8 rep grinds for flying

Okay, this changes things a bit. I was thinking that everything essentially needed to be completed on one character and then it would be unlocked for the rest of your characters. I see now each thing is its own achievement.

1 Like

It’s worse than that because the rep grinds are hiding more than just flying. There’s content you just cannot access until you’ve complete certain rep/questing prerequisites.

This is the game the Ion has built and it’s his opinion that if you don’t like it this way, the best you’ll get for your opinion are some eye rolls.

2 Likes

Sounds like Vanilla/TBC.

1 Like

If only they actually just listened to all the mountains of feedback about it on these forums, MMO Champion, Twitter, Reddit, etc.

Blame Tom Chilton for skyrocketing a lawyer up the ranks of peons in Blizzard to the company’s #2.

1 Like

No. Reputation and quest chains never hid major features of the game the way that they are today.

2 Likes

I feel like heroic dungeons were major features of the game.

Yeah that should have never happened.

Requiring rep for Heroic dungeons in BC was removed pretty early on. It was a bad feature then, it continues to be a bad feature now.

People fighting with each other over what is the correct way to enjoy the game, because other people have been pigeon holed into doing things they don’t enjoy to unlock a part of the game they do enjoy. And other people tell them “suck it up and just do it” or “quit the game then”.

This is the game you’ve built, Ion. Why not just give us flying at the start of the expansion from doing Pathfinder part 1 and end all of this? Why are you STILL holding it hostage and creating all this unwarranted hostility within the community? It makes absolutely 0 sense.

If you read through this thread and pat yourself on the back for all the people who agree with you, and are not concerned at how fervent people are arguing with each other about something like flying, then you need some serious self reflection.

“How easily the mind can be turned to hate from a place of fear - an instinctive, natural, protective response. Instead of focusing on the things that unite us, we focus on what divides us.”

• Thrall
3 Likes

Unlocking flight in a new expansion was usually more than covered by the gold earned by leveling up. And they could have kept the BOA tome of flight idea from WotLK. Level one character up on the ground, then buy flight for your alts. There is no real advantage to the Pathfinder system other than saving a small amount of gold.

There are no disadvantages to it. Other than you don’t get what you want when you want it. I don’t know if that qualifies for a disadvantage.

i remember needing to be attuned for a lot of things back then- whether it was rep, chain chests, or going “touch the dark anvil” kind of crap.

i still never unlocked kara technically by finding the key[s] needed…

1 Like

yet, so long as one player in your 10 man group had the key, you didn’t need to have it. Same for a lot of the unlocks in Classic and BC.

It was rare that individual players were required to be attuned to participate. In fact, part of participating was getting attuned. Kind of the opposite of what reputation gating does today.

Anyone who thinks that today’s reputation gating is a good thing to point at when when talking about past attunements, isn’t remembering the experience correctly.

To be frank if you’ve been playing somewhat consistently for the first few months of the expansion you should have 6/8 reps at revered/Exalted already by just doing caches every day. The final 2 are just part of the new patch, so it’s to be expected.

Compared to Legion’s it’s actually easier, due to no dungeon requirements (however trivial those were) and the fact that dailies and Emissary quests give lots of rep.

Plus I don’t even think you need all the reps done? Just Proudmoore Admiralty and 7th Legion is what I got to revered to finish mine, unless I’m forgetting something.

1 Like

a 10 man group doesn’t count towards getting flight either. i was just using that as an example of how things needed attunement and such back then… yet we still managed to get things done.

Yes, because many of us didn’t bother getting attuned, yet we were still able to participate in the game’s content.

Reputation was a niche activity in classic and BC. Most players didn’t care for that kind of game play. And in BC, most people got honored reputation to open up heroic dungeons by doing normal dungeons with the tabards. They didn’t grind dailies to open them up.

1 Like

raises hand
It’s a bit harder for me to do since I have a few alts, and can only play the game after I put my son down to bed. Then again, as a full time single father, I’m just not going to have the same amount of playtime as other people will. It doesn’t help I only rejoined the game part way through BFA, having returned after quitting in Cata, so all this pathfinder stuff is new to me and I don’t relish the idea of having to catch up on all the past pathfinder achievements at all. It’s literally a daunting proposition.

I do however, really do miss flying and realize with these new to me pathfinder requirements I will never get flying again except in old zones that didn’t require pathfinder.

1 Like

Sorry to hear that.

A lot of players are falling through the cracks because Blizz has a tunnel vision of what the game is about.

4 Likes

shrugs It’s part of adulting. I enjoy my playtime, but my son comes first as it should be. I just wish there were some other methods that I could use to get flying, ya know?

1 Like