10.2 Night Elf Thread

Probably why I’m secretly glad they haven’t written any real Vulpera lore since BFA.

4 Likes

Is the tree sized to be an actual area or the area is around the tree?

I would love an actual city on top of a tree in game.

No, this is going to be a Nordrassil style world tree, not a Teldrassil style—The building happens under it in the roots. As it looks now, it does appear to come with a pretty large island comparable to Teldrassil, though.

Same lol
Its for sure a monkey paw situation

1 Like

Please, Blizzard, for the love of god, do not have the Night Elves abandon their ancestral home (Northern Kalimdor). Nordrassil is still alive and has been since the end of WC3. Even if it’s power was depleted, it still contains the Well of Eternity and serves its purpose of safeguarding the energy of the Well. The Night Elves are still bound by their covenant to defend Nordrassil and ensure the powers of the Well of Eternity don’t fall into the wrong hands. There is no reason they should be abandoning it.

7 Likes

I don’t think the new tree would necessarily be the new Night Elf capital, even when it becomes part of Azeroth.

There are some possible scenarios here.

1 - The tree will be on the dragon Isles and is the new night elven capital.

2 - The tree will be somewhere else (Kalimdor?) And it will be the new kaldorei capital.

3 - The tree will be on the Dragon Isles and will not be the new Kaldorei capital.

4 - The tree will not be on the Dragon Isles and will not be the new Kaldorei capital.

Also, even if the new tree physically in game files is on the Dragon Isles, it could be lorewise on Kalimdor, just like Exodar and Silvermoon are technically in Outland in the game files.

Idk whats the PTR is showing, but who knows.

Logically, it shouldn’t.

What has me worried is how many datamined NPCs have comments in the vein of:

• saying the tree represents renewal (the catchphrase Blizzard has been using to describe the night elf faction’s main goal.)
  • considering the tree a replacement of Teldrassil in many ways (several of those ways are related to it being the night elf capitol, soo…)
  • considering the tree a place to settle (compounding the previous point.)
  • ‘For so long, we’ve been without a home, and now [Amirdrassil]’ (By the return-to-status-quo current state of Kalimdor, the only home territory permanently lost is Teldrassil, so this sure sounds like they’re calling Amirdrassil a 1:1 replacement, capital/population center and all…)

So, even if the fine print says “nah, the night elves totally kept their old Kalimdor territories and their civilization is still based there”, this patch looks like it will be presenting the vibe of Amirdrassil being the new Teldrassil including its centrality to the night elf playable race. And players will pick up that presentation, believe what they see repeated over and over on their screens rather than the technically correct canon that they have to dig through out-of-game sources to find a few scant references to.

And this bugs me so much because the Return to Lordaeron and Forsaken heritage quests were great, and they were in Lordaeron. So the devs can and will make that kind of clean-up/lore update content in the old world. I just want the same thing - showing the night elves undoing some of the damage in Darkshore or Ashenvale, and reaffirming their culture is still surviving and successfully repelling invaders in their homeland.

I don’t want to be center stage in the expansion’s overarching story. Let some other group get the spotlight. Let the Green Dragonflight have a Green Dragonflight story - they’re a lesser-used flight who many players already feel are too night-elf-adjacent, so why turn this golden opportunity to show their own independent purpose into… being bit players to the night elves’ story?

13 Likes

Well the Return to lordaeron questline didn’t actually give us a functioning city, it gave us a tent, there is still no undercity, the problem they have stated is they can’t do phases on an already phased area, so they can’t actually give us a city

1 Like

I don’t see how it’s not going to be the new capital, everything seems to be indicating that it will be with all those night elves talking about having a home now or whatever, after living on the pumpkin farm in stormwind for almost 10 years now. The only thing I can see changing the location from the irrelevant dragon isle is that the emerald dream is basically a blue print for how azeroth when the titans shaped it, so before the sundering. So the location could still be on/close to Kalimdor when it manifests in the real world rather than retiring the night elf race to a soon to be irrelevant expansion island off the shore of EK, closer to undercity and silvermoon than stormwind and nowhere near an actual forest.

They could create a whole new map that is say, upper EK, where they update all those zones and give us up to date modern zones for the story. With this they could also resize the zones to be more like how Dragon Isles.

This would be ideal to me. Give us a revamped Quel’thalas, Lordaeron, and Gilneas.

4 Likes

Also there’s the mysterious Northern Lordaeron which can be pretty much whatever they want it to be at this point.

I’m hoping for a “Last of Us” esque region that was completely abandoned which has become a sort of frontier land for all the relevant factions.

I would love if they did something with strom. I know the fact it is cursed to burn forever is them being lazy but… what if it wasn’t? There is something very gothic horror about a damned city that burns forever and its citizens die over and over.

1 Like

Kinda at a loss for what to do with Stratholme. It remains my favorite Vanilla dungeon and I do think it works best as an instanced doomed city.

But modern WoW PvE is more of a time trial than a proper dungeon crawl. So the fun of descending deeper into this city of the dead is gone.

I guess a reclaimed version of it could be used as a neutral hub gateway into Northern Lordaeron though. Figure it’d be split between the Forsaken, Worgen and Argents with significant Scourge remnants still clinging to some areas for content.

1 Like

I’d really like more cooperation between Humans and Forsaken. They are after all the same race. Too bad most Forsaken are evil incarnate wanting to torture and murder the living.

I think the Nelves suffer from a lack of a punching bag villain.

I advocated for the return of the Scarlet’s precisely because the Forsaken look their best when they’re terrorizing humans with a weaponized Spirit Halloween catalog. But if you do that with the Stormwindians you’re going to get a lot of knickers in a twist. So the Scarlets let the Forsaken have their cake and eat it too.

The Kaldorei going berserk on Captain Planet villains would be cool. Massive vines ensnaring and crushing industrial equipment and the like. But there’s no real villain they have a longstanding rivalry of that does that, that isn’t just the Horde.

Like you could wheel out say the Venture Co or Burning Blade to do that. But without the history it’d be just kinda random.

1 Like

Well, there is the legion… which is gone…

There is Azshara and the naga out there still.

Fire druids seem to be a thing again and the Nightmare is a constant torn on their sides.

Lack of villains isnt a problem, is that you normally dont see those villains being put in their place.

The night elves had the Satyr, the Naga, and the Burning Legion, and they made fantastic punching bags because you could never truly keep any of them down. They also fit great with that Anti-Captain Planet vibe because they all wanted to mess up the world somehow. Mostly the Burning Legion.

But then we killed Xavius, knocked over the Burning Legion, and even beat up Azshara. So…

:dracthyr_shrug:

2 Likes

Upon some thought I wonder if it’s in Felwood because Darkshore is still stuck in that BFA Warfront mode where it changes every few weeks or so. And I don’t believe there even is a post Burning Teldrassil region in game.

So they landed on Felwood as it was the only nearby region where you even could put this content in.

3 Likes

They tied the questline with a character from classic that had a quest there.

Maybe, just maybe, they plan on remaking the area ans it being free of corruption?

That’d be my guess. If the rumors are true and they’re moving toward a world revamp basing the Kaldorei out’ve Hyjal and adding a purified Felwood to their territory would make the most sense to me.

I’d certainly love to see a huge swath of fae forest territory. Always bugged me you just had this random normal forest in Darkshore. Figure you revamp Hyjal to do the same and fix up the eyesores in Ashenvale.

It aggravates me an unreasonable amount there’s still that lava flow bisecting the place. I’d assumed that big fire elemental causing the overflow was some important Cata villain but nah he gets sorted out by a Goblin Shaman hilariously easily.

5 Likes