A Character With That Name Already Exists

Don’t worry, they’ll respond to you soon letting you know that you can just log onto another character and log back off then it will be fixed. Even though it won’t.

Hey all,

The WoW team is looking into the issue with creating arena teams that’s causing characters to get stuck online.

Everyone who has posted in this thread should be able to log back in now, so give it another shot.

2 Likes

What was the fix? I put in a ticket, waited 15 hours, and the response I got was the default text that shows under the general fixes for the issue instead of the GM ACTUALLY looking into this and fixing my character. Now I’m having to wait. Again. For another ticket response that may as well end up like the first one.

A Game Master needs to manually boot the character offline. This will clear the “character with that name already exists” message and allow you to log back in.

Try your Mage again Leofrozt.

Anyone else that finds this thread, please try a stuck character ticket and if the automated system doesn’t work reopen the ticket to indicate that you need to have the character booted offline.

1 Like

Crispyxo - Arugal, also stuck online after creating a 2v2 team approx 5 hours ago, can someone please manually boot me off :slight_smile: ?

Rizz-Netherwind, also stuck over 8 hours creating a 2v2 team, please dear god manually boot me off or fix this somehow. I only have one vacation.

Please follow the instructions in the last reply from the staff:

Edit: This is outside their forum support hours, so it’s best to start the process they suggested.

been having this issue where on guild social character appears offline but you /who them and they are in game been stuck like 12 hours now

If they’re in the game, it’s a different issue. If you actually want assistance with that, post it into its own new thread with more detail.

pretty sure its the same issue with trying to make arena and getting the a character with that name already exists if i go on guild alt they dont show up online and they are in the offline on guild tab but i can /who them and they are online

It’s not the same issue. What you’re discussing has been ongoing for a while and there are plenty of other threads dedicated to it.

Hello, I just tried to create a 3’s arena team and received the same issue as above. Can you please have a GM boot Yellowpepper from Herod.

Thanks

1 Like

Tried the stuck character service, but it failed.

You’ll both want to open tickets to resolve it.

Using the unstuck feature does not seem to be working for this issue. I even had a GM try to log my character off for me and it still isn’t working. Almost 12 hours unable to play now.

Same thing happened to me though where I went to make a 5v5 team (handing in the charter) and I lagged out and was forced to crash my client.

going on hour 15 and still can’t log into my main character

Update: SO after going through 4 different GMs one was finally able to log my character out and use the unstuck feature. However, I tried to once again turn in an arena charter for 5v5 and it bugged my toon again and the same thing happened.

Edit: completely reset UI btw and no addons…

Edit 2: Any word on this bug? Apparently it might have something to do with having people sign arena charters while in skirmish matches or battlegrounds. Can anyone confirm?

Also if a GM is reading this can someone please log Farmboy on Netherwind and send him to stormwind? Thanks :open_mouth:

Tried to create an 2v2 Arena team, couldn’t turn in the charter and thought logging in and out would fix it. Got “A Character with this name already exists” for 20 mins, after which i got back onto the game. However i was unable to trade my friend, use the flight path service or even try log out the game. Then got disconnected, and now i have the " Character with this name already exists" again

Renaming the arena team seemed to fix the problem.

I tried renaming the team and I had the same issue, just wouldn’t let me hand it in.
My partner signed the charter in Shatrath so nothing to do with bg’s or ques.

Charter cost me 80g and a 24 hour lockout on my main character, if I hadn’t paid for a character boost a few weeks ago I would be staring at the login screen for the past day…

Still Unable to login after over 20 hours… “Past on to the QA department” - 12 hours ago.