10.2 Night Elf Thread

gestures frantically toward Ashenvale until blue in the face

Well, blue-er than usual

I do agree, though, that it was probably due to the weird limbo that multi-phased Darkshore was in.

And yet, they started out the heritage quest by showing how the two featured characters were still living in Stormwind, and finished it off by going back to where all of these characters were based in Stormwind. So they didn’t even present it as a “don’t worry, the night elves have moved back to night elf zones” but instead added yet another reinforcement to “the night elves are still squatting in Stormwind” narrative.

7 Likes

well I guess this solves the world tree location for good.

1 Like

What am i missing?

look at the left edge of the map. There is now a new landmass on the main dragon isles map.

After sitting in the files since BFA, they finally made use of the Ancient of Wind! They are in the Kaldorei battlefront along with both an ancient of war and an ancient of lore.

11 Likes

Yesssssss!

My little Druid of the Talon heart is happy for this.

As for the location of the tree, I was resigned to that long ago, and I still think it’s a terrible idea for the story of all the factions involved. RIP Green Dragonflight’s chance to be independent, you’re now entirely the night elves’ backup dancers.

8 Likes

Your wish is partially granted. Whatever is the end result, a new player capital that no one will ever use once the novelty is gone, isn’t going to be one of them.

I’m just unsure what the purpose of their heritage quest was.

The Forsaken’s isn’t exactly groundbreaking but it did feel like a sort of statement. The Reclamation of Lordaeron was their homecoming moment and this proved the Forsaken are very much fully operational as a nation again. They repelled a fullscale surprise invasion without allied support and in spectacular fashion.

Whereas the Nelf heritage quest seems to be about Maiev overcoming her anti-mage prejudice. And good for her I guess but I don’t think that was exactly a pressing issue.

11 Likes

The night elf quest did not feel as if it was intended to really make a statement of “this is who we are”. It feels like it was an unsupervised fanfiction that got put in to give us one of two colorations of the armor.

TBH 10.2 feels like it is basically the heritage quest chain as Kaldorei focused as it is. It deals with the druids of the flame and how their resurgence is actual fallout of the war of thorns, and then of course there is the whole protecting a world tree from a being that seeks to claim its power. It is a different version of Archimonde coming for the power locked up in/under Nordrassil.

9 Likes

I’m still yet to see most of the DF content. Leveling a new character so I can just buy whatever the current PvP set is at 70 and wander into whatever the current content is.

As that genuinely seems easier than trying to untangle my main from the mess of quests and progression he’s in. Coming in midway through an expansion really is a bewildering experience.

They could do a part 2 heritage quest after the new world tree story is over. Blood Elves got a part 2, why not Night Elves?

1 Like

I mean, it’s enough so that I’m finally leveling my old main.

Slowly and largely through violence, but she’s mid 60s and climbing. And she’ll have a full set of PvP armor waiting for her. But I’m not going to get blindsided like I was with the Baine quest and miss out on cosmetics because I happen to be doing it on the wrong species.

Also, this all feels more… elf druid friendly than the right place for my Dark Iron warrior, dwarf monk or my little bronze horde augvoker.

So long, pumpkin patch. I won’t miss you.

I am perplexed by the Worgens though, given they are nowhere to be found in 10.2 beyond Celestine of the Harvest as token representation.

8 Likes

Could be they’re setting up the future gilneas plot from the Retaking Lordaeron quest line. That’s my guess anyway

2 Likes

Of note I think the Bloodfang were said to have controlled Fenris Isle so presumably they were run out by the Scarlets.

Or, more likely, Blizz simply forgot they said that. Gilneas went from being rendered uninhabitable in the Sylvanas novel to being occupied by the Forsaken as of the Reclamation quest. Truly it is Schrodinger’s Zone.

Also that was particularly funny to me as the Forsaken are fending off feral zombies while reconstructing Brill. But apparently just had a spare battlegroup in the next zipcode guarding nothing.

2 Likes

This patch made me resub to see this stuff for myself.
This is not what I expected or wanted when BFA first launched, that’s for sure, but now at least I have some incentive to level a character to max level.

At least I have BG3 to go back to if I need to wash down the bad writing in this game.

I am waiting to see what Metzen does. If anyone knows who what each individual race is it would be him, and I get the feeling the company is in a mindset to actually listen to what he has to say.

Oh no, Stormwind is going to have to import another refugee race to work the fields. Can’t have Human peasantry soiling their hands for meager pay!

1 Like

What? more work?

1 Like

Gross, night elves once again can’t even help themselves.

5 Likes

its such a weird decision… like what is it even trying to accomplish?

Is Lilian supposed to be there to represent some sort of apology and as an act of Forsaken redemption be there to assist the Night Elves?
If so thats certainly not how its presented…

1 Like