A big problem with ff14 that WoW doesn’t have

Apparently this weekend they actually had to stop digital sales. They were listed as sold out with a waiting list. The servers are full with players. All of them. During what is technically a content lull. Not a problem for WoW though, so that’s a good thing I guess.

Apparently it’s sold out again.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/kotaku.com/final-fantasy-xiv-is-so-popular-even-the-digital-versio-1847272446/amp

Edit: thanks mods.

96 Likes

Of course WoW doesn’t have this issue.

Nobody’s buying Shadowlands.

174 Likes

I’ve had a queue to log in every time I’ve tried to play. Even at 1 AM.

I’d really like to finish up Stormblood and move on to Shadowbringers, can the WoW Dev Team please get their stuff together and stop making bad decisions?

52 Likes

Lol. Oh look, another post about how awesome FF14 is. You can’t make characters on their servers and you can’t even buy the game.

Seems like a solid product to me >.>

29 Likes

Considering they have to remove belts from the game entirely to even make room for new inventory slots without having their servers blow up maybe the issue lays at their own tech

14 Likes

Thanks to all you people who keep shoving ff14 in everyone’s faces, I’ll never play that game. I don’t care if it’s good or not. I’m already annoyed with the playerbase without ever having played it thanks to the few people constantly talking about it on the WoW forums.

60 Likes

Anyone whos thinking of returning shouldn’t unless they plan to raid or M+ and only that.

10 Likes

That’s probably not why. FF has only 24 servers in the NA region. Less in others.

WoW has over 10x more realms and capacity to spread people out. I don’t know how large FF’s servers are, but of course they’re going to be packed full if you have such limited space.

10 Likes

This wouldn’t be an issue if they had good software around their generated keys. SE whole system is bizarre.

1 Like

It’s almost like they are surprised that people want to play their game.

It seems they designed it to prevent rapid player expansion…a great business plan overall.

Step 1: Create hard caps to prevent people from giving you money

2 Likes

Ok now i want to try that game.

10 Likes

No game ever over-plans for a explosion of sudden influx of players. Doing that would waste too much $$ as you’d possibly have sub-par numbers and your game would suffer. They set realistic expectations to a slow increase. Also, servers are not free. Companies have to pay to upkeep them so you increase them as you get more players and keep costs at a maintainable amount.

31 Likes

EXACTLY LMAO. One of my favourite posters right there ^

(Although I started FF 14 a couple of years back)

It’s kind of opposite in a way to what happened to me. How threads were bashing Bellular and streamers. I never used to watch these people but went ahead and tried them out and found that they actually had good points unlike the people who posted the threads.

:smiley:

3 Likes

Because it’s full. All of the servers. All of them. This is a problem blizzard wished they had.

55 Likes

I can’t get over the look of FF14. I just don’t like it I guess. I’m pretty sure I’ll never play it. The way they put all the boss abilities like on the ground looks so fake and ya you can see them really well which is nice, but it just doesn’t flow at all.

6 Likes

Why would they invest in tons more servers when they had no way to predict this massive sudden influx of new players? They recently did add a few new servers with the datacenter redistribution, and they had no reason to think that wouldn’t be enough.

This has nothing to do with poor planning.

17 Likes

The people that think wow is fine right now can’t comprehend that another MMO is doing MANY things better than wow.

It’s straight denial.

64 Likes

But you can say with confidence:

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

6 Likes

We used to have this problem until they implemented phasing and linked server infrastructures. Raiding on vanilla back in the day used to be a horrible laggy experience and it wasn’t uncommon to wait 1+ hours to get ingame.

Blizzards infrastructure is just a technological achievement on its own right.

5 Likes

What is says is two things:

1. Thanks to a very recent (and massive) spike in popularity, the game is literally flooded with new and returning players

2. Perhaps more importantly, it also shows a sense of complacency on SE’s part as, to be fair, they should’ve seen this coming with Asmongold’s announced participation and simply did not prepare beforehand.

4 Likes