2-Hander tanks. Why?

Every single instance I go to, as a healer, the warriors are always trying to tank with 2-handers. I usually don’t mind it if the warrior is well geared, and takes little damage.

But this is becoming annoying: most warriors get hit for 1/2 of their HP without a shield, making the healer exhaust most of his mana, and spend time drinking after each pool.

53 Likes

What’s keeping you from leaving? You’re a healer, could probably find a new group.

12 Likes

I usually do… after I ask them to shield up and they refuse multiple times. But it is still a waste of time leaving, and finding another group.

23 Likes

I would assume at these levels it’s because they wanna dungeon and are willing to give it a try? Sub-optimal doesn’t mean “the worst”.

That being said, you can build for a 2her dungeon tank - I did it as a fury warrior back in the day. But it does take some coordination. And it was super fun.

8 Likes

What is up with healers burning through mana thinking they need to keep the tank at full health? All you need to actually do is keep him alive. You sit down… wait for tank to get to 25% health or so and you cast complete heal. Maybe throw in a quick patch heal before it if he is taking a lot of damage. I see so many healers burning through mana and dropping heals at 75% health on tank.

47 Likes

Most players right now don’t have good gear sets and can’t respec. If they have a 2H weapon and are talented for it, but have a 1H+Shield that is from 7 levels ago, then you would probably be better off having them use the 2H. They will kill mobs faster ultimately saving you mana.

Also low level dungeons are just a crap show tbh. It’s a n Arms Warrior tanking, an Enhance Sham healing, and 3 caster dps who haven’t trained their abilities in 5 levels and are oom whacking mobs with their staff.

68 Likes

Didn’t read OP but…WINDFURY RAWWWWWWR

27 Likes

While I can’t say for certain about alli side of things, I can say that getting a decent sheild as low level Hord was a bit of a challenge for myself. Had to resort to AH for one, after building up the funds.

4 Likes

Most heals are slow casts, depending on the pull if I start at 75, the heal gets them at about 40%. On a high damage pull if I wait until they’re at 30% they’ll be dead before the cast goes out.

29 Likes

Mostly because early game they can’t get enough rage with a 1h and shield. 1.12 is post many many warrior rage nerfs.

If they are taking too much damage with a 2h they should swap, but that really shouldn’t be necessary until ~40ish.

21 Likes

If I had to guess, they want the extra damage to maximize threat output.

It’s possible that two-hander is their best weapon as well, and they’d deal crap damage / threat with the 1-hand they have on them.

Also you’re low enough level that Warriors don’t really have many defensive abilities that require a shield. They get Shield Block at 16, but that’s it for a WHILE.

5 Likes

that will change at higher level dungeons when tanks actually have tank gear instead of a bunch of whites. Low level warriors even with a shield can barely take any more damage than the dps in the group

6 Likes

Ok, part of it is them being clowns(I can DPS and tank at the same time) but part of it is practical, it is the simple fact that it takes 2, not 1 but 2 one hander hits to get enough rage to do a single sunder armor. Combine that with DPS that pop off the moment the tank touches the boss, they have no chance of holding threat with a one hander and shield and they get super frustrated and start swinging a 2h to get rage.

This is especially a problem when leveling because your 1h gets out leveled very quickly, using a green or blue that is 10 levels out of date because you havn’t found a replacement, becomes a real issue in the 20s-30s.

10 Likes

When no one waits for the tank to get aggro might as well charge in with the 2h and get as much rage as possible and try to hold on to as much as possible.

22 Likes

As a new wannabe tank on my warrior alt, I thank you for this info.

Perhaps we need a Advice To Tanks From Healers list of do’s and don’ts.

3 Likes

Because most players are bad. Its even worse in classic, ive noticed. You would think the slower pace would help bads…you would be wrong.

7 Likes

Haven’t seen this. Every tank has had a shield in the… 4 dungeons I’ve done so far.

Another issue with healing tank at 80% hp. Everything then jumps on the healer.

1 Like

I’m aware, it’s just at this point with SM cleave groups it’s spam heal or die.

Lot of cancel casting and mitigating the damage of 3 or 4 monks that can really eat the mana

Funny enough with good groups later dungeons get easier as our toolkits get bigger

This. The damage mitigation may be a bit worse, but the 2-handset really helps with rage. No rage = no aggro. And the way DPS has been behaving, tanks need all the rage they can get as soon as they can get it.

12 Likes