A look at the future of the Forsaken - Support For Calia ♕

I noticed this as well. It’s weird.

1 Like

The trouble is that instead of evil, they just made Sylvanas come off as thunderously stupid. She just outright refuses to think critically about anything.

I honestly think having her be pure evil would’ve been better. Because as it stands it’s just extraordinarily embarrassing they took one of WoW’s most prominent female characters known for cold strategic calculations and made her an emotional train wreck who’s feelings prevent her from acting rationally.

I really don’t think they could’ve picked a worse direction for Sylvanas. Complete and utter waste of one of the more unique and iconic characters in the setting.

16 Likes

Also, this.

The majority of female characters in the Warcraft setting who are leading lore figures have just been trainwreck into the dirt. For whatever reason Sylvanas was hamfisted shoved into making a variety of stupid choices not befitting the master tactician she is. Why?

Honestly, I want characters like Sylvanas left alone to avoid any further messy writing. It’s been painful to watch the character narrative be passed from writer to writer without a long-term goal, or in some cases basic quality check on the writing.

11 Likes

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/wowpedia/images/7/77/ZeliekTCG.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20110205072434

Sir Zeliek is a paladin who was so good, just, and holy that even after being raised into undeath, the light still supported him and allowed him to cast holy magic, even whilst his body was forced to act against his will.

The light may not have created Sir Zeliek, but it was intrinsic during his undeath. Which is why people should stop complainering about Calia using the light and start complaining about how she’s best friends with every Alliance leader, roomies with multiple alliance leaders, tried to get the Forsaken to quit the Horde and join the Alliance, and just typically has no ties at all to the Horde outside of the forsaken.

Please stop double posting.

Okay, cool. I would also oppose him as Forsaken leader or as the Forsaken who gets the most screentime. As I said before, Calia would be different if she was just a side character.

Apparently that wasn’t good enough for Blizzard or else they would have just used him for whatever they have in mind instead of directing Christie Golden to write an actual zombie who was created by the Light.

7 Likes

Nobody is actually complaining about this

She’s a whole Disc priest to begin with

People are complaining about the nature of her undeath

Which you admit is different that Zeliek

So great

9 Likes

Some people are whining that she uses the light. They miss that she is a balance priest, and that even the Forsaken use the light in lore.

Her resurrection however was a mess that makes it hard for players to see her alongside the Forsaken. Blizzard really dropped the ball on this.

That said, considering how she died and the options on the table…how else was she going to be raised? She died at Arathi, at the hands of Sylvanas. The Alliance grabbed her, and brought her back to the Priest Class hall. In all honestly, I’d like to see options and thoughts spitballed on lore alternatives based on how she died, and what options existed for the Alliance at that time to raise her.

1 Like

Golden’s problem is also her Alliance favoritism which seeps heavily into Calia. We absolutely should not have Horde leaders sympathetic to the Alliance. This includes Baine and Thrall.

2 Likes

I struggle with this the mentality of sympathy for one’s foe.

I wish that the Horde leadership was not sympathetic, so much as emotionally intelligent and empathic to better understand their foe. Which is a very effective tool for engaging in warfare. Alas, much of the writing lacks that nuance.

2 Likes

Neither side should be sympathetic to each other. Alliance side, people like Genn and Tyrande should be out for blood :wolf:

2 Likes

This is why I liked Sylvanas. She gave the Alliance no quarter.

1 Like

I mean…they historically have been.

I think neither side should be “overall” sympathetic or any other way of phrasing it.

With that in mind, I don’t think either side should be monolithic either. Internal conflict/disagreements/perceptions of the opposition is a generally good thing. While I despise mopey Thrall, I don’t mind having a character who can remember times where he worked with the Alliance and even made friends.

But I’m not much of a fan of the constant feeling that one side of leaders wishes they were members of the other faction (or they’re genocidal monsters). And the other side seems to have all leaders fall in behind Anduin. Because human … whatever.

11 Likes

It is one of her better traits, yet often lacked grander manipulations that would be expected of her. Again, it boils down to writing. I would have enjoyed her using psychological games to push in and then push away the Alliance as a part of a grander scheme to weave their downfall.

6 Likes

We were seriously robbed. I thought that’s where her arc was going before.

6 Likes

Honestly, why destroy the Undercity the way she did? She could have easily pulled them in for a peace treaty arrangement after a careful setup, and then…blighted them all. Less loss to the Forsaken/Horde, the Alliance would have had less tools to respond with…

Disarm your foe by knowing them, then destroy them.

1 Like

Basically yes. Not saying that the factions should be at each other’s throat in every expansion but at the very least resent and distrust should always be the dominant feelings between them. If only to keep the narrative interesting and maintain some form of tension.

8 Likes

The only reason I’ve been able to see is that she destroyed the Undercity in reaction to the formation of the Desolate Council while she was away in Orgrimmar, forcing the Forsaken to relocate to Orgrimmar to consolidate her control over all of the Horde’s members so they couldn’t lead themselves.

That is a potential explanation, but still a sloppy execution for killing the Alliance leadership in a single swoop.

Her plan never made any sense. Alleria literally showed up to the fight through portals, and Nathanos openly said he had expected Alleria to come, so she could have gotten the Alliance out even if Jaina hadn’t shown up. Ultimately Sylvanas was not actually trying to kill the Alliance leaders, as she was trying to prolong the war, not end it.

4 Likes