8.2 Mount Equipment and Water Strider

I don’t know how I missed that. It’s the first viable point I’ve read. The only thing that makes me skeptical of it is how may players flooded the threads (and threads before the announcement of system) expressing absolute hatred of the “bug”.

But you know how that is. If they did keep the Strider as is + w/out a slot, perhaps the forums would be flooded by Strider owners who want a slot. Can’t run odds on that w/out it being done.

It would be an easy thing to have discovered however. Let the Strider remain untouched, and if there is an outcry - remove and give a slot. I wouldn’t be happy, but if there is a portion of the userbase that would be up in arms about it - I’d settle.

This isn’t the only issue I’m raging on… it’s just the most patently visible example of illogical and bad design decision making on Blizzard’s part.

They used to be innovative. Changes, even if they only lasted an expansion, were interesting and diverse. Glyphs, Relics, … but every year that goes by, the changes get more dull and less daring.

Islands? They’re the unscripted reality-tv versions of MoP Scenarios which had objectives and tricks to learn and master.

Warfronts? Fake-pvp vs super easy/predictable npcs. Could have been so awesome, but… yaawn.

Worldquests? 50% kill target, 45% “repeat this menial task” 5% trashy turtle games that wouldn’t even pass as free mobile apps.

The decision makers for WoW have failed us. Over and over this expansion.

Striders? It’s just an easy target for me to vent my break-up anger at.

What will I be doing with all the free time I have not playing or paying for WoW anymore?

I’ll be playing a necro on ESO and sending all the money I would have been spending on WoW to them instead.

3 Likes

I get your point of view but then why have the mount equipment? There are plenty of reasons to play a shammy or a DK the water walking should not make or break them and if it does there are serious problems with the class.

1 Like

I “earned” it as well. Takes 21 days doing 5 mins of “work” a day at lvl 120. I should add that I also could have just waited until MoP timewalking and bought the rep badges to get it in one day. However, I have seen this game change many times. I have invested huge amounts of gold in things, especially proportionally, that have also changed, like when I bought my epic mount in Vanilla WoW, which later became cheap.

I attuned to things that took hours and days to go off and fight dragons and is no longer needed. I used to have a key ring in WoW and, eh, doesn’t matter, there is a long list of things I have earned that are no longer needed by players or that changed in other ways. If you are so emotionally invested in this video game and in this singular mount and ability, you may want to invest in a therapist or find other, more productive, ways to deal with whatever issues are causing you to irrationally attach yourself to something to utterly meaningless.

Sure, I would 100% not post a complaint if they took away the mount equip from strider and let it have ww… so because of that I guess I’m on your side :wink: It’d work for me.

2 Likes

As long as it helps unclog the forums of pointless complaining about something that will not change, works for me.

Jops I totally feel ya. I have a ton of criticisms for BfA, some overlap yours. Warfronts and Islands were a dreadful drain on dev resource for a terrible system.

I also think affixes are a mess in M+, there is too much trash in them, professions are terrible, not having gear vendors stinks, the azerite system was trash… and much more.

This mount thing? Didn’t move the needle for me though, don’t care that much. Too many other bigger things to focus on.

1 Like

Thank you for taking the time to walk me through it, regardless if we came to an agreement or not. I truly do want to understand the other side of the coin, even if it’s not my cup of tea.

Good gaming to you!

I find it interesting you did not address my 2nd point but instead choose to insult me.

What’s the point? Because you enjoy the class fantasy of being a death knight or shaman. Of which water walking is merely an arbitrary utility they lucked out with.

Shouldn’t Frost Mages have a path of frost like ability? It certainly seems like it should be consistent with their class fantasy, especially after seeing Jaina render a big patch of ocean into solid ground at the end of BoD.

2 Likes

My thoughts on this are that there are at least a million people world-wide that play WoW. There are what, 500 or so mounts? What would the serious odds be that not a single solitary player out of a million does not find the bug “cute” or their favorite. They should have the right to play the bug with the other equipment, since the strider can still use the infaltable boots for those that like it and want it to still have a type of water walking.

It’s never good, right or correct to take away things from others when you still have the option to play your way too. (Or close enough Jops, cause I know what is coming)

Yeah, I don’t really care about your sewer thing or whatever that complaint is. Really, I mean it, it has absolutely no bearing or effect on me. There are advantages and disadvatages on many regards to PvP both in map design as well as racials and other things. Nothing will ever be perfectly balanced in WoW, unless they give us all the exact same ability, one ability that does exact damage, give us the exact same armor and weapon, on every class, drop all racials, and make all maps without any terrain, flat exact mirror images, well, you get the idea.

I don’t know how long you play per day, and really, does it matter? If you dislike the strider, you do have the option of never using it.

But if we are going to judge whether a mount should lose its uniqueness because some people dislike it, there is a huge list of mounts that should be on the chopping block.

Luckily, unlike you, I don’t really mind who rides what. What they do is their own business and if I don’t want to “see” them, I have the option of taking a different route.

I am glad you’re excited and If adding mount equipment makes you happy that’s a good thing. However, why ruin my fun in the process? As I have stated multiple times, I worked hard for my strider, I love how it looks, the noises it makes, and its special ability to walk across water. It is one of my favorite mounts and I am sad that they are striping away that uniqueness :disappointed_relieved:

2 Likes

I can get behind that point - but you are leaving out that this is a living, breathing, inhabitable world. Not just a collection of game mechanics.

I think there is what leads us to opposing wishes on the matter.

100% if this was Overwatch, D3, Destiny, ~lists a host of others~ - as long as the bug retained the option to ww I would not blink.

But as this is FF, WoW, ~list the other MMO-RPGs (all 2 of them >.<) ~ , and I have a vested interest in being an inhabitant, vs a cyclical gamer (Blizzard’s term, not mine) - I’m highly saddened by it, and would need to see someone actually upset to the point of coming to the forums to say - “why do I get opted out of this cool system” to make me content with this change.

1 Like

I miss the key ring too.

And to be fair, I get why some might want other abilities on the water strider mount, it seems reasonable-ish.

But it’s CALLED a water strider… that’s it’s function.

If it can’t stride on water because you have slow-fall equipped… then what is it?

1 Like

Falling Strider. Makes absolutely no sense.

1 Like

And yet millions of people are excited for classic because of that very reason! Just because blizzard removed all the stuff that made the game unique back then doesn’t mean people were happy with it.

I am sure if you were to read the forums from that time you’d see the same discussion as we are having now.

Perhaps instead of insulting people because you did not invest the time and energy to grind the rep back when it was first introduced, you could just recognize that some of use did and some of us appreciate the uniqueness of the mount. Not to mention some of use realize that at some point, they are going to remove that ability all together.

Then perhaps blizzard should have been working to fix the issues with their game instead of being obsessed with finding a way to get rid of the strider.

3 Likes

They won’t be changing this, and logically, they should not. So, you might be sad now, but you’ll roll with the punches or move on to other things. I about lost my excrement when Blood Elves joined the Horde back in BC instead of Zul’jin and the Amani joining us, and then eredar were suddenly space faring light weilding good guys? I mean, good god, but here I am years later. Learn to become numb to the changes. It’s no good to piss and moan about it or dwell on it ad infinitum, because, it changes nothing and adds a negativity to your life and game. In essence, you take away your own fun and joy in something. I focus on what I DO like on WoW, and have given up everything else.

Vanilla WoW- ran MC and only did world PvP until BGs released.

BC - hated the raids and played almost all world PvE dailies

WotLK - loved the raids, liked Wintergrasp, hated the world PvE content

CATA - loved Tol Barad and spent almost every day out there for PvP, disliekd everything else.

MoP - hated the entire thing. Hate the music, the aesthetics, the lands, was happy when I saw preview for Zandalari, but then pissed they were enemies instead of joining the Horde. Literally, I did not like a single aspect of that expansion, spent most of it, leveling alts (now have 31 lvl 110 + of them because of MoP)

WoD - loved the alt leveling, loved the world PvE content, hated the raids and did not like the PvP zone. Hated how flying changed by being gated.

Legion - liked leveling alts mostly, did not like that I had class halls and played pals with alliance in them. World PvE was fun, stopped PvP entirely. Refused to play until flying became unlocked.

BfA - refused to play until flying becomes unlocked. Like the outdoor content a lot, have no interest in PvP anymore. Love that I can finally be another type of troll. Was disappointed that Allied Races became nothing instead of huge number of cool new races to play like forest trolls and ogres. Have liked collecting things, so will enjoy 8.2.

And, in the future I am sure my playing will change again.

If I held on to what I really loved, I would have stopped playing when BC came out. So, that’s my advice. Evolve your play to fit whatever the game becomes or just leave and find fun somewhere else. If you are not having fun, then, why torture yourself?

Your argument is because of it’s name? lol Ok, this is just getting silly.

or quit and do something productive if your that mad
thats what a Canadian Named Vitalik Buterin did when blizz made a change he didn’t like :wink:
and he’s made in the shade now, and has developed a tech thats changing the world.
all over being mad about a WoW change.
dont be mad, be productive