GD: 1001 Ways of Collecting Mounts in World of Warcraft

Some interesting post around mount collecting, my only feedback as mount collector for this topic is that Blizzard should move to a philosophy focus on players with a single character as default for the acquisition, the game when it was released was really difficult to keep with alts, now it’s easier but this mechanic also became the meta for collectors and sometimes it’s just a sloot machine.

If the MoP World Bosses could be farm without weekly lockout or the Love rocket didn’t change from its first iteration (since you could spam the dungeon before some changes) every player will have the same field about farming it just like Rivendare’s Deathcharger now.

That’s why the last anniversary mount from the Doomwalker changed from low drop to 100% via hotfix because for a celebration players even with 50 alts couldn’t get it, there’s a middle ground and Blizzard should focus on an equal field for 1…N characters, so new players could have the same chance to any cosmetic in game since day 1.

The idea around sloot machine drops and the carrot in the stick is outdated and that’s show by how other games handle cosmetics grinds, bad luck, events…etc which will be reflected on WoW overtime because a lot of players tried new things, 9.2 protoform synthesis was a good approach to RNG on almost all items, I did the 24 mounts with 4 characters, mostly i needed just my main but a couple of items didn’t drop and I used alts to skip the weekly lockouts. And the Dev that created this asked for feedback via twitter which shows that now they want to listed about feedback and changes around their rewarding systems.

1 Like

What is with people wanting old Glad mounts to come back lmao.

“Wins past 2400” means literally nothing. When old mounts were from being on top 0.5% of the ladder, just getting wins past 2400 from playing comps like Ret/Warr, RMP, or MLX anytime this xpac or double Destro last xpac, etc. is not even remotely close to being the same thing. Awful idea.

Even just looking at BFA / SL mounts, playing one comp that is complete faceroll to glad one season when you couldn’t get glad playing that comp or whatever in a previous season.

I will never understand that train of thought.

1 Like

I understand it. Even if they’re put in the BMAH. The reasoning is to remove fomo and because collecting has become a huge part of the game for people. And WoW has gradually shifted more to a collecting completionist kind of game. New players can’t really collect these mounts because they’re not attainable in the game anymore and that kind of turns people away. Most of the players who attained old glad mounts aren’t even playing the game these days.

1 Like

I’ve never met a single person who is new to the game who looks at an old glad mount and goes:

“Man, I don’t like this game anymore because I can’t this an old mount from a seasonal activity that I probably wouldn’t be able to get when it was available anyway.”

That’s a made up argument to support the idea of removing “FOMO” stuff. A bad one at that btw, when people, regardless of when they started playing can get 95+% of the mounts in the game.

I guess I was just told “No” when I was growing up, so I’m not entitled to get stuff that I didn’t work for.

2 Likes

From my point of view, there’s 2 approaches.

1. Glad mounts are a representation of that season and change WoW into a seasonal game since these were included.

2. The game could be like any other game that has cosmetics not attached to seasons like the vicious mounts now, that you can get by participating to a certain lvl of skill, as you mentioned every season depending of the balance and everything else, some combinations will get it easier but players could have multiple rewards at once instead of just 1.

Well it’s not fun to collect things when you know you won’t be able to collect them all. It’s like playing a Pokémon game and being told you can’t collect a few of them because they aren’t available anymore

Council members defending that Glad Mounts don’t have the same mechanic that Vicious mount on which once you reach a goal, you can accomplish this again and earn another reward from a pool, which is a good idea for new players, returning players and general player base, it still maintain the requirements and avoid the seasonal fomo effect for some players.

The argument is the value around that mount representation, so why they don’t mention that Blizzard already diminish that perception of value when they make Glad mounts usable by any character, basically you can pick the best classes every patch and use those to achieve glad and then use the mount in another class, I think that in a game on which the balance is not their strong for pvp, a pool of rewards could promote more pvp participation for some players during some season and if during that patch your main class is OP, you can take advantage and farm or select the cosmetic that you desire.

I was once an avid collector, i just don’t care anymore, i don’t have it in me to play both factions, every class, every class hall, every covenant etc etc, not to mention the fact that over the last decade or so, Blizzard only implements mount collecting achievements and rewards for milestones that we hit years earlier. These days i just play my main, zero alts, and only go for super low hanging fruit.

2 Likes

That’s exactly pokemon though. Silver and gold did not have the same pokemon from back in blue/red so you could infact not get them all.