A forum suggestion for Blizzard

I used to post on my main but then my main changed. An alt on a server I no longer play on but level when I’m really really bored… seems like a good solution for me. If we had a forum identity it would achieve the same result.

But its apparent Blizzard are abject failures when it comes to trolls and other nefarious forum denizens. Something has to change without destroying the privacy and separation of forum and game identities should a poster wish to do so.

That’s not how this works, that’s not how any of this works.
(Insurance commercial :slightly_smiling_face:)

I know you were asked this in the other thread, and perhaps I missed your answer, but why do you think switching to Btag will cause equal or greater harassment?

Current state, I can log into the classic westfall server and communicate with “Marla” in game as well as here.

I know there are measures you can take for both situations, but with btag you can easily report or block the individual harraser, and then their alts get to sit in the dugout, like the worthless scum they will always be.

Btag has less steps to block an account, and solves a lot of the problems with the people who swap characters just to harrass everyone currently.

OP,
I don’t understand why this bothers people so much. So people switch toons and spam flag other people. It just demonstrates that they have some serious personal issues they probably need to deal with. Why let it bother you? :woman_shrugging:

Only if it isn’t the full battletag - posting the full battletag opens the chance for harassment, which I’ve gone into length about before.

That said, there’s a few things that can go a long way:

1. If you ignore one person, their entire account is ignored.
  2. If an OP is flagged, auto-lock and hide the post until a mod unflags it. If the mod believes it’s wrong - delete the thread and action the account. If they believe it’s fine, unflag it, unhide/lock it, and don’t allow it to be re-flagged for like a week.

However, they would need to increase how many flags are needed, as well as make flags count only per account, not character.

1. Re-add the option to explain why you’re reporting a post. So mods can get some context - if they need to dig into a person’s post history, we can explain that.
  2. Make it so you can’t like or flag the same post with multiple characters - make those account-wide.

I am the firm belief that when posting on the forums you should post on the toon you play the most or consider your ‘main’. Alts and low level characters take away from the credibility of whatever the person is trying to say,

1 Like

But people could still ‘do what they want’ - even now you can show off your characters if you want to. I mean, I could post a link in all my posts and comments to the armory of my main character (if I had a main) so that everyone could see. Or I could post a link to my mage if we were discussing mage stuff. Its all there to do now if you want to.

The use of a forum account and avatar would remove all of this “post on your main” stuff because everyone would be on the same page. And as I understand, many people used their real names when making their battle tags (I have a friend who did) and if they wished to retain complete privacy they would have to pay to change their btag. Shrug it might take more work to revamp the system but it could do with an overhaul anyhow.

Me!
Kneeshooter - Character (worldofwarcraft.com)

Unless you add people without knowing them, no it can’t. But we never see the numbers anyway, so this seems moot.

… yes. Exactly. Which is why adding the Btag under your info shows the account if someone swaps to an alt.

No it wouldn’t. Because then people want armories linked to see if people know what they’re talking about.

No one is talking about RealID. If someone was dumb enough to use their real name, then they should get it changed.

Yes, yes it does. Battle.net accounts can be made very easily.

Spam friend requesting someone is still harassment.

Sure, but with a direct trail to the harraser. Follow-on will cost them at least $15. If they really want to harrass you, then it costs an additional $15 a month per troll that can be banned forever.

At least we could have a chance to finally replace the street corner sketchy, compulsive arm scratching, flagging down traffic, type of trolls we have now.

/em raises arms in the air while breathing deeply and smiling like a child.

you mean, NO MORE ALTERS POST?

I don’t see it bad, and it’s an alternative to avoid double post, but I don’t know… give me a counter please.

If it hasn’t been said yet a suggestion for Blizzard in helping these forums is to not allow any classic player to post only retail is allowed here since classic does have its own forum.

Also as seen several times in here most of the classic alts I’ve seen are mostly just trolling, accusing others of harassment, or just plain trying to derail and only letting retail post here will slowly help ease the trolling.

The OP only has 84 posts. Not a forum regular, only here to restrict forum participation.

no to a battle tag forum.

1 Like

Report and move on. This seems like such a rare and over the top thing to happen, whereas the forums are constantly full of people alt hopping to be obnoxious or follow people around.

I’d rather have “Thallia” after my characters names than deal with how bad these forums have gotten.

1 Like

They cannot spam friend request you if you just let friend requests sit there and don’t approve/deny them. I learned that from Facebook. In my opinion “spam friend requests” aren’t a real thing.

1 Like

I just took a look at the Overwatch forum. If I mouse over a poster there, it gives a name and a number, eg Herohunter-12655. Is that the number I see if I look at my realid name, eg Uknown #4444?

Yep. Mine is Thallia#1234, for example. RealID is your real name.

If someone did use their real name in their Battle Tag… I’d advise changing it. Everyone you add to Battlenet sees that Battle Tag. I’m pretty sure they even specifically told us when first creating to not use your real name.

So if Blizzard did institute the use of those battletags which show the realid name and number, anyone could send a Friend invite to anyone on this forum. And given the sometimes problematic behaviour of posters, I could see that being a problem.

And I believe that’s why it wasn’t introduced for this forum - the very fact that WoW players are a lot more difficult in that regard than players in other games (at least as far the forum is concerned). And if they did do it, they would do it the same way they have for other forums, I suspect.

Given that, it would be one way to get me to stop posting here. I Friend hardly anyone on the realid system because I value my privacy and I have refused a number of requests from people I dont know in the past. Call me an old boomer if you will, but I think an anonymous forum avatar is far more of a comfortable fit than the alternative.

No no no no no

Battle Tag is NOT RealID.

The name and number is Battle Tag. It’s a nickname you chose.

RealID is your real name on your actual account. They’re two entirely different things.

They can already do that.

If it’s not a problem now and it’s not a problem on other game forums, it’s not a problem here, either.

No, that’s NOT why. I’ve said this a few times now. People here ASKED to be able to use their characters, because it was important to see who was posting for armories, because this game is defined by our characters, etc.

Literally nothing changes. They can try to friend you now if they want.

THIS ISN’T REALID.

Then keep refusing. Just like now. Nothing changes.

1 Like

You cannot search for people’s alts/toons with Battletag information. Where do you people come up with these counter arguments?