SSD? Do we have to upgrade or computers every xpac now?

Not many people have a 100+GB SSD with room, why make this minimum requirement? One of this games allure was that it could be played on a wide range of systems, that has seemed to not be the case post WoD.
BFA made people purchase new rigs and cards, now an SSD to play a 16 year old game.
I know the client evolves, and requirements change, but lets be real, the bells and whistles they add is not worth the monetary cost and loss of users. The game is old its not a PS5 release. It’s a 16 year old MMO, you would think with all the changes to gameplay and loss of subs a company would try and hold onto any legacy players or anyone on a budget PC.
I’ve hardly played since the last patch, as there is nothing really to due, and I know I am not alone, throwing more money at what WoW has become isn’t really adding up.

18 Likes

Your HDD will still work just fine. There’s just lots of stuff to load now, so the recommend a SSD. No one is forcing you to do anything.

Stop blowing small crap up it gets old on the forums.

51 Likes

LOL, you can get SSDs for around $20 now

24 Likes

You can still play it with your current computer.

I piddled around in the beta before I put a SSD in my PC. Game still worked.

MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
Solid State Drive (SSD)
100GB available space
Or
Hard Disk Drive (HDD)
100GB available space (depending on the performance of the drive, player experience may be impacted on HDD)

Google is your friend, that’s from blizzards site.

25 Likes

usually minimum requirements do not mean suggested

1 Like

and you’re whining over nothing.

6 Likes

it means it will work on a spinny disk

did you upgrade it last xpac, and on that note, was it an expensive paperweight?

this is coming from someone with a toaster that crashes on high textures

1 Like

SSDs are very cheap and very easy to install. They’re fairly old tech now. No excuse not to have one.

16 Likes

If Shadowlands has us teleporting all over the place like BfA did, then I would suggest an SSD. I tried to install WoW on my Hdd and switched it immediately.

You’ll be able to play on a HDD, the load times will just not be great.

Though it’s not like a SSD is cutting edge technology anymore. SSDs are low priced enough you can more than afford them in a budget PC.

SSD’s are very cheap right now, probably wont need to replace it for another 8+ years when a better drive may be out depending on how much tech advances.

They updated the requirements, it will work on an HDD or SSD.
Please use the search function, we have at least a dozen active topics on this already.

1 Like

Yes, you absolutely need to upgrade your entire computer every expansion. Take all the parts, and throw em right in the trash. You can get a 128gb ssd for $19.

7 Likes

The text of the Systems Specifications for Shadowlands was updated a few minutes ago on our Support Site: https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/256565

The minimum requirements section for Storage now reads:
Solid State Drive (SSD)
100GB available space
Or
Hard Disk Drive (HDD)
100GB available space (depending on the performance of the drive, player experience may be impacted on HDD)

Please note: the System Requirements for this game may change over time.

45 Likes

And with google I found a

SanDisk - Ultra 512GB Internal SATA Solid State Drive

for 65 bucks

11 Likes

I bought a 220GB SSD on Amazon for around $35ish, I can’t remember the exact price. It’s not the fastest SSD but my load screens are usually only 10 to 20 seconds long in game. I just have Windows 10, WoW, Minecraft, Skyrim, Chrome, and Twitch installed on it. I still have around 90GB left. It was also super easy to install. Since it’s a SSD, I didn’t even mount it.

1 Like

There ya go, see you don’t even need a ssd anymore. No additional crying needed.

13 Likes

The minimum requirements have always been suggestions. It’s not like the game will detect your computer doesn’t meet them and refuse to start. It just means the game won’t run optimally. I run the beta off of a HDD and it runs fine, the load in times are just atrocious. When the prepatch launches on retail on my SSD it will just load faster.

6 Likes