1.12 AV is a huge, huge mistake

Well, damn, we really only need a blank battlefield where we can just RP early AV.
/s

4 Likes

I don’t understand the shock and outrage. We knew that the game was being released as close to patch 1.12.1 as they could get it. That includes 1.12.1 AV.

2 Likes

Turns out the #nochange crowd in fact wants changes.

1 Like

Turns out you still pull out that bumper sticker hot take even though it is flawed. No changes was no changes outside the scope of the vanilla timeline.

9 Likes

we didn’t ask for 1.12. It is what we were told and what the playerbase wants (the people they are making this for) is for some things to be the older versions. i think most people agree that the 1.12 class design is what it should be but pretty much everything else should be how it was when that content launched.

also if blizzard insists on doing this well then pservers are here to stay because blizzard isn’t providing the authentic experience people want.

2 Likes

1.5 AV with 1.12 balance is outside the scope of the vanilla timeline.

1.12 balance without D2, DM, BWL etc was not in the scope of vanilla either. Try again.

9 Likes

Probably because right after they added reinforcements is literally the first time in the history of AV that Horde had a structural advantage and started winning.

Alliance players started boycotting in protest, so Blizz changed it back so that Alliance had their structural advantage again.

I said it once! and I’ll say it again!

Me…personally would have wanted the Classic WOW with enhanced tweaked that were later introduced with later or earlier patches.

Take 1.3 AV and replace it with 1.12 AV but keep the rest tweaks that were fixed etc.

The whole Zerg of UBRS and having reduced 10 man raids to 5 sucks! what sucks more is the RETAIL AV in classic wow!

You mean they’re time gating content? Yeah we know that, big difference between gating content and actually using different patches of the content.

Actually blizzard didn’t change anything, what reinforcements did was make it so the easy horde win strategy took too long. Once people realized that alliance stopped queuing until horde stopped using that strategy.

It’s actually kind of beautiful in a weird way to see a community collective decide to just lose.

Really missing the mark on this one, Blizzard.

Oldschool AV is an iconic part of vanilla, and an experience truly unique to WoW that has not successfully been replicated before or since. Don’t take the easy way out here. I know that’s easy to say from my end, but this right here warrants some good ol above and beyond type attention. Two teams running across a map to PvE is not popular in retail, and it’s going to be even less popular in Vanilla. C’mon now…

6 Likes

It’s really not. More people played the 1.12 version of AV then ever played the 1.5 version. In your opinion it may have been better, but don’t pretend it’s some iconic piece of art when the majority of Vanilla players have never seen that version of AV.

1 Like

Strath and Scholo were never 10 man, just overtuned so people took 10 (this was back before instance caps). None of the quests were marked as raid, and you had drop group to loot quest items then rejoin before getting kicked out.

Reinforcements gave the Horde a viable way to win by playing defense at the chokepoint near the center of the map. Their structural advantage was that dead horde players could get back to the chokepoint from their g/y faster than alliance players. There was no point in a strategy like this before reinforcements.

When alliance started boycotting because suddenly the other side had a structural advantage, Blizz changed the map by moving the horde g/y back even further.

You really are being daft. Because Blizzard is creating Classic as a stand-alone game that doesn’t have to be concerned with whatever new systems are being introduced with the next expansion, it can incorporate whatever elements of the vanilla WoW development cycle it wants. If it wanted to have 1.12 talent trees, with 1.2 item stats, 10 man Scholo, and 1.5 BGs with no marks of honor, it’s perfectly free to; and it would still be in keeping with providing their vision of a truly Vanilla experience.

5 Likes

They were capped at 10 in 1.3, along with all other dungeons besides DM (5) and blackrock spire (15). Then they (and brd) were capped at 5 in 1.10 (same patch spire was changed to 10).

You’re intentionally ignoring what blizzard’s been saying, they’ve made it very very clear they consider 1.12 the gold standard for what classic will be. And this once more confirms it.

Actually no, the real horde advantage with reinforcements was at SH. With how weak belinda was compared to galv and how easy the alliance towers were to take there and how much that narrow uphill path favored horde, horde had a guaranteed win almost every time if they defended there.

The problem was that the games took 40+ minutes.

I don’t remember the exact location of the chokepoint now because it was like 12 years ago, but we are talking about the same thing.