50% exp is slower than 20% exp by about 8 minutes for 111-120 (graph and numbers inside)

Ya they definitely haven’t made heirlooms what I’d call “BFA friendly” but I think after nerfing them for 7.3.5 they essentially put them on the far back burner.

If they are meant to still be viable for leveling up to 120 they need to be tuned accordingly especially if you can’t kill tough quest mobs with them.

If you’re main unlock WQ, you’re alt don’t need friendly. Just talk Halford once your alt hit 120 and you’re all set. Only thing you’ll miss from questing is phasing and certain flight paths not being used. Though, you’re able to land at these flight paths if you used BoA map from the QM for your faction.

2 Likes

I don’t get it. I would have assumed that the main goal of a speed runner would be simple, find the fastest solution.

Rather than, need to advocate for heirloom buffs so that wearing those will always guarantee the fastest solution.

1 Like

Impressive! Thank you for your work.

Good work. Now the question is: will Blizzard actually acknowledge the facts and do something about it?

4 Likes

What da ook ?? :thinking:

2 Likes

It’s not optimal, but I leveled a couple alts through Island Expeditions instead. Still very squishy (Fury Warrior most recently), and a lot of deaths, but at least you have some help from teammates. Oh, and definitely do the Invasions in heirlooms for a nice boost (and because others are usually killing the targets as well). but yes, for world-questing the heirlooms are NOT ideal.

One thing that really stood out to me is just how badly budgeted the heirlooms are compared to even the crappest, lowest-level Azerite gear.

I levelled a couple of toons to 120 using incursions, because I 100% agree with the OP - the levelling in BfA is just awful, just an endless chain of “15 of these, 30 of those” chores that all seem to have had their collection numbers bumped up from previous expansions, while mobs are super-dense and hit much harder, the classes play like they’re drowning in molasses and the awful, awful ilvl scaling makes you feel noticeably weaker as you progress.

The ONLY expansion in Wow’s history where you DON’T want to level to the new cap because it feels bad to do so.

Anyway, here’s a screengrab of a direct comparison between a basic Azerite piece and its heirloom equivalent, once that heirloom reached a similar item level (at level 119):

It’s crystal clear that heirlooms have been deliberately nerfed into the ground in terms of power. I challenge Ion and the team to justify the above disparity in stat budget.

1 Like

IMO, remove heirlooms, give people a refund, replace them with an XP potion.

2 Likes

I agree OP

They should turn the xp buff into a ring or something and make people have to get gear again

then make leveling fun

I said from the beginning the difference between starting with 280 gear on your helm chest and shoulders, “or close enough to starting anyways,” and whatever scaled ILVL you’d get from heirlooms, would MORE than make up for the experience bonus. Completely ignoring the traits themselves.

I honestly don’t understand why people who actually develop games find it so difficult to grasp such a simple concept simply out of basic logic and reasoning. Of course being SIGNIFICANTLY weaker is going to slow you down more than a tiny 10% experience bonus will speed you up.

1 Like

Nice work. As someone with an Alt Army I concur with the findings. Maybe we can keep this a top issue on the forums and have the Bliz team at least take notice.

The whole talk of ‘Level Squish’ that has been going on, I wonder if heirlooms are even in the fore thought of that conversation as well.

1 Like

I’ve wished for a long, long time they’d abolish heirlooms and create a system where you can apply an XP % bonus to your account.

When I level heirloom characters, I honestly miss being able to get gear upgrades. It’s nice to be able to hold the same mog 'til 120, but given how cheap transmog is anyway … it’s a non-issue.

1 Like

I still don’t get the love for the “level squish,” idea.

If it’s still going to take the same amount of time to level, then you’ll still spend roughly the same amount of time between actual upgrades. The fact that you’ll DING less in between is irrelevant. Unless you’re just addicted to the slot machine dopamine payout when you get something on level…

1 Like

And even then, the stats on heirlooms have been deliberately reduced, as I showed above.

Exactly. People seem to forget that Blizzard just NERFED levelling speed - that wasn’t an accident, it was a deliberate decision. They’re not about to make it nice and fast again when they do the level squish (and, sadly, they WILL be doing a level squish).

1 Like

Why not all three? And are you gearing out 210 pieces with every slot @ 110?

Also, you only really need 4 slots “upgraded” (legs 10% , back 5% , both rings 5% ea) while leveling through 110-120 in the current expansion, but having a full set of heirlooms equipped (don’t have to be upgraded) gives a 55% EXP bonus. Swap to full to sets whenever turning in quests. It takes less than a minute to make your turn-in set and your questing set in the equipment manager, and then drag their icons to adjacent slots on your toolbar.

1. You don’t think it’s a problem that heirloom gear isn’t worth actually leveling in?

2. He didn’t have all 3 because it takes awhile to quest thru a story line to the point where you get a third azerite piece. And if you have the exp bonuses you’ll hit 115 before you finish that quest chain.

3 Likes

We need more posts like this, thank you for the time and hard work you put in.

Which mobs are those, exactly? I soloed every single elite quest with every class that can be a tank or healer in heirlooms.

1 Like

Use your gear sets and just place an icon on your bar somewhere, get into the habit from early level to have two sets and click on and off when dropping quests, than when you hit the top end you are so used to it you just need to remap your second set for questing.

It’s nice to have data, but it is also not nice to know it is harder to finish quests in herilooms and that the additional exp doesn’t even offset this. The whole scaling thing is a joke, you get gear that is even 4% stronger and you kill things much faster that it’s better not to use herilooms.