2-Hander tanks. Why?

Bad idea. Bad. Please do not do this.
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

If they’re cleaving mobs in a never ending fashion then they’re likely either gathering 2 or 3 mobs at a time or losing threat.

This is exactly what happened in ZF, any ranged mobs or any adds instantly hopped on me as the healer, and with my 1.5k hp meant i would be dead in <3s if the tank or dps didnt intervene. The healing threat for keeping a 2hander tank up is insane.

3 Likes

They have tools to maintain threat and peel. Sounds more like everyone is trying to pull things like it’s post-ICC and expecting the warrior to keep things glued to them.

or 5. like right now in BRD.

not that pulling 10 with a sword and board tank would allow mage to AoE them freely as AoE threat is garbage in vanilla.

Cleave hits 3 targets max and uses twice the rage of demo shout. So in early dungeons, when warrior’s damage is pathetic, cleave will not allow the warrior to keep 5 people on them because the threat they generate will be low, and when they start peeling off they won’t have the rage to pull them back. So it’s a poor strategy for early dungeons.

And in later dungeons … I think there’s more efficient strategies for groups of 5.

I don’t see any way you should be able to keep threat on 5 mobs using solely cleave in an efficient group TBH.

EDIT: 3 not 2, sorry. Is it two or three? Not logged in at the moment

Just burn what you can safely burn and CC what you can’t. It’s dumb to expect a Warrior to carry threat on split dps mass pulls regardless of what they’re wearing or wielding at these levels. Regardless, 2h tanking isn’t the culprit. It’s either shoddy warriors, derpy groups, or terrible pull strategies.

2-hander tanks is fine, I healed them in BC I remember. Yeah normally you have bear or prot warrior, but 2-hander tanks is a challenge :slight_smile:.

Yes, be very afraid that you managed to find a real tank. Posers with their 2-handers can’t hold a candle to real tanks with a sword and board.

3 Likes

I think people have just beat into their heads the idea that tanking = wearing a shield and insist on it by default. But this version of the game is a different beast.

1 Like

Some 2Hs have +defense. Idk if thats any better but its there.

Because 2H arms Warrior is the meta Tank spec until end game

Bear tanking is fun for me. I use 2h weapon. Just saying…

They think that holding agro and tanking is the same thing. #youtube professionals lie

2 Likes

Posers with a 2H in leveling dungeons have a shadow of a prayer of holding aggro. The warrior holding the shield is going to be the only one in the party not getting hit because he’s got no damn rage to grab threat with.

Arms is literally the best spec to tank in until level 60…and you can’t even thunderclap in defensive stance, and until you get the stance swap rage talent which is like level 25, you can’t really even tank outside of battle stance lol, if only this OP did their research.

An important question has been overlooked. What level is the tank, and what level are the mobs? If you’re under leveled then yes, sword and board it. If you’re over leveled by 4+ levels, use the 2 hander. You’ll be fine and done in half the time. If you’re the same level and there’s multiple warriors and shaman, absolutely cleave team that place, because the healer is getting more than twice the XP and gold per hour.

With regards to leveling specs, fury is faster kill speed when questing or mob grinding, and better threat when tanking. If you’re the one getting hit, there’s nothing arms has that is going to do more damage/threat than Enrage, and on top of that you get piercing howl, 5% crit to start, and death wish.

In pvp having tactical mastery is nice, but there’s really no need to stance dance when Enrage uptime in PvP is more like 90%. I should point out that when you get Whirlwind (the ability, not the axe) at level 36, Arms can do just as much damage as fury, or more, when NOT taking the hits. Having sweeping strikes and tactical mastery for WW/OP use on cooldown has its advantages, even over flurry, so it can be a good idea to swap 4 levels early if you have someone taking the hits for you. Enrage is completely wasted when there’s someone else tanking.

After reading this thread I’m suddenly very glad I haven’t stepped foot into a dungeon yet.

Everyone’s an expert.

1 Like

Two reasons:

1. Threat, which is actually really hard in Classic beyond 2-3 mobs.

2. They’re impatient and think they can get away with anything like they can in retail because “it’s just X”.

3. They heard some private server uber guild did it to speed level so clearly they can too.

Ask why they’re doing it. One of those reasons might be legit. The other two are reasons to make a naughty list.

Inspiration! I don’t need to heal you because it’s Classic. :slight_smile:

2 Likes