8 rep grinds for flying

I agree. WoW use to have many paths at level cap for a lot of content but over time it has narrowed.

1 Like

don’t think i’m arguing with you because i think you’re wrong; i agree with a lot of what you’re saying.

the difference with what you said and now is that yes we had tabards (which i’ve always loved and thought they should continue because dungeons are my thing), but we really didn’t have the amount of dailies and world quests like we do now back then either. i’d love to see them bring back rep tabards… it would help balance some of the playstyle issues.

I have 6 alts that were leveled to 120 through dungeons and battlegrounds. They have next to no reputation gains on and have done the barest minimum of quests to get to the expansion zones. I have no interest in questing or grinding reputation with these characters. Some of them can’t even use the mission table, to passively earn reputation, because the mission table is locked behind a reputation grind. Unfortunately, that means that they are locked out of other content as well.

So no, you don’t get rep to revered/exalted just by playing the game.

Actually, i made an error: in BC you didn’t need tabards (those didnt come around until wotlk) because you got reputation by killing mobs during dungeon runs. So by just running normal dungeons, you earned the reputation you needed to open up the Heroic versions.

1 Like

The main disadvantage of Pathfinder vs gold is that you are forced to do specific boring, tedious tasks that you may not want to do. It takes away player agency. It’s like when they used to require rep to run heroics in TBC. It serves as an unnecessary barrier to content. With gold, you can choose how you want to make that gold.

Another huge disadvantage is that if you skip an xpac or are a new player, you will not spend all of that effort for pathfinder in that xpac, so you will not fly in old content.

In your particular situation, it’s more than doable to get it done, it just takes awhile.

If you’ve done all the questing and exploration portions already, simply checking in once a day after your son is put to bed and doing the Emissary of the day in 20-30 minutes, or checking every other day and doing 2/3 of them in a hour or so is plenty to get it done in a few weeks or so.

I feel you about the Legion stuff (since that’s old news) as well as WOD, though that is much easier due to the fact you can buy rep tokens off the AH for a not too bad price these days to skip the rep grind.

Don’t lose faith!

1 Like

i knew what you meant, and i still want them back! lol =]

1 Like

I wouldn’t be opposed to flying at max level if it cost 2,000,000 gold.

Tbh your situation is a real edge case, I would imagine very few players level that way these days, and that does suck.

Take 1 character and focus on that characatwr as your “rep” character, the questing experience would be much easier at 120 anyways due to gear.

honestly, i level up the same way… well not thru pvp anymore because last i remember, they started giving crap xp. this is why i was able to grind out the zone story line quests by doing them on my dps classes while waiting for random dungeon queue pops. each alt focused on one zone, then i ran whatever to finish up anything else needed. i got pathfinder 1 without even looking to see what was required… granted it did take me longer than most of my guildies.

So here is the thing, when you level a character, you don’t have to stay and do all the zones of that expansion. Scaling speed and such lets you finish in like… 1-2 zones and then you leave that expansion to level in the next.

I mean, it’s easy to say it only takes 20-30 minutes, but the truth of the matter is if you don’t raid anymore (I used to raid from Vanilla - Cata before burnout) and you’ve skipped as much expansions as I have, there is actually a LOT of content to catch up on, but with limited playtime, it’s more a matter having to pick and choose what to concentrate on so emissaries are like, given less priority than a rep grind from something else.

Keep in mind, I’m not really complaining per say. I’m not going to ask Blizz to just make things easy, but these are facts when life means you can’t play as often as you could in the past. It’s more about picking what I want to do, and figuring out the most efficient way of doing it. It’s also sorta why I really hate the portal changes. They wanted to open up the world to make it bigger. The net effect on me has been more time taking flight points and sitting on my thumb just waiting to do something. It’s annoying and has taken away from my active playtime.

And as you’ve said, everything now takes a while. What takes a normal player a couple weeks, can take me months. Just how it is now.

1 Like

No, it’s not.

Not everyone plays the game because they enjoy grinding reputation and completing quests. That’s not what WoW was when many of us started playing the game. That’s not even what MMORPGs were when many of us started playing them. There were no quests or “faction reputations” in Ultima Online. Instead, players created their stories by playing the game, and they earned “reputation” by playing the game with other people (something that WoW seems to have forgotten about when designing the MMORPG experience outside of dugneons and raids). The most certainly did not have it force fed to them by the developers with unavoidable chains of predictable pop up window text.

So, again, no, this is not an edge case. It’s one brand of players assuming that EVERYONE must be playing the game exactly as they do because… well why wouldn’t they?

One Battleground is about equal to one dungeon run (give or take based on if you win or lose).

2 Likes

I can see that yeah, but you can do both.

Doing them every 3 days in a hour or so can stil allow you both progress on Pathfinder as well as go back and do old content you missed.

If you wanted to see the Legion stuff, you would be working on two pathfinders at once! A combo deal.

It’s not to put down your opinion or current situation, I’m just offering options and solutions.

The thing is, I’m not really looking for options/solutions? I already know the path I need to take. I also divide all this with ma RP’s, which is also totally something that takes time from straight content. This is why I’m not really complaining per say, but it’s more like I’m trying to act as a gobbo on a soapbox, to let Blizz know that “Hey, we exist, these are our problems.” and maybe, just maybe (though never count on it) they will listen and realize there is a subset of people that could benefit from some changes. I mean, I know Blizz tells it’s developers to ignore the forums. I also know the devs ignore that advice and know the pulse of the community more than they let on.

Yeah ten characters

throw in the mission table and you’re at roughly 9000 in 2 weeks maybe 10,000 if you farm expeditions in between. If you are going from friendly to revered you need 18,000 rep. That’s a full MONTH of doing every single WQ without fail and lore mastering the zone for that rep. If you are not able to commit over an hour daily to the game, you fall behind. For most players you are looking at 6 weeks to get exalted. That is an insane requirement.

The quests do NOT take you to honored btw, they take you to friendly.

1 Like

But it is in reality? If it were more commonplace Blizzard would have seen that and adjusted requirements accordingly.

In all my time playing these 6+ years you are the only player I’ve seen that levels exclusively in this manner, and I’ve met a lot of people. Of course personal social groups and experiences differ.

Plus, to counterpoint, if your not out in the world doing content, and exclusively do instanced content (dungeons and BG’s) then why do you need Pathfinder? You have plenty of tools to reach dungeon entrances quickly and efficiently without flying, and PvP is all instanced (excluding WPvP) so theirs no travel time required.

Why do you assume that because I’m not interested in quests or reputation that I’m not out in the world doing things?

Again, this is an you not being able to imagine that anyone could play the game in a way that isn’t YOUR way of playing.

1 Like

Then, what ARE you doing out in the world that requires flying in current content, if your not questing or doing dailies? You’ve only really mentioned wanting to do Dungeons and PvP, which are both instanced content.

Are you participating in WPvP? Gathering for professions/profit? Pet Battles? RP?

None of those things require flying, and for 1 of them flying makes it worse (IMO).

Well, it’s the way (In my experience) the vast majority of the playerbase interact with the open world at this point, unless I’m mistaken.

This game is great because it caters to a wide variety of players, but that also means not everything is obtainable by every type of player. Which means if you want certain things, you have to bend a little.

The more interesting question is why is it that you are only questing and grinding reputation out in the world when there are so many other, less structured, adventures available to you out there?

:thinking:

wut?

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

If you must know what I’m so busy doing…

You are.

I wish this was true.

1 Like

I do a wide variety of content, such as:

• Raids
  • Dungeons
  • Old content farming
  • Levelling alts
  • World Quests + Emissaries
  • Island Expeditions
  • Warfronts (when available)
  • Achievement hunting

The only kind I don’t really do is PvP related since that isn’t my cup of tea.

So you enjoy launching yourself from one end of the map to the other off a high peak? Ok neat. :ok_hand:

And this game does cater to a wide variety of types of players, from pet battlers to Mythic raiders, it’s vaster then nearly any other MMO I know of.

You just so happen to engage in a niche (Wanting to dungeon and BG to max level then flying to high points to launch yourself off of) that isn’t catered to, mostly because it’s so rare to see anyone consider that anything other than a novelty.

And clearly you did it back in Legion, where it was actually harder and longer to complete compared to current, so I feel you can do it again.