1.12 AV is a huge, huge mistake

Nope. Not once.

Never even had a warning from a gm.

Oh wow, we’re not getting the good version of AV? Why bother then? Just delete that garbage.

5 Likes

Please add me to the list of people who want an earlier version of AV in place. Mounting and running all the way to end of the map is not pvp - it’s a scripted pve encounter.

8 Likes

In before certain individuals once again swoop in to claim that the pve zerg didn’t happen in 1.12.

AV needs to be tweeked anyways…They had it so you could spawn npcs to help and the battle was meant to take longer. But now none of that exist. Or it does but no one wants to do it because of reinforcements. Wat they should do is make the resources to spawn the NPCS easier to acquire and get rid of reinforcements.

I think you might be in the wrong forum. There are no reinforcements in 1.12.

Read from the beginning.

Then you are talking about retail AV and not 1.12?

AV always had long Q’s. You cant say almost no one played it. The PVE zerg is booty.

All the people arguing against the OP will probably not be able to level high enough to que for AV and they will be the FIRST ones crying for QOL updates.

Edit: fat thumbs

6 Likes

Couldn’t agree more. I’ll probably never even play AV with it the way it is.

7 Likes

Add me to the list.

Speaking of agendas, what’s yours?

Because this reasoning behind your opposition to a vanilla-like AV is flimsy at best. It sounds more like spite or contrarian more than anything else.

1 Like

We still getting the poopoo AV blizz?

10 Likes

Thanks for bumping this Stavros, now that we got names reserved, back to the fight for a more fun version of AV!

We’re getting Classic WoW 1.13 patch, hopefully with the months and as the phases progress we can convince Bliz to give us a 1.14 patch with better AV! Not 1.5 AV, not 1.12 AV, something that’s based on AV of old with the 1.12 needed improvements - such as AFK detection. Better AV! Better AV!

6 Likes

This November marks the 15th anniversary of World of Warcraft, and we have some special things planned to celebrate the occasion. Players who log in during the event period will receive a celebration package in the mail with a Lil’ Nefarian pet and some other in-game goodies. Throughout the duration of the event, you’ll be able to participate in three unique raids with iconic encounters from past expansions along with an old-school-inspired Alterac Valley battleground.

Which begs the question "how “old school” will it be, and will classic be getting it.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/8-2-5-ptr-development-notes/237019

5 Likes

I remember entering “Alterac Valley 7” one morning and then playing it for 14 hours straight; turtled on the bridge all day. Slept for 8 hours and the next day I joined the same one, and the alliance were still piled on the bridge. After another 4-5 hours we stealthed south and ended up winning the match.

If it’s not comparable to that, then it’s not a legitimate vanilla experience.

9 Likes

I thought their excuse was they couldnt get the old school AV. I guess we shall see !

3 Likes

I’ll take “inspired” early version AV, even if not a carbon copy. But still, “old school” doesn’t tell us much. If it translates into 1.12 it will be insultingly eye-rollingly absurd on their part.

2 Likes

The problem is that back in the day, AV would take hours and even days to complete. In fact, a friend of mine once told me that he took part in an AV battleground that lasted for days, finally ending in a dead tie after the servers were taken down for maintenance.

I doubt Blizzard even intended for Alterac Valley to last so long that battles could go for days and end only with the server restart, thereby producing no clear victor. And personally, I think playing a battleground for days on end with no clear victor is going to set off many alarm bells…because then you would go in to school/work after gaming for 12/24/48 hours (with no breaks) and then you find you are sleeping on the job, can’t concentrate on your work, etc.

Now, I will concede that back before AV was changed, that the dangers of sleep deprivation, epilepsy, vision problems stemming from looking at a computer, and other dangers associated with gaming for hours or even days on end with no breaks wasn’t exactly established. But today, those dangers are more well understood, and almost every video game studio has been sued (or had threats of being sued) after someone died or was sent to the hospital due to gaming for too long and later being diagnosed with a dog’s breakfast of health problems. Heck, I would not be surprised if Blizzard was sued or threatened with being sued by family members who saw their kid/parent/etc. game for hours/days on end due to trying to win Alterac Valley and later suffering health issues. In fact, several games are now required to post warnings after you play for a certain period of time (such as an hour or two) without going AFK.

Now, would Version 1.0 AV be fun to play on the weekend? Absolutely. But if Version 1.0 AV is the one they go with 24/7, I give them 6 months before Blizzard is threatened with a lawsuit.

That was not a “problem”. It emulated an ongoing battle that you were a small part of. You could make meaningful rep and honor just playing as long as you liked. What killed that was the introduction of marks of honor and CRBGs.

12 Likes