50% exp is slower than 20% exp by about 8 minutes for 111-120 (graph and numbers inside)

Really, paying thousands of gold for heirlooms, then getting a piece of heirloom gear with over +300 main stat just feels…really really bad.

Seriously, either get rid of heirlooms, or make them scale with questing gear. It’s a little silly at this point.

3 Likes

Ruddy, this is 100% true, and it is a much bigger discussion that needs to be addressed. The way scaling works actively punishes players in a way that they desperately tried to avoid in Legion and appeared to have put a lot more attention into that previously. Here, I feel like they were worried about higher level scaling issues and put it more similar to american tax brackets, rather than a scaling bracket.

9 Likes

I noticed a massive difference using heirlooms trying to level from 110-120. By 115 I gave up on that character because azerite gear was clearly superior and faster than the heirlooms. Wish I knew that before I blew a ton of gold upgrading useless heirloom gear.

8 Likes

Youre clearly OCD and I love your work.

I found heirlooms in place of Azurite gear awful levelling and, yes, switched into looms to cash in quest completion. Shame really.

2 Likes

I figure upgrading them might be useful for the next expansion anyway

Mother of God.

What have they done to this game…they have taken everything fun in this game and neutered it to the ground. :frowning:

15 Likes

Auitsm, ADHD and OCD but I get to use my abilities for good, like this https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/b6lprw/desmephistos_charity_stream_for_autism_awareness/

People such as yourself have all taken a huge love in my dedication to this game and has really helped someone like me find a place where they’re welcome. Thanks for your kind words <3

11 Likes

You are talking about “leveling 110 to 120 by questing”, and saying the XP bonus is less valuable than the superior gear of non-heirlooms. That is GREAT info, and very useful to many players. Thank you.

But let me comment on “leveling 110 to 120 by incursions”. I leveled more than 20 alts in Legion (100 to 110) entirely using Legion invasions (once I had flying). One “daily zone set” of WQs gave me around 75% of a level in Legion, in 15 minutes.

In BFA, one daily zone set only gives me 27%-30% of a level without heirlooms, but 55%-60% with heirlooms. Soloing bosses is NOT an issue, because I can always find groups for incursion WQ bosses,

So any alt you choose to level “by incursions” will go twice as fast with heirlooms. I already have 9 level 120s, but I plan on getting to 120 on 28 other toons. I won’t use questing 28 more times. So heirlooms are useful to me (to some players).

Also, heirlooms scale. At 110 they are only ilvl 170, but at 111 they are ilvl 216, scaling up to iLvl 258 by level 116. Since incursions don’t drop any armor (if you are below 120), heirlooms may be BIS if you level with incursions.

2 Likes

This is a good point Karix. However, getting 60% of a bar and then logging off for 18 hours (I think that’s how long?) should not be blizzards approach to heirloom leveling. As for leveling faster, you are right as far as time /played, however it still takes longer in time passed for you to get a new character which only hurts altaholics and people who want to experience new styles of game play (or the same such as myself).

Nonetheless I appreciate your insight, and to be honest with you, having done 110-120 on 26 warriors so far, I don’t want to do it another 16 times, lol. Not like this.

1 Like

Well Blizzard screwed over head, shoulders, and chest heirlooms in BfA the same way they did with heirloom weapons in Legion.

Except this time, we literally can’t even use three heirloom slots that actually give xp, and they are three of the most important heirlooms for the xp boost too. It’s 30% of the total heirloom xp boost we can’t use in BfA content because of the Azerite system, and there’s probably nothing Blizzard can do about it until the 9.X.X patch they release the next tier of heirloom upgrades in.

3 Likes

I set up each of my heirloomed toons with 2 armor sets, each tied to a button (I put the set’s icon on an actionbar):

1. the best set for fighting, my class, my spec, my level
  2. the TURNIN set with 55% XP bonus items

I stay in set 1 except when doing a turn-in. Then I switch to set 2, do the turn-in, and switch back to set 1. Very easy, fast and convenient.

Warning: you can’t swap outfits while in combat. Some WQs are instant turn-in: when the boss dies you get credit. So if I am leveling by incursions (WQs), I may have to do the whole boss fight wearing my TURNIN set.

4 Likes

This should be the first big crack to show that rental gear systems per expansion need to go.

I think it would be fair to also point out it depends on the class. Some specs don’t really benefit from the traits they can pick compared to others.

1 Like

I noticed this immediately upon trying to quest with my lvl 115 dk. Previously, I had been running regular azerite gear and was having no trouble blasting through quests/mobs. After the patch, I upgraded all of my heirlooms and equipped them. I was disappointed to see how much worse the stats are on heirloom gear compared to azerite pieces - not even considering the fact that you don’t get traits either. Questing was very difficult with how weak my character became. I remember thinking how it would probably be better to just wear my regular azerite gear instead, and its nice to see empirical evidence that supports this.

Thank you for all your hard work on AAP btw. I love that mod.

Dude, your work is absolutely mad and I love it. Just subscribed to your Twitch for providing solid data behind the communities outcries. My only hopes that Blizzard will take a look and tweak what obviously needs done to make the game feel good to play while leveling.

Can’t wait to tune in to your next speed leveling stream!

/warriorbrofist

1 Like

I find this very disappointing. The insane amount of gold I spent to take 0/4 gear to 4/4 was a total waste from what I can tell. Upgrading the neck was my own stupid fault (was excited to get looms and didn’t even think about Heart) but the rest I put on Blizzard. This is not what “heirloom” means to me. They are supposed to make leveling from quests easier. And I see that these are something refunds will specifically not be allowed for because customer service can’t remove or adjust heirlooms.

FFS why make useless heirlooms? I bought a token to cover the cost of what I’d spent. Would rather have gotten a Runesaber! Imagine if they hadn’t lowered the cost of the upgrades.

2 Likes

It’s nice to see the raw numbers show some evidence.

Good work OP. Currently I’m about to have my second char hit 120 using full heirlooms, and yes some mobs are very difficult to solo.

1 Like

Awesome man! My nephew has autism. My wife and I raised him for the first 6 years of his life while his mom got her life together. I always told him it wasn’t a disability, but a gift from God! I’m glad you found something you enjoy! Thank you for all of your hard work.

1 Like

Now, this is the kind of posts we need more of. Thank you, great stuff.

4 Likes

I think I am going to level via island expeditions. Buy gear for the other slots in AH. Don’t have the energy to do quests and some of them were already tough with regular gear leveling my main. I’ll quest enough to get to friendly when the time comes.