not, the aura for Flight Form and Stag Form still exists, it’s just consolidated into one spell. The reason why this is a bug is because when you’re in “Flight Form” on the ground, it for some reason counts you as a ground mount, even though you’re a flying mount. A simple work around would be to just change the aura of the form itself to count as a flying mount.

That, or just make Net-o-Matic work on both ground and flying mounts. Take a look at Salt Hardened Shell from Legion. It worked on Druids regardless if they were touching the ground or not. Salt Hardened Shell still works on Druids whether they’re touching the ground or not, but it just doesn’t work on characters above 110.

2 Likes

I’d be ok with going back to the old way.

I hated that they changed our ability to toggle forms. I don’t want the default to be a bird all the time, that would be horrible.

yea as much as i adore avoiding the net all together. id like to run in stag form in duskwood. instead of going straight to bird.

man needs to rp that he is a reindeer

not really sure if its on the list i really skimmed through most of it but the instance joining sounds horrendous. If you want to do an instance it shouldnt matter if you have warmode on or not… once you are inside and all.

maybe the shard thing. when those 120s want to kill me, dont get me wrong its fantastic how blizzard decided to step in and push those 120 mains to a different shard allowing me to continue but cmon… we need to let that aggression out or itll just fester.

You triggered a bunch of druids putting the flight form net thing first #metoo

4 Likes

#druidflightformlivesmatter

Screw that they need to fix that bug…

And yes scaling sucks the big one, that needs to go.

3 Likes

Just speaking the truth! It needs to be fixed. :frowning:

Yeah scaling is a big one for me. I put in a lot work to get to a high ilvl, but then when something like scaling is in the game it makes it feel like it’s for nothing.

4 Likes

Leech could use a bit of a rework. It should only work off with the good old ‘enemies that reward experience or honor’ category. It should also consolidate pet and player damage because certain classes just arbitrarily don’t get a big chunk of the benefit.

This is not isolated to PvP or even player scaling. This is a symptom of the level agnostic system they introduced in the Legion beta and then doubled down by adding ilvl to the math during a Legion patch. It caused an outcry at the time because the outdoor mobs went from trivial to quest green scrub difficulty again.

Basically, all the numbers are a fiction. Mob health and player damage are completely made up. If you take a level 110 and level 120 in a party out to a rare and have them kill it you can see similar results. The 110 might see the health as 200k and the 120 as 600k. The 120 will also show the 110’s DPS as higher than the 110 themselves, and conversely, the 120 will look lower to the 110. The game bases these numbers off some intended ‘time to kill’ metric based on player level and ilvl, then presents an arbitrary amount of health. When an attack does, say 10% of the mob’s health, that attack’s raw damage is different based on the health of the mob to the observer.

I like your suggestion. I also think that friendly bounties should show on the map for people that choose to defend them. After all, the system is intended to spark open world PvP, not be a catalyst for ganking.

4 Likes

A nice and thought out thread. I think there are a lot of things War Mode did right that I’d like to see iterated on next expansion.

Some of the most fun world PvP I’ve had in this game was trying to defend the faction leaders. I’d love to see a weekly quest in WM to kill a random enemy leader - to breathe life into old cities again but to also bring back some of that “no where is really safe” feeling.

Re: bounty, would echo Lostworld’s suggestion of making friendly bounties appear on map too should people wish to help. I like the idea of making it rewarding to be a bounty rather than just rewarding the other faction.

I would also like for the Nemesis quests from Warlords to be applicable in War Mode (and other instanced PvP0.

4 Likes

Nice list. I agree with your points. Especially the druid one!

1 Like

Druids are working as intended. :metal:t3:

4 Likes

Sadly they aren’t.

7 Likes

meh, flight form is fine