10 levels and no stronger than the end of BFA

Has it ever occurred to you that those might not be the same people?

12 Likes

But… they didn’t make old world content relevant… like… at all. Difficulty =/= Relevancy.

19 Likes

To be fair I was NEVER one of those people. I actually kept telling people back then to keep their mouths shut because when blizzard think they are “fixing” something, what they are actually doing is ruining beyond repair for a large majority of people. Ie, exactly whats happened now.

I can’t begin to tell you the amount of times I have told people to be “careful what they wish for” with blizz. And sadly I was right :’(

7 Likes

come on don’t get baited that easily… :sleeping:

1 Like

That should tell you just how out of wack the power scaling in BFA was at the end. Once Blizzard got a better handle on AZ trait balance, I really enjoyed BFA. Until they throw it all out the window with the OP corruption system.

the only question left that I have for this thread is how many freaking stat squishes are they going to do to us? every single expansion another stat squish? it creates more problems than it solves.

4 Likes

The sad thing about all of this is that we have been screaming since prepatch (some have been screaming since beta) about this messed up scaling, and it’s either fallen on deaf ears or got the typical “hurp durp get mythic geared at 60 and try again!”. I have little hope in anything actually being done about this anymore.

7 Likes

Boy, all you do is carry water for this team, eh?

6 Likes

It’s almost like they see power growth as an issue for developing content, so they decided to just scrap that part of the game.

Someone at Blizzard thinks that people care more about collecting gear for appearance sake than they do in the RPG part where you want to get stronger from that gear.

Someone at Blizzard has decided that gamers care more about vanity items than they do about gameplay.

Gear really only matters if you pvp or you need to unlock content tiers.

Gear is literally only a gating mechanic that only serves to enable what you look like outside of the content that it gates.

People wanted to be on the same level as people that raided.

Congratulations to them.

I’m farming Firelands every week for the stave. Right before Shadowlands, at lv 50, I could 1-hit every boss. After Shadowlands, I need to hit 5 times every boss to get a kill.

Note: this was on my main a lv 60 warlock. Need the whole rotation spells to down a boss from ages ago. At lv 50, it was all fine.

7 Likes

This is because “spreadsheet Ion” doesn’t take all the rented power into consideration that we lose every expansion. They are not doing this right and at some point, people will leave. I already unsubbed but I still have 4 months to go before my gametime runs out.

3 Likes

This is the problem with not only legacy content, but current content as well. Yes, everything within the expansion scales to level, but that just lemme to feeling weak. As we progress we should be more powerful, not just feeling the same the entire way through. At current, you start at 50 and all the great and levels you gain mean Jack, because yes that me staff you picked up is don’t, bit a single mob takes just add long to kill at 60 with new gear, as it did at 50 with no new gear.

4 Likes

Don’t argue with people like that. I made a post about this very thing and people in it thought I was nuts and said like, “Oh no 1 whole minute longer to kill a raid boss” etc. yet they were clueless on how bad that is since that means I won’t really be able to kill many bosses whereas in BfA I was able to clear some mythic bosses in Nighthold already. Now can only do 1 or 2. Makes 0 sense being 10 levels higher and 40 ilvl higher.

We should not be scaling to old content. Only new. This has NEVER been an issue until now and needs to be fixed.

I am willing to bet Blizzard didn’t take Azerite gear, corruption and the neck into consideration when they tuned old raids.

10 Likes

they do, actually. i’d prefer if they kept the previous expansion at a moderate difficulty(without nerfing rewards) while making the rest faceroll though.

Yeah, people were using absolute numbers to defend blizz instead of looking at the damn percentages. “Oh no it takes you a whole 20 seconds longer to kill a boss? Cry more”, ignoring the fact that “20 seconds longer” represented more than double the time. Or just trolling…one of the two. Or both, especially by certain "MVP"s.

5 Likes

The pre-patch brought scaling updates with it that changed world quest mobs which used to be 1-2 shot kills with the gear you had by the end of BfA. Suddenly, they took a much longer amount of time to kill, at the same (supposed) level with the same gear. That was very clearly a deliberate design choice.

So I doubt that mobs scaling past 50 so they take just as long to kill is in ANY way accidental. This is more of Ion’s sacred “time in combat” design style, where everything is balanced not on how much fun something is, but how long it takes to kill.

They don’t deserve the benefit of the doubt here. They introduced ilvl scaling secretly, remember, and only admitted to it when they were caught out.

That seems to be the design philosophy now - “just don’t tell them, they’ll get upset”.

Yep - and he has outright said on multiple occasions (including the Q&As) that stomping content you outgear is “not fun”.

A huge chunk of the playerbase would disagree with that vehemently. Stomping content you outlevel is one of the great joys of an MMO - at least, any MMO with a real progression system, not one designed entirely around “seasons” (ugh).

Even with the rented power, at level 50 after pre-patch, things took way longer to kill than they exact same things did the previous day in the exact same gear.

This is nothing to do with losing corruptions or anything else. This is revisionist “difficulty” by design.

14 Likes

I know this has been said multiple times but I hate ilvl scaling as well. I don’t mind mobs getting harder when more people join but I never feel progression in pve when my ilvl goes up 5 points and a mob gains 5k hp.

12 Likes

Yep. They’ve been dancing around this kind of a power scaling nerf since Legion, and it looks as if they’ve finally followed through completely. I wouldn’t be surprised at all to learn that the ‘level squish’ wasn’t just a cover for the true objective of strategically weakening players vs. old content to ‘stretch things out’ even more for the benefit of Mr. Excel Sheet himself.

I’ve been reading articles since early 2018 encouraging Blizzard to terminate Ion - several them are still up. And yet, with each passing year, all he seems to do is tighten his grip and subvert more of the content. Though it is a bitter consolation prize, at least he will go to his grave being known as the guy who killed World of Warcraft.

9 Likes

I decided to go do one of the Nzoth assaults on my level 60 to see how easily I can kill things now. Welp… let’s just say it didn’t go great. It takes me twice as much time as before. This is NOT normal. This game needed the sense of progression and they killed it off.

10 Likes

I’m not sure if he’s as villainous as portrayed. Titanforging was killed under his watch (but then again BFA released under his watch too…). I don’t know whose watch Titanforging came out under though - was it his?