1001 Ways of Collecting Mounts in World of Warcraft

Many of the elements here could and probably should be applied to other aspects of the game, i.e. transmog items, toys, and pets, but to keep this post “short” I will restrict this to thoughts, ideas, and discussion on and about mounts only.

Daily rares

These would generally be categorised as a rare mob with a moderately short spawn timer (30 minutes to one hour) that you can kill on a daily basis and has a low chance to drop a mount >1%.

Good examples

• Junkheap Drifter (Rustfeather) and similar rares in Mechagon: Mechagon as a zone was quite approachable and the zone-wide alerts for many of the rare spawns was a good feature.
  • Waste Marauder (Rotfeaster) and similar rares in Uldum and Vale of Eternal Blossom during the Vision of N’zoth assaults: Similar to the warfronts rares, although with a daily chance when the assault is active, these work quite nicely.
  • Endmire Flyer (Famu) and similar rares in Shadowlands (Patch 9.0.2): The non-covenant specific mount drops had decent spawn times and accessible farms compared to their respective drop rates.

Bad examples

• Soundless: A daily rare spawn with a low drop chance and a very long random spawn timer. On top of this, it is also a hunter tamable pet, and has been the cause of much abuse in chat and whispers.
  • Garnet Razorwing (Reliwik the Defiant) and similar rares in Korthia: The random spawn rotations make it rough for players to identify what is available on a daily basis. You could potentially run into not seeing them for long periods of time if you are unable to play or log in on a daily basis.
  • Hopecrusher Gargon (Hopecrusher) and other similar covenant specific rares in Shadowlands (Patch 9.0.2): The covenant specific mount drops was cause of much confusion and frustration, and seeing as how difficult it was to change covenants initially, was not the best design. The mount journal, at the very least, should have reflected or hinted towards the requirements to get these. Having these drop for any covenant, but not being able to learn it unless you were part of said covenant, might have been a better solution?

Dungeons and Raids

Overall, the mounts available as rare drops from dungeons and raids seem to be tuned just fine, i.e. drakes in Cataclysm dungeons or Sharkbait from mythic Freehold, as well as the mounts you can get from raids, like the Abyss Worm or the mythic end boss mounts (that you can subsequently farm after the tier/expansion has ended).

Achievements and Meta Achievements

Generally, the game has moved more towards mounts being random world drops rather than awarded through achievements and progressive gameplay. While both has its place in the game, perhaps focus should be more on the latter rather than the former?

For example, adding new milestones for mount collections is past due. Many collectors have passed the 5, 6, and 700 mark, and the last achievement was the 400 collection mark, which was added back in Legion.

Good examples

• Awake the Drakes: An amazing mini-collection in a collection achievement. More stuff like this, please.
  • Naz’jatar: Although time-gated, this was a sort-of linear progression system that you could work towards daily and weekly.

Bad examples

• Glory of the Raider (25 player) and the Black Proto-Drake: The reward for this 25-man meta (and the 10 player equivalent with the Plagued Proto-Drake) was removed far too quickly and was met with a big backlash from the community. It felt unnecessary and unjust towards the many players that fought hard to finish the achievements, but simply failed to do so in a timely manner. Adding only one of these to the Black Market Auction house later on was also just a weird step.
  • Mechagon: Horrible randomised systems layered with rare spawns, rare drops, and daily or weekly quest rotations. This was not fun for the average player and required daily visits without a fault. Large portions of this should also have been progressable account-wide.

Mounts at exalted level are generally overpriced, i.e. Captured Swampwalker for 90,000 gold, Rustbolt Resister at 431,340 gold, etc. Spending a large amount of time and effort into reputations only to be met with a giant gold sinkhole feels rather unfulfilling and just leaves you with a rather empty feeling inside (your pocket).

Paragon

Callings and emissaries provide a decent amount of reputation towards the majority of reputations introduced. However, there are factions with a generally poor reputation structure, i.e. Uldum Accord, Rajani, Death’s Advance, Archivist Codex or Ve’nari, and in order to make any meaningful progress towards these, you are required to log in daily to do quests and kill rares for several hours.

Generally, the idea of having mounts in paragon boxes is “okay”, as long as this is coupled with some bad luck protection.

World Bosses and other “weeklies”

Good examples

• Son of Galleon (Galleon) and the other Mist of Pandaria world bosses: Although the drop rates are incredibly low (and probably deserve a slight increase), these mounts fit the bill quite well; coupled with the coin roll as an added bonus.
  • Lil’ Donkey (Overseer Krix) and similar rares in Arathi Highlands or Darkshore, available during the Battle for Azeroth warfronts: A fairly well-balanced system with good accessibility and spawn rates.
  • Mollie (Dunegorger Kraulok): Relatively high drop rate on a six week rotation seems just about at the edge of where it might tip over to being bad, but is something you can work towards at a more relaxed pace.

Bad examples

• None spring to mind

Events and Anniversaries

Mount rewards associated with events or anniversaries should generally be obtainable through participation in the activities or through the seasonal vendors with the currencies you acquire. The currencies especially should be transferable to next year’s event, so you can keep building on your past efforts and purchase mounts you missed out on previously.

There are so many exciting features to these events, and being stuck inside a small scenario day in and day out in the hopes for some randomness to go your way takes away all the fun that is happening out in the real world (of Azeroth (and Draenor (and Outlands (and Shadowlands)))).

Good examples

• Swift Lovebird (Love is in the Air): Something you could obtain relatively easy by doing daily activities either as part of the event or by killing mobs to craft additional love tokens.
  • Grumpus (Winter’s Veil): A daily box or something you could be fortunate enough to get gifted from a friend. Also something you could buy from other players if you had misbehaved too much that year and Santa didn’t pay a visit to your house.

Bad examples

• X-45 Heartbreaker (Love is in the Air): This is probably the worst offender in respect to availability and drop chance. It promotes an unhealthy behaviour where you feel forced to level up more characters to get more attempts done every year to counteract the random act of getting the mount. In general, the drop rates for mounts during the seasonal events feel unrewarding and keeps you away from the other elements that are typically associated with the event itself. Perhaps these could be moved to the vendors and cost an amount of event currency, perhaps not attainable for a single event, but over a couple of years, and you can build towards this along with participating in the event activities instead.

Unicorns and puzzles

Long hours camping, steadfast determination, or sheer force of will, you find it, and it’s finally yours! This portion is devoted to those rares or in-game puzzles that reward you upon completion.

Good examples

• Time-Lost Proto-Drake: A great long rare spawn coupled with a placeholder for the most determined collectors. The old version with first man to the punch was both exciting and rewarding, although the new party-lootable version is highly preferred and promotes grouping and social interaction on a different level. Good stuff!
  • Aeonaxx: Another long rare camp with a placeholder spawn, however, finding it is not only a thrilling experience but also instantly gratifying with a guaranteed mount if you are the first one there.
  • Poundfist, Silthide, Nakk the Thunderer, and Gorok: Great mount camps for the sturdy collectors. Each with their own short or long spawn timer and you are justly rewarded with a mount on the first kill. Poundfist in particular, although rather rough initially with the many server resets that didn’t let it spawn for a long time into Warlords of Draenor, was a very fun camp that brought together many players in Gorgrond.
  • Other mentions could be Voidtalon of the Dark Star, Grey Riding Camel, Long-Forgotten Hippogryph, Fabius, Frightened Kodo, Springfur Alpaca, Blanchy, etc.

Bad examples

• The Hivemind: This was a great puzzle, and worked really well at the beginning. Needing a group for it made it hard and thus became a massive boosting demand. As time moves on, this will be increasingly difficult to obtain for many players.

Unobtainables

Mounts lost to time, but quite possibly deserves a way back into the game. Here are some and ideas how they could make a return:

• Re-introducing old expansion mounts through the different Timewalking events, i.e. Pandaren Phoenixes from Mists of Pandaria silver challenge modes
  • Elite Vicious Saddle obtainable as a new secondary item; like the current Vicious Saddle. You progress towards this with arena wins past 2400 rating and can use them to buy gladiator mounts from previous seasons.
  • Adding more unobtainable mounts to the Black Market Auction House, i.e. Black Proto-Drake (since its Plagued cousin is there), Amani War Bear, etc.
  • Trading Card Game mounts re-introduced in digital card packages, perhaps through a mini in-game Hearthstone duelling system, or actually as rewards in Hearthstone itself (take your pick).
9 Likes

I’m going to have to disagree here. The drop rate is pretty low and for people that do want the mount, but aren’t explicitly tracking older content, it’s so easy to miss this boss, as it’s only once every 6 weeks.

Mollie is the perfect example of how to not do it. This boss should’ve been up every week for the drop rate it has. I didn’t get Mollie until 9.1 and I had ~5 alts killing the boss on average. It didn’t help that sometimes I forgot to simply do it, because it’s old content.

The same goes for the rares in the rotations of the 8.3 assaults. You have to keep track of the rotation and then also of all the rares every day during that rotation with a pretty long respawn time if you want to farm it.

Killing the same world boss or rare over and over on multiple alts while also having to wait like 15~30 minutes between kills is just a waste of time. Maybe some people can afford to do this, but lots of people also have limited time to play, and there’s nothing else to do other than stand afk at the spawn and hope you get to tag it in time.

This :100:x over. Content should never be removed and remain accessible. FOMO content is atrocious and deserves to be destroyed with a mana bomb.

12 Likes

Pretty much had me on everything except this. No reason we should be opening up old glad mounts to be obtainable again.

All the good examples of mounts dropping off rares were some of the most fun ive had Wpvp wise because of the giant fights people would get into to steal the rare from the other faction. Rustfeather being probs the hot spot last expansion for pvp.

I think ive gotten most of them just from making sure the alliance dont get it.

Also dont think we should be giving people old mounts from TCG im sure they can come up with new stuff for/from hearthstone

12 Likes

Bringing back glad mounts and even CM mounts seems like a really, really bad idea. Over 5% of the ladder got gladiator last season, do you think it is reasonable to give away mounts that were percentage based for getting wins above 2400? I don’t, I think that is pretty ridiculous actually.

CM mounts should stay in the past too. It would set a terrible precedent if they started bringing things like this back.

Also, TCG mounts aren’t unobtainable, they are just extremely rare. You can already get a few of them on the BMAH, but I don’t see a reason to devalue them by adding them to Hearthstone.

It’s OK for some things to be rare, not everything needs to be available to everyone all the time.

7 Likes

Why not? They have no value, people just want a cool mount that fits their set.

4 Likes

They could earn it when it was avaliable if they really want it

4 Likes

They have value to the people that put in considerable effort to acquire them, beating out tons of other players to take a limited spot at the top of the ladder.

There are hundreds and hundreds of available mounts for people to match with their mog. I don’t think we need to return one of the few prestigious rewards left in the game so people can match a mount to their mog. That is just silly.

6 Likes

For a lot of people it’s either buying it with boosts, or never see it at all because they don’t PvP. There’s no reason to gatekeep mounts behind PvP content for eternity.

Often there’s only a handful of mounts that have a matching color scheme.

Disagreed. There’s no reason to gatekeep mounts for more than an expansion. If you want prestige, titles are more than enough imo, no need to limit customization for that.

6 Likes

You are saying this like it is a negative towards these rewards, but the entire point of them is that they are rare and prestigious and were only earned by those at the top of the ladder. The fact that not many people were able to get them is intended.

Sorry, but you’re never going to convince me that someone having a hard time matching the mount they AFK on in Oribos with one mog set is worth devaluing prestigious rewards that a lot of people worked extremely hard for.

Gladiators get no permanent titles, they go away after the season ends. The prestige reward for gladiators is the mount and always has been. That’s more than enough reason not to bring them back now.

4 Likes

It’s not like PvP is any different, so there’s no reason to make it unobtainable. put it behind 1k marks of honor for example. I’m extremely annoyed by not being able to get any of the old PvP mounts despite doing a ton of Epic Battlegrounds.

1 Like

Some things you just cannot get but if you liked this season you still have plenty of time. Big difference between unobtainable and difficult but missing the window for something sometimes means its gone

Gotta agree with Worldpvp here as well.

I don’t have a single glad mount, and I do have quite a few Vicious Saddle Mounts. The Gladiator mounts are now, and have always been timegated to a season. If you want it, try your hand at getting it. Yes, it’s hard. But it should be, and there shouldn’t be a way for them to come back in.

There is a big difference between FOMO Content, and FOMO cosmetics.
FOMO Cosmetics are fine. FOMO Content isn’t.

FOMO Content is the Ordos Questline from MoP being removed, FOMO Cosmetics are the Amani War Bear, and Black Proto Drake’s of the game. Items like that don’t make you more powerful, they aren’t additional content, just proof that you did that content before it was removed.
Again, this is coming from someone who doesn’t have any of this stuff.

4 Likes

It feels like what you are saying here is that PvP is the same no matter what format it is in? I hope not, surely you can understand that 3v3 arena matches played in the top 0.5% of the ladder are basically a world away from unrated PvP of any kind, especially epics where your personal contribution is diluted by 39 other people.

There are people that have thousands of marks from autocompleting world quests in Legion. You can get them in epics without engaging a single player if your team wins. This is not a good solution in the slightest.

This is understandable, there aren’t many good cosmetic rewards for unrated PvP. But you should be advocating for new rewards, probably through the honor level system, rather than trying to take away trophies that required immense effort to obtain.

3 Likes

All of this. Completely Agreed.

2 Likes

100% agree with everything Bluster is saying. They should have better rewards for unrated pvp but not touch what people have earned previously.

1 Like

I utterly detest rare mount drops, because I never seem to get them. Take Korthia, for example: I still don’t have a single one of the rare mount drops from that zone, despite doing it almost every day for the entirety of 9.1. That feels awful. Heck… I still don’t have most of the rare mount/toy/cosmetic drops from the original Shadowlands rares.

Rare mounts/pets/cosmetics need to be handled like the Armored Bonehoof Tauralus mount that drops off Sabriel the Bonecleaver in Maldraxxus. It’s also purchasable from a vendor in the Seat of the Primus for 100 Offerings. Even if you need an obscene amount of tokens to purchase a rare drop, it at least feels better to know you’re making progress towards obtaining something rather than doing the same content over and over for months with absolutely nothing to show for it.

The Synthesis Forge is a great solution to this problem. I’ve crafted about half the mounts and I’ll actually work on making the pets afterwards because I can drop into Zereth Mortis for a bit and see actual progress towards being able to craft something new. Even if I don’t get the rare item or lattice that I am hunting, I’m at least gathering up some of the thousands of motes that I’ll need to finish that project.

6 Likes

I’d love to see consistent respawn timers for Sha and Nalak, like Galleon/Oondasta/Rukhmar have. Exactly 15 minutes and they’re back up.
Sometimes you’re waiting 12 minutes for Nalak, sometimes you’re waiting for 20 minutes, it’s completely random, and very frustrating.
They die 5 seconds after they respawn, so if you’re tabbed out to check something or grabbing a glass of water, that’s another random 10-20 minutes of staring at your screen.
Shorter respawn timers would also go a long way to making the world boss grind less time consuming without really affecting the overall rarity of the mounts.

It’d also be nice to see BoP versions of the TCG mounts added to the BMAH. It would allow them to remain relatively rare and expensive, while not allowing folks with monopolies on the supply to price gauge for absurdly expensive prices.

6 Likes