10.2 - Guardians of the Dream

well more like protectors of the well of eternity rather than Kalimdor. They just lived there and as long as the new tree enables them to keep protecting the well where all the moon juice is coming from then it should still be ok.

And on the plus side whether the Horde goes on a murder spree or not the Night Elves aren’t really threatened anymore.

More like admiting we cannot defend ourselves on our own eventhough we proved we can so we better pack our bags and move out.

Imagine being robbed in your own house by a neighbor and when the police comes, instead of arresting the thieve, they tell you to go find a house somewhere else.

Those new customizations are looking pretty good! I’ve never really being a fan of the Moonkin form because they look nothing like the ones from WC3. Those actually looked impising being all fit and tall ready to smack you down with a single blow. Current Moonkins look so fat and out of shape that it’s funny.

I’m still hoping for a reworked Glyph of the Stars where we are not made to look like blue ghost.

2 Likes

That was definitely proven back in BFA. So moving back to the place where you are shown that you cannot successfully hold or protect is real stupid.

Everybody lost something in BFA and this was what NEs lost, though I infinitely prefer moving out than the Night Elves only surviving because the Horde has decided to let them live.
Capitals change, its no big deal.

Rome was lost to the Ostrogoths but Constantinople survived for another thousand years.

I get that but Blizzard should just call it as it is, a Loss. Night Elves Lost. Period.

They are trying to frame it as a renewal or new begining or whatnot but we are forced to move out so a loss is a loss no matter the word.

Why would you ever move back when the Horde can do what they did again? Its dumb

The alternative is the dissolution of the Horde

Yeah, WC3 Wildkin definitely had way more of an ‘edge’, would be cool if we could have gotten some version of them with the update. I’ve always had a soft spot for modern Moonkin but I’m also bias since I own A LOT of pet birds, so anything remotely avian is an instant win for me. An updated version of the big chunky fluffy owl-bear is gonna be a-okay for me! (Especially where Moonkin in general have been neglected for so long!)

4 Likes

Do what again? Bend reallity to achieve their goals? The amount of things that needed to happen were out of this world for the Horde to invade Night Elf lands.

-Entire military gone
-Tyrande made to stay in Stormwind
-Ancient Nature allies gone
-Draenei tired and unavailable
-Secret tunels unheard of for millenia recently discoverd by Orcs
-Sylvannas secretly empowered by a Cosmic Entity
-Surpise coordinated attacks to all Kaldorei posts by smelly rotten undead
-Transcontinental catapults able to set on fire an almost-continent size Magical World Tree

And still Horde lost more people at an 8:1 ratio.

Night Elves should never be able to go through all Kalimdor erradicating the Horde on their own but they have proven to be extremelly proficient at defending their lands as long as Plot doesn’t say otherwise.

7 Likes

Honestly at this point I don’t really care about any of that anymore. I saw what I saw and it wasn’t the first time neither, this should haves, or would haves and whatever doesn’t really matter.

Horde marched in, killed everyone on their path and burned a capital city then merrily went back home with enough time to spare to reach Lordaeron and evacute everyone out.

Going back to the site of your defeat with nothing different is really really dumb. Nothing makes me cringe and roll my eyes harder than empty promises. Dragonflight gives a different solution so I will take it, its a nice change of pace from the stupid ball being passed around

So the issues began in Cataclysm when the Horde took all of Ashenvale and threatened to spill into Darkshore. Even after it was reclaimed we never took it back completely, and to boot we basically gave over Azashara in exchange for promises the Horde would not try to expand north again.

Fast forward to BFA and the Horde basically walked all over its promises made to the Darnassian Government and obliterated Kaldorei civilization. At this point we have established two things:

• The Kaldorei are not strong enough to take on the full strength of the Horde focused on them
  • The Horde cannot be trusted to keep its word that it will not fall back into its old habits of pillaging and murder for “honor”.

With that in mind, Amirdrassil offers a safe land to build up that is far from that threat. That does not mean they give up on Kaldorei holdings in northern Kalimdor, it just means they do not put all their eggs in one basket the neighbor is known to randomly stomp on.

2 Likes

The Kaldorei don’t even utilize most of their own capabilities in these battles though. Cataclysm has them split all over the place, and BfA had them only leave a skeleton crew in their own land, with nature spirits implied to be impaired by Azeroth’s dying state at the time, not even mentioning the writers outright just neglecting powers involved in their culture like the Ancient Guardians who would’ve attacked them for destroying a world tree (a force of life energy in the world as it dies, something BfA also never mentioned but older lore established as a function of world trees).

Nothing logically establishes the NE’s cannot hold it. Let’s not pretend this isn’t primarily an out of lore “we don’t want you having your lands” thing on Blizzards end. Because it’s just outright disrespectful to NE lore to look at Amirdrassil and not pretend that it’s not trampling on their themes, even beyond possible location, and is spitting on the actual narrative Teldrassil had when alive as a source of nuance and different perspectives of NEs regarding their place in the world.

Every advantage Amirdrassil gives, Nordrassil does too, except it has even more Emerald Dream portals than the singular one we see, and the ones in Nordrassil are explicitly large enough to move armies through, let alone dragons and spirits, and it’s through a realm without the constraints of time. In fact, Nordrassil is immune to corruption by it’s very nature, something we have absolutely no evidence for regarding Amirdrassil. There isn’t any logical justification that prior lore doesn’t dismantle, it is happening entirely because Blizz wants to erase their identity.

1 Like

It has nothing to do with their identity. I doubt that was ever a consideration to be blunt. What it boils down to is they wanted to resolve the night elf situation while also dealing with time and resource budget limits. So, they built a solution into the expansion and doubled it as an patch zone. That let them get double the value out of the same time, which makes the shareholders smile.

Remember—Time is money, friend.

Oh 100% this is the situation

Didnt they take ashenvale and dsrkshore back by the end of bfa? IIRC they still Have all their kalimdor land at this point.

1 Like

Then they should stop going on and saying “we wanna revisit old zones when the story allows” because they actively missed the chance to do so. And actively ignoring their identity should show how shallow their writing is.

Basically. They retook Talrendis, all the Horde actually explicitly has rn is Splintertree and the Lumber Camp, every other border is indicated to be Alliance or Kaldorei.

1 Like

It was genuinely worse when they showed in the Novellas that it was scaling down completely exposed cliffs… that going off the powers druids have, would’ve allowed Malfurion to just kill all of Saurfangs men by having the local Chimaera and storms pick them off while they defenselessly scaled the cliffs… and somehow they avoided any of the dangers of Felwood.

The entire invasion is so nonsensically written, it is borderline comedy until they actually try to make it matter.

7 Likes

Q’onzu would find a way to embrace their new life as a pile of ash and still being more interesting than most wild gods. :owl:

1 Like

Wowhead has an article highlighting the bond made between Voss and Shandris.

Off screen friendships and and not a single retrospective dialogue or story about Lilian’s and Forsaken’s role in causing everything in the first place.

I don’t see what the point of this is.
And the whole “No stop, violence bad, revenge bad… oh no but what about peace and love” is just so exhausting…

We were not. No. I was ill prepared and I led them all to their deaths. Catapults rained arcane fire on our ships. Infiltrators used the chaos to destroy the fleet.

Who rained the Arcane fire Shandris? Who? Who used infiltrators used the chaos to destroy the fleet? Who was it?

The smell of burning trees. I cannot get it out of my head. These Druids. Teldrassil.

Oh for christ sake.

Lilian Voss says: Someone told me that we all have pieces of our past that haunt us. But we’re working towards a better future–together.
Shandris Feathermoon says: I… Would like that.

Are you kidding me…

1 Like

Dream Elemental!

Fun Fact: The Time Elemental Model as we all know looks like a Golden Fire Elemental so it’s no surprise that the Dream Elemental looks like the closest thing available which is to say a Death Elemental.

It is an interesting combination, but I do wonder if we will get backstory on how that happened.