A Character With That Name Already Exists

" * You may need to wait to allow the server to remove the character, which happens after 30 minutes of inactivity"

This isn’t a solution. When someone attempts a log-in to a character it should force a 20-second log out if that character is already logged in.

Details surrounding the cause:

Tried to register a 2v2 arena team, and then was unable to log out. So I had to force quit.

This bug is happening every time I attempt to register my 2’s team. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Character is still logged in.

Over an hour later the character is still logged in.

This happened a third time. All addons disabled. Am I just supposed to not create an arena team?

There are issues with the authentication servers at this time. Other issues may be the result of this.

I am having the same issues.

Been over an hour that I can’t login. Another person I know has had this issue for over 5 hours now. This is crazy…

Hey all,

If you are still getting this error and haven’t already please submit a ticket so a Game Master can check out the character.

I’ve seen a few mention creating arena teams and guild charters prior to running into this issue. Is anyone running addons that’s getting this error? Wondering if a specific addon might be causing issues when creating arena teams / guild charters.

How the issue happens:

1. Hand in a signed arena charter to the Goblin and press Accept after picking the tabard.
  2. Nothing happens and the arena team is not created.
  3. If you try logging out, nothing happens after the log out countdown.
  4. At this point the entire world is desync’d and you don’t see anyone if you change zones.
  5. If you alt+f4 and try to login, it says “A character with that name already exists.”

It’s been over 2 hours and I’ve submitted a ticket, now have an entire raid team waiting on me as I’m the main tank of my raid…

Is there any way to talk to live support? All it needs is for the character to be forcefully logged out…

I am also having the same issue. I have submitted a ticket, but still no response. Its been quite a long time since I’ve been able to log on. It bugged out when the arena charter creation was not working. I have tried disabling all the addons, reloading UI, staying completely offline and logged off for extended periods of time. No luck.

Hey guys remember when WoW support had live chat and we didn’t have to wait 5 hours for a GM to let us log onto a character that was bugged?

3 Likes

Can anyone look into this for the characters affected? I still am getting this error about 5 hours since it began with no resolution. Just cannot log on my Hunter.

The solution is easy, submit a GM ticket and wait another 5 hours for them to forcefully log your character off so you can play

Yeah, that was back before COVID-19 hit and they had to start working from home. They are still doing so at this time.

A quick update; a GM finally got in touch with me and completely fumbled the fix.

He said that my character appears to be offline and everything is fixed. I woke up to his message and tried logging in only to get the same error, “A character with that name already exists”.

I had to respond by explaining to the GM that he can simply type /who Grievous to see that I am online, guildless, in Shattrath even though I am not.

Hour 13 of not being able to login. Hopefully a GM that knows how to use the /who command will respond to my ticket and let me play the game finally.

Oh and now the average ticket wait time is over 12 hours. Guess I won’t be raiding this week at all.

Still haven’t gotten a GM response and 15 hours later still am getting the same issue as well.

They finally responded to me saying that if I log onto another character for 60 seconds and then log off it should resolve the issues. Even though I stated in the ticket that I had already done that without success. Really disheartening too receive a response after 19 hours in which the GM doesn’t even seem to have actually fully read my ticket.

Can’t log on. Ticket in. Been almost 24 hrs with name stuck.